FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Mileage run guru wanted (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1417009-mileage-run-guru-wanted.html)

RevvedUp Dec 26, 2012 10:04 am

Originally Posted by RevvedUp (Post 19893065)
Today I'm flying YYC-YYZ via NRT. So...not crazy at all.

Was fun, and will be SE for the first time ever next year. I gotta give it to you all who get SE year after year...that is a sh!t-ton of flying.

(Took AC009 to NRT, got off, walked around, had a shower in the ANA lounge, then got back on AC002 to YYZ. Upgraded both ways. The most satisfying part of the trip was that the upgrade system viewed it as YYC-YYZ and only charged me 4 upgrade credits, total!)

canadiancow Dec 26, 2012 10:28 am

Originally Posted by RevvedUp (Post 19922627)
Was fun, and will be SE for the first time ever next year. I gotta give it to you all who get SE year after year...that is a sh!t-ton of flying.

(Took AC009 to NRT, got off, walked around, had a shower in the ANA lounge, then got back on AC002 to YYZ. Upgraded both ways. The most satisfying part of the trip was that the upgrade system viewed it as YYC-YYZ and only charged me 4 upgrade credits, total!)

I wonder if that upgrade loophole generally works. Although I'm not sure it's even a loophole, since your origin was YYC and your destination was YYZ.

Tedgrrrr Dec 26, 2012 11:13 am

Wait time for Shower?

meant to start a new thread. lulz

mendy7511 Dec 26, 2012 11:54 am

he most satisfying part of the trip was that the upgrade system viewed it as YYC-YYZ and only charged me 4 upgrade credits, total!)

How would you book the ticket so AC views it as one ticket YYC-NRT-YYZ?

RevvedUp Dec 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by mendy7511 (Post 19923174)
How would you book the ticket so AC views it as one ticket YYC-NRT-YYZ?

I just booked it as a multicity itinerary.

Argonaut1000 Dec 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Why would you be charged 4 credits? Surely the cost of a M-fare YYC-NRT-YYZ ticket would be a fairly expensive MR.

RevvedUp Dec 26, 2012 5:54 pm

:confused:

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000 (Post 19924045)
Why would you be charged 4 credits? Surely the cost of a M-fare YYC-NRT-YYZ ticket would be a fairly expensive MR.

Yeah it wasn't cheap, but I needed to get back to YYZ (last minute trip) and it was a pretty reasonable MR taking into account how much they wanted for a last minute Y/B/J fare from YYC to YYZ. Flights were crazy busy late last week.

zsm1928 Dec 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by RevvedUp (Post 19923990)
I just booked it as a multicity itinerary.

If its a multi city ticket why did they treat it as YYZ-YYC? Shouldn't each leg be its own destination?

gtpdiddy Dec 27, 2012 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan (Post 19885930)
Okay... you've convinced me. :D

So here's what I'd like to find:

A mileage run that would allow me, over the course of two or three long (Friday-Tuesday if need be) weekends in January & February, to earn 50K.

I'm based in YQR, BTW, which makes the planning and connecting extra fun.

I'd love to concentrate in Europe as I've travelled extensively there. Making hops back and forth to Paris would be fine by me. Stop for dinner, come home next morning :)

I'd prefer to do most of the flights on AC metal, as I still have some e-upgrade points I could try to use on one or more of the legs.

But finding routings at low(ish) cost and making sure I'm on *A partners that offer 100% status miles is the trick.

And yes, I know there will be a cost :)

Any suggestions of routes and fares that might fit the bill?

Thanks all!

Not sure if Jan/Feb has good fares, but SQ LAX-NRT-SIN has been pretty cheap, and SIN-BKK-FRA-YYZ/US cities then your home city are iminently doable. That could clock you over 20K miles

If feasible to get more miles you can do a stop at SYD from NRT/SIN/ICN just to hit the southern hemisphere, or maybe JNB-Asia on SAA?

AirbusFan Dec 28, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks for that suggestion as well, gtpdiddy. Do flights on SQ all count as 100% status miles? It appears so from the AC website, but I thought others might know for sure. I'd sure rather fly in SQ's economy than UA's from what I've read.

Found fares connecting me from YYC to LAX and then to SIN, but also wondered if the AC flights (YYC-YVR-LAX) would count as 100% status. Would be a horrible realization after the fact, to find out that SQ connections on AC metal were booked in T or something! :)

margarita girl Dec 28, 2012 11:25 am

If booked as an AC code share, chances are your SQ flights won't earn miles.

AirbusFan Dec 28, 2012 12:26 pm

The fare codes that came up when I tried making the booking on the SQ site indicated they were T+ for the Canada-US portion, and were the right codes to qualify for status miles. Is that always a good indicator? Or if its a code share, then are all bets off?

mendy7511 Dec 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan (Post 19934306)
The fare codes that came up when I tried making the booking on the SQ site indicated they were T+ for the Canada-US portion, and were the right codes to qualify for status miles. Is that always a good indicator? Or if its a code share, then are all bets off?

Unless you are buying directly from SQ and verifying fare class, all bets are off.
T+ means nothing to SQ and they can book it to the cheapest fare if it is a code share purchased from AC.

AirbusFan Dec 28, 2012 12:37 pm

This is all good to know

I was booking on the SQ website, and when reviewing the flights, the code for the AC portion YyC-LAX came up as a V fare, which according to AC's site should be a good 100% fare category for Canada-US flights.

Am I safe, do you think?

margarita girl Dec 28, 2012 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan (Post 19934306)

I don't know about AC flights on the SQ website, but if booking SQ flights on the AC website, you can see what the fare codes earn here.