Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great excuse for a delay

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Talking Great excuse for a delay

Sitting in YXE waiting for AC1120 to depart. Delayed, awaiting crew. They just announced that the crew is still at their hotel, and a guy just walked up and said the following - "my friend X is staying at the same hotel as the crew. They don't have hot water, and the crew's collective agreement states that they must have a shower before they can fly. They are waiting for the hot water to be fixed, then will shower, then will come to the airport".

No idea how the friend knows that this is going on, but I would guess there are hordes of guests in the lobby asking what the h3ll is going on. I definitely believe that this is generally true - I want a shower before I go to work - but you have to imagine that a significant delay will cost AC a fair amount. All over the hotel hot water...

At this point, I have time - a 4 hour layover in YYZ at thetransborder MLL turned to a 2 hour won't kill me.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
1 hour delay (they have arrived) for a shower. Hope they actually got one. I don't need a smelly crew serving my substandard breakfast
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by canadatosiberia
They don't have hot water, and the crew's collective agreement states that they must have a shower before they can fly. They are waiting for the hot water to be fixed, then will shower, then will come to the airport".
But does the CA say they have to have a hot shower, or just any shower? Also, how long before they fly?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
IIIRC the wording was something like allowing time for "rest and hygiene", in other words, a sh.., shower 'n shave.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by WhiteYUL
IIIRC the wording was something like allowing time for "rest and hygiene", in other words, a sh.., shower 'n shave.
What is the "sh.."? That doesn't require hot water does it?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: Confirmed
why can't they be brought intl MLL for a shower....
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by yscleo
Not unless you're doing it wrong.

And which hotel did this happen to be? Just out of a sense of YXE nostalgia...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKRan
why can't they be brought intl MLL for a shower....
No MLL in YXE. Heard one is coming, which will be well deserved.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Only when you use an upscale bidet
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:11 pm

The flight actually departed 45 minutes late.

As the flight was scheduled to depart at 6:00 AM I would assume the crew slept as late as possible before having to depart the hotel. The crew has to be at the airport 1 hour prior to departure (5:00 AM). Let's assume it takes them 30 minutes to get ready and 30 minutes to get to the airport.. They would have put in for a 4:00 AM wake-up call. If none of the rooms had hot water, there would have been a flurry of phone calls from room to room, room to front desk, etc. to find out what was going on. If the hotel said the hot water would be back imminently I can understand the crew waiting for it. I know I would. At some point though I suppose you have to suck it up and have a cold shower.

By the way, it's not as if the pilots on that flight go home when they get to YYZ. They have to hang around at the airport in YYZ for 2 hours and then do another flight.

There would have been at least 2 flight attendants as well, probably with long duty days also.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

The big question: Does their contract specify a HOT shower?

Only in Japan.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The big question: Does their contract specify a HOT shower?

Only in Japan.

I don't know if there is anything in the collective agreement, however I would assume the Canadian Air Regs (CARS) mandate that proper hygiene facilities must be provided at all layover points. Especially true for anyone handling food.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Best reason for a delay I had was the Canada vs US women's hockey final for Vancouver Olympics. Flight from YYZ to YVR was delayed for no apparent reason..but we were all happy we got to watch the game. Literally as soon as game was over, crew showed up and we boarded.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by DoctorDoug
I don't know if there is anything in the collective agreement, however I would assume the Canadian Air Regs (CARS) mandate that proper hygiene facilities must be provided at all layover points. Especially true for anyone handling food.
Meh...

I've had to take a cold shower a couple of times in my life to make it to work on time. I lived through it.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Meh...

I've had to take a cold shower a couple of times in my life to make it to work on time. I lived through it.
One day I woke up later than I had planned, after my building's water had been shut off for maintenance.

So I showered at work. Lots of offices have showers these days. Large airports also have showers, so why couldn't they have showered in the MLL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.