Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YEG-? Aeroplan Ticket Friday Night-Sun Night

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha

Hi All,

As mentioned in title, would like to purchase a aeroplan ticket, Friday afterwork to Sunday Evening, From YEg-Wherever.

Little getaway for my wife only.

Any ideas??
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
When?

I'd recommend Seattle or Vancouver depending on when you want to go since you barely have any time if you fly east coast or carribean..

Possibly PHX, Vegas or California depending on what you are into as well.. I've done weekend trips to everything I've listed above except PHX

EDIT: I read it again and is this for your wife only? Than I highly recommend Seattle or Vancouver, or phoenix if she is into spa
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by SKYEG
When?

I'd recommend Seattle or Vancouver depending on when you want to go since you barely have any time if you fly east coast or carribean..

Possibly PHX, Vegas or California depending on what you are into as well.. I've done weekend trips to everything I've listed above except PHX

EDIT: I read it again and is this for your wife only? Than I highly recommend Seattle or Vancouver, or phoenix if she is into spa
Yes wife only. Happy Wife well Happy Wife.

Sometime in January.

Hmmm Vegas...SFO might be good to. Seattle? Rainy no?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:18 pm

If your looking at vegas you might look at a rev ticket, its a pretty ''TANGO'' destination
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by morphius909
Yes wife only. Happy Wife well Happy Wife.

Sometime in January.

Hmmm Vegas...SFO might be good to. Seattle? Rainy no?

haha!

If it was wife only, and you are using miles, SFO seems to be good since it is always more expensive than LAX/SNA/SAN/PHX, which are pretty cheap if you buy rev. 25k AE in Y yields very low CPM but they are all excellent places to visit in January solo IMO.

SEA/PDX is a good deal on AE since biz is only 25k, and if you don't have status the checked bag is $50 r/t, which means you are spending only 10k ae miles for biz class extra and saving the $50 for baggage. Yes it will be rainy, but still lots to see/do IMO.

I'd say SEA/PDX/YVR if you are using AE for maximum cpm/value, and the other destinations if you want the sun. For such a short trip, I would go with the value and fly her biz . Spa available in all the cities.

MIA/NYC and all the further ones might be good options for good mile value but you will lose the whole day travelling on UA most likely, making it not worth it IMO as she won't have much time.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
haha!

If it was wife only, and you are using miles, SFO seems to be good since it is always more expensive than LAX/SNA/SAN/PHX, which are pretty cheap if you buy rev. 25k AE in Y yields very low CPM but they are all excellent places to visit in January solo IMO.

SEA/PDX is a good deal on AE since biz is only 25k, and if you don't have status the checked bag is $50 r/t, which means you are spending only 10k ae miles for biz class extra and saving the $50 for baggage. Yes it will be rainy, but still lots to see/do IMO.

I'd say SEA/PDX/YVR if you are using AE for maximum cpm/value, and the other destinations if you want the sun. For such a short trip, I would go with the value and fly her biz . Spa available in all the cities.

MIA/NYC and all the further ones might be good options for good mile value but you will lose the whole day travelling on UA most likely, making it not worth it IMO as she won't have much time.
SEA in J? J to YVR? or to DEN on ua?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
SEA in J? J to YVR? or to DEN on ua?
YEG-YVR in J, the short haul awards are only on AC, so you will have to chalk up the $80 extra to have the privilege of flying AC . YVR-SEA is one of the shortest flights I take and I highly recommend 1C on the Dash(unlimited legroom).

My recent YVR-SEA and back have been all around %50 or less

YEG-DEN-SEA in UA J will be 50k

I think the extra 10K for biz on AE for YEG-YVR to SEA or PDX is one of the best short haul value flights on Aeroplan, with maybe EX-Winnipeg based flyers beating it(Ontario is short haul from YWG). Especially if you have no status
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Any ideas??
IAH as she could leave late Fri. on the redeye and come back just past 4PM on the return on Sun., subject as always of course to availability.

Just a thought since IAH might be warmer than SEA.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't think you will have a happy wife in Houston! I'd pick San Francisco for shopping, food and the city is just awesome!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

We went a
Couple
Of
Years ago
To San Fran with kids though so solo would be great.
Stay where??? We stayed near the touristy pier. Something better and more alive and classy?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
We went a
Couple
Of
Years ago
To San Fran with kids though so solo would be great.
Stay where??? We stayed near the touristy pier. Something better and more alive and classy?
SFO always a nice place to visit for a few days.

With regards to location there are basically three options:

1. Fisherman´s Wharf where most tourist attractions/restaurants are located
2. anything near Union Square - great for shopping
3. Nob Hill: pretty nice, but much quieter neighborhood; a few nice hotels are up there
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I would suggest Union Square as its in the heart of everything. Have stayed at the Grand Hyatt and its a good choice but there are many options. Also, non-stop from YEG is nice even if on a UA CR7.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: Just a kettle now :)
Originally Posted by tcook052
IAH as she could leave late Fri. on the redeye and come back just past 4PM on the return on Sun., subject as always of course to availability.

Just a thought since IAH might be warmer than SEA.
As someone who works in Houston, I would discourage this. There's just not a whole lot to do, and, you need a vehicle to get around anywhere.

As one stand-up comedian said: "I love Houston! There's so much to do here: you can go to San Antonio, or Austin, or Galveston.."
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
UA fly's YEG to SFO but Jan its a bit cool. LAS is cheap, no car required and how much can a married woman away from husband and kids get into trouble?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Cyan
As someone who works in Houston, I would discourage this. There's just not a whole lot to do, and, you need a vehicle to get around anywhere.
Was just offering suggestion as OP requested and was thinking about the timing given the late Fri. night flight UA offers on this route. I've been to Houston and agree it's pretty spread out and what sights there are aren't as as easily explored as a city such as SFO.

The nonstop UA flight however YEG-SFO leaves at 1PM on Fri. afternoon hardly making it "after work" as OP mentioned so connections would be required to go any later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.