FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Mileage run guru wanted (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1417009-mileage-run-guru-wanted.html)

AirbusFan Dec 13, 2012 7:17 am

Mileage run guru wanted

Is there an AC mileage run guru out there who would enjoy a challenge? I would love to talk with someone who knows their way around, as I try a (frankly, insane) idea out. :)

PM me if you would be interested in helping/mentoring me as I sketch things out.

Thanks,
T

payam81 Dec 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Why not just post? Plenty 'gurus' around.

yerffej201 Dec 14, 2012 1:00 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan (Post 19848927)
Is there an AC mileage run guru out there who would enjoy a challenge? I would love to talk with someone who knows their way around, as I try a (frankly, insane) idea out. :)

PM me if you would be interested in helping/mentoring me as I sketch things out.

Thanks,
T

Is it a secret? I want to know! Or maybe it's YQ dumping... hm... :o
One more thing: why would you run for Aeropesos? :confused:

HerpaYvr Dec 14, 2012 7:07 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan (Post 19848927)

Thanks,
T

Come on now share as why have one expert when you can have several hundreads ^

Global guy Dec 14, 2012 8:11 am

Paging Margarita Girl !

yulhammeryyz Dec 14, 2012 8:26 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by Global guy
Paging Margarita Girl !

She's already receiving travel agent requests in the SPG forum

AirbusFan Dec 14, 2012 9:16 am

I figured my idea might be so crazy as to be met with derision :)

Wanted to bounce it off an expert first.

It still may be crazy ;)

hearna Dec 14, 2012 10:19 am

Either way you will be judged; might as well post it here to maximise feedback; perhalps many people have better ideas than 1...

RCyyz Dec 14, 2012 11:17 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan (Post 19855761)

By definition, people on FT are not normal relative to society at large. Your idea may be crazy by normal standards but may not be by FT ones.

I suggest you just post and get the benefit of the FT Collective working for you.

cmatteotti Dec 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz (Post 19856565)
By definition, people on FT are not normal relative to society at large. Your idea may be crazy by normal standards but may not be by FT ones.

^^^

YQMer Dec 14, 2012 3:12 pm

OP, the crazier it is, the better! You must realize this "support group" we have going here exists in part because it makes us feel better about our own crazy obsessions...

global happy traveller Dec 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Make sure u have a chiropractor handy

HerpaYvr Dec 14, 2012 3:41 pm

It still may be crazy ;)

Many of us here are nuts anyways. I have done so many mileage runs, runs that scare off others or won’t even be consider by some which I have been “criticized” or made fun of by others, but hey it does not faze me as when I become supreme commander of Earth, I will remember these people :D.

Life is too short, got to have fun and experience what you can and don’t let those who are afraid of living life scare you off. :)

KenHamer Dec 14, 2012 5:16 pm

It still may be crazy ;)

This is a forum where purchasing $3100 of chocolate pudding or flying YVR-YUL via MEX is not only considered rational, but virtuous.

You'll have a hard time coming up with a scheme that anyone would think was "crazy."

Tedgrrrr Dec 14, 2012 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr (Post 19858238)
Many of us here are nuts anyways. I have done so many mileage runs, runs that scare off others or won’t even be consider by some which I have been “criticized” or made fun of by others, but hey it does not faze me as when I become supreme commander of Earth, I will remember these people :D.

Life is too short, got to have fun and experience what you can and don’t let those who are afraid of living life scare you off. :)

I can vouch for that... I upgraded Herpa on FIVE flights to get him from one large Canadian city to another large Canadian city!

AirbusFan Dec 19, 2012 8:11 am

Okay... you've convinced me. :D

So here's what I'd like to find:

A mileage run that would allow me, over the course of two or three long (Friday-Tuesday if need be) weekends in January & February, to earn 50K.

I'm based in YQR, BTW, which makes the planning and connecting extra fun.

I'd love to concentrate in Europe as I've travelled extensively there. Making hops back and forth to Paris would be fine by me. Stop for dinner, come home next morning :)

I'd prefer to do most of the flights on AC metal, as I still have some e-upgrade points I could try to use on one or more of the legs.

But finding routings at low(ish) cost and making sure I'm on *A partners that offer 100% status miles is the trick.

And yes, I know there will be a cost :)

Any suggestions of routes and fares that might fit the bill?

Thanks all!

Boogie711 Dec 19, 2012 8:17 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan (Post 19885930)
Okay... you've convinced me. :D

So here's what I'd like to find:

A mileage run that would allow me, over the course of two or three long (Friday-Tuesday if need be) weekends in January & February, to earn 50K.

I'm based in YQR, BTW, which makes the planning and connecting extra fun.

I'd love to concentrate in Europe as I've travelled extensively there. Making hops back and forth to Paris would be fine by me. Stop for dinner, come home next morning :)

I'd prefer to do most of the flights on AC metal, as I still have some e-upgrade points I could try to use on one or more of the legs.

But finding routings at low(ish) cost and making sure I'm on *A partners that offer 100% status miles is the trick.

And yes, I know there will be a cost :)

Any suggestions of routes and fares that might fit the bill?

Thanks all!

"Low(ish) cost" and "AC Metal" don't belong in the same paragraph. If you want 50K in only 2 or 3 trips, Europe is out. You're better to look to Asia/Africa/Australia. After all, YYZ-LHR is only 8k(ish).

KenHamer Dec 19, 2012 8:23 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

The standard high mileage run for eastern Canada used to be ORD-SIN on UA. (The SIN run.). But with only 2 weekend left in the year you're kinda late.

AirbusFan Dec 19, 2012 8:32 am

Hadn't thought too seriously about SIN before, but that's certainly a way of racking up points in a hurry.

I'm doing this in January & February so there's still time. :)

Boogie711 Dec 19, 2012 8:39 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer (Post 19885998)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

The standard high mileage run for eastern Canada used to be ORD-SIN on UA. (The SIN run.). But with only 2 weekend left in the year you're kinda late.

He's looking for 2013. OP: I tried YQR to ICN... But alas... that's a Tango run. If you want 100% status miles, you're pooched to do it for under $2k. If you could do a positioning run it would be easier, but this going back and forth to Regina thing is going to kill you.

You can do UA via ORD to HKG or NRT for around $1100, but the price of Aerolotto is twice that.

Boogie711 Dec 19, 2012 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Boogie711 (Post 19886086)
He's looking for 2013. OP: I tried YQR to ICN... But alas... that's a Tango run. If you want 100% status miles, you're pooched to do it for under $2k. If you could do a positioning run it would be easier, but this going back and forth to Regina thing is going to kill you.

You can do UA via ORD to HKG or NRT for around $1100, but the price of Aerolotto is twice that.

By the way... If you do YQR to HKG via ORD on UA 3 consecutive weekends, its 52k.

I tried to do it twice and threw in a run to Paris for your dinner date, but it only spits out 45k.

And not to be a REAL Debbie Downer, but even if you could find a reasonably priced AC metal fare, for most of these routes your ecredits would probably be useless... I understand they're incredibly tough upgrades.

AirbusFan Dec 19, 2012 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Boogie711 (Post 19886138)
even if you could find a reasonably priced AC metal fare, for most of these routes your ecredits would probably be useless... I understand they're incredibly tough upgrades.

I know. Tried it a few times this past year, and only got one seat once (not too good when the better half doesn't get upgraded too!). ;)

AirbusFan Dec 19, 2012 8:58 am

Does HKG or SIN require special travel docs? Or is it easy to do a MR there? (Don't want to get stuck in the Hooscow) ;)

Academic Dec 19, 2012 9:02 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan (Post 19886217)
Does HKG or SIN require special travel docs? Or is it easy to do a MR there? (Don't want to get stuck in the Hooscow) ;)

No special requirements. It's easy to get in and out of HK on the Airport Express if you want to spend some time there.

PhotoJim Dec 19, 2012 11:19 am

Air Canada will sometimes let you run YQR-YVR-LHR and you can certainly run YQR-(YEG|YYC)-LHR but you'd still need to do those a few times to get enough miles.

If you need 50K miles, two trips to Sydney/Melbourne plus another 10K-ish will do it. Long way to go for a long weekend though, when the trip down there is almost 24 hours. You can go Friday night on Air Canada through Vancouver with only a one-ish hour connection at YVR, but the second Vancouver flight doesn't run every day and the fare is not attractive (and you'd need Tango Plus, at a higher cost, to get full miles).

RCyyz Dec 19, 2012 11:32 am

Too bad you didn't take advantage of the UA fare in F. They had MIA or BOS to PEK or PVG for $3K on an A fare. With COS you could have made the 50K in 2 runs and wouldn't have needed any eCerts at all.

Anyhow, it's worth considering EZE in addition to Asia. I agree with others that Europe is too short a hop to get to 50K efficiently. (Unless you travel on Z fares and get COS. For example, check out PHL-CDG on US.)

If you loosen the AC metal requirement, you could find some interesting routes in the US. Someone also posted recently some hidden city routes such as YYC-YYZ-DFW.

AirbusFan Dec 19, 2012 11:33 am

The HKG idea sparked this thought:

YQR-ORD-HKG & ret = 17568 UA
YQR-ORD-HKG & ret = 17568 UA
YQR-YYZ-CDG & ret = 10028 AC
YQR-YYC-SFO-LAS-SFO-ORD-YQR = 5354 AC
-------

Needle Hill Dec 19, 2012 11:49 am

I am doing a MR
YYZ-LHR-SIN return on SQ $2368 for 20600 miles in Feb. due to time constraint.

If you have time, you can try
YQR-ORD-SIN-NRT-LAX-YQR on UA $1578 for 20682 miles

Antonio8069 Dec 19, 2012 12:26 pm

MR's from YQR

IF you have never done a MR, I don't suggest starting with Asia!
My 1st MR was to CPH and I then moved on to TUS, PHX, & LAS. IST is next.
In the MR forum, there are good deals to HNL (from YYC on AC metal), also ANC via SEA.
Most of my MR's are on UA. I check their site daily, as they undersell AC! Pay close attention to fare codes! (I 1st bought IST on LH, then I realized the fare did not include status miles, and cancelled using the 24 hour rule!)
I don't get too concerned about flying on AC metal......the min re-qualifier is only 10K, which you can get with one trip to the continent. Also, AC is not exactly fertile ground for MRs! From YQR, you are going to need to take some re-positioning flights anyway (ORD, LAX, DEN, etc.) so use these to re-qualify/use up e-upgrades.

Tax Dude Dec 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan (Post 19886048)
Hadn't thought too seriously about SIN before, but that's certainly a way of racking up points in a hurry.

I'm doing this in January & February so there's still time. :)

Well, you're in luck. There will be a gathering of the crazies (also known as a "Do") in Singapore on the weekend of Jan 18th-20th. See this link for details.

I've managed about 40k in the first two months of the year a couple of times, it's not that hard!

zsm1928 Dec 19, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm doing my first MR next week to get me to SE. I found that traveling PHL-YYZ-LHR is 1/3rd the price as YYZ-LHR so I am taking a positioning flight booked on AE. BTW my trip is almost completely covered by vouchers I received for cancelled or bumped flights.

KenHamer Dec 20, 2012 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Tax Dude (Post 19888657)
Well, you're in luck. There will be a gathering of the crazies (also known as a "Do") in Singapore on the weekend of Jan 18th-20th. See this link for details.

I've managed about 40k in the first two months of the year a couple of times, it's not that hard!

Wuss!

I've managed 45K in the last 10 days of December.

Tax Dude Dec 20, 2012 7:55 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer (Post 19891481)
Wuss!

I've managed 45K in the last 10 days of December.

This thread got me looking. In 2006 I got to 68k by the end of Feb and I've had many two-month periods with 50k actual miles. So the OP isn't as crazy as he thought - or we are crazier.

PhotoJim Dec 20, 2012 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 19887701)
From YQR, you are going to need to take some re-positioning flights anyway (ORD, LAX, DEN, etc.) so use these to re-qualify/use up e-upgrades.

The DEN and ORD flights from YQR are on UA metal, so no eUpgrading.

Tedgrrrrrrrrrr (how many rs? :) ) has had luck flying AC metal YQR-YYZ-LAX at good fares though.

RCyyz Dec 20, 2012 8:02 am

OP - still think your idea is crazy? :p

AirbusFan Dec 20, 2012 8:30 am

Apparently I'm not as crazy as I'd feared. :)

I'll start hunting around and trying to figure out the fare codes for 100% status miles on UA. That's my biggest worry right now -- booking something and finding out I won't get credit for it!

flyquiet Dec 20, 2012 8:42 am

Please keep this thread going. Lurkers are benefiting. Yes, you are probably ALL crazy but thanks for not doing it by PM.

AirbusFan Dec 20, 2012 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 19887701)
IF you have never done a MR, I don't suggest starting with Asia!

Now this scared me a little :)

I was considering just going, checking into a hotel for a day, resting and then flying home.

Workable? Or does one run into issues with customs/borders etc typically when making mileage runs?

Or were you just referring to the length of the flights?

I've done MRs before, but never for this many miles at once. Just YQR-YYZ-MIA, or YQR-YYC-FRA-TLS on a whim to make up some extra points.

hydrogen Dec 20, 2012 8:47 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan (Post 19892828)
Apparently I'm not as crazy as I'd feared. :)

I'll start hunting around and trying to figure out the fare codes for 100% status miles on UA. That's my biggest worry right now -- booking something and finding out I won't get credit for it!

Just make sure that you meet the 5 AC segments/10k AC status miles requirement (since I am assuming that you are starting fresh for 2013)!

AirbusFan Dec 20, 2012 8:54 am

Right. I checked on that and should meet that requirement with no prob.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm learning a lot as I go here.