FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Mileage run guru wanted (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1417009-mileage-run-guru-wanted.html)

zsm1928 Dec 19, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm doing my first MR next week to get me to SE. I found that traveling PHL-YYZ-LHR is 1/3rd the price as YYZ-LHR so I am taking a positioning flight booked on AE. BTW my trip is almost completely covered by vouchers I received for cancelled or bumped flights.

KenHamer Dec 20, 2012 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Tax Dude (Post 19888657)
Well, you're in luck. There will be a gathering of the crazies (also known as a "Do") in Singapore on the weekend of Jan 18th-20th. See this link for details.

I've managed about 40k in the first two months of the year a couple of times, it's not that hard!

Wuss!

I've managed 45K in the last 10 days of December.

Tax Dude Dec 20, 2012 7:55 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer (Post 19891481)
Wuss!

I've managed 45K in the last 10 days of December.

This thread got me looking. In 2006 I got to 68k by the end of Feb and I've had many two-month periods with 50k actual miles. So the OP isn't as crazy as he thought - or we are crazier.

PhotoJim Dec 20, 2012 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 19887701)
From YQR, you are going to need to take some re-positioning flights anyway (ORD, LAX, DEN, etc.) so use these to re-qualify/use up e-upgrades.

The DEN and ORD flights from YQR are on UA metal, so no eUpgrading.

Tedgrrrrrrrrrr (how many rs? :) ) has had luck flying AC metal YQR-YYZ-LAX at good fares though.

RCyyz Dec 20, 2012 8:02 am

OP - still think your idea is crazy? :p

AirbusFan Dec 20, 2012 8:30 am

Apparently I'm not as crazy as I'd feared. :)

I'll start hunting around and trying to figure out the fare codes for 100% status miles on UA. That's my biggest worry right now -- booking something and finding out I won't get credit for it!

flyquiet Dec 20, 2012 8:42 am

Please keep this thread going. Lurkers are benefiting. Yes, you are probably ALL crazy but thanks for not doing it by PM.

AirbusFan Dec 20, 2012 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 19887701)
IF you have never done a MR, I don't suggest starting with Asia!

Now this scared me a little :)

I was considering just going, checking into a hotel for a day, resting and then flying home.

Workable? Or does one run into issues with customs/borders etc typically when making mileage runs?

Or were you just referring to the length of the flights?

I've done MRs before, but never for this many miles at once. Just YQR-YYZ-MIA, or YQR-YYC-FRA-TLS on a whim to make up some extra points.

hydrogen Dec 20, 2012 8:47 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan (Post 19892828)
Apparently I'm not as crazy as I'd feared. :)

I'll start hunting around and trying to figure out the fare codes for 100% status miles on UA. That's my biggest worry right now -- booking something and finding out I won't get credit for it!

Just make sure that you meet the 5 AC segments/10k AC status miles requirement (since I am assuming that you are starting fresh for 2013)!

AirbusFan Dec 20, 2012 8:54 am

Right. I checked on that and should meet that requirement with no prob.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm learning a lot as I go here.

RevvedUp Dec 20, 2012 9:06 am

Today I'm flying YYC-YYZ via NRT. So...not crazy at all.

mountaingrl Dec 20, 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by RevvedUp (Post 19893065)
Today I'm flying YYC-YYZ via NRT. So...not crazy at all.

:p Nice!

Tax Dude Dec 20, 2012 9:43 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan (Post 19892938)
Now this scared me a little :)

I was considering just going, checking into a hotel for a day, resting and then flying home.

Workable? Or does one run into issues with customs/borders etc typically when making mileage runs?

Or were you just referring to the length of the flights?

I've done MRs before, but never for this many miles at once. Just YQR-YYZ-MIA, or YQR-YYC-FRA-TLS on a whim to make up some extra points.

The first (ok, second) mileage run that I did was to SIN back in January of 2002. 20+ hours transit each way (only one leg in Business,) 30 hours in Singapore, lots of fun. Don't worry about it, Singapore is a very easy introduction to Asia.

I just checked, it's $1,355 to fly UA ORD-SIN on the 2013 SIN Do weekend. No idea if that's full miles, I don't know anything about UA fares/Aeroplan. If you check the thread I referenced above there's a link to a spreadsheet showing who is coming and what their flights are. If you pick the same flights you'll have instant travel companions who can get you into lounges and will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about mileage runs. Plus, you'll have something to do during your time on the ground.

I'll be there, but it's a reward booking so no miles for me!

acysb87 Dec 20, 2012 9:56 am

[QUOTE=RCyyz;19856565]By definition, people on FT are not normal relative to society at large. Your idea may be crazy by normal standards but may not be by FT ones.

QUOTE]

Have you ever been to CF or MP?;):eek::D

AC_flyer Dec 20, 2012 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Needle Hill (Post 19887430)
I am doing a MR
YYZ-LHR-SIN return on SQ $2368 for 20600 miles in Feb. due to time constraint.

If you have time, you can try
YQR-ORD-SIN-NRT-LAX-YQR on UA $1578 for 20682 miles

^

I am looking at doing a similar trip YYZ-LAX-SIN-AKL/CHC-SIN-LAX-YYZ in SQ.

The price is around $2500 for 32000 miles. Planning to do this in Jan 2013.