Wiki Posts
Search

Future of YYZ-CPH

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Future of YYZ-CPH

Will AC withdraw from the route if SAS goes under? Perhaps funnel all the Scandinavian connections through FRA or MUC? Will be sad if SAS goes under but to be honest they've been pretty lousy the last 10 years or so.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 2:38 pm

Isn't AC's YYZ flight the only non-SK trans-Atlantic service out of CPH? I thought DL pulled out, or maybe they are seasonal...

I wonder if the loss of the SK feed would be outweighed by the gain of the ex-CPH longhaul market ceded by a defunct SK?

I'll leave the musing to the armchair CEO/CFOs...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by YYZC2
Isn't AC's YYZ flight the only non-SK trans-Atlantic service out of CPH? I thought DL pulled out, or maybe they are seasonal...
Delta presently has a 767 JFK-CPH due to resume 2 June '13.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: Several
Funny this is just brought up as a topic. I was speaking with a dear friend of mine in southern Sweden last night and he invited me over for the weekend so I booked some Aeroplan flights for mid December. I'm flying into CPH as he lives a short drive over the bridge. Anyway - lots of availablility on Scandinavian but he said not to book on them as they are going under any day (in his opinion).
Slightly off topic - but interesting that I just booked these flights last night. I'm flying from western Canada to YYZ to Zurich on AC then to CPH on Swiss. To come home I'm flying from CPH to FRA on LH then connecting onto Air Canada to fly back to western Canada. I don't mind the stops so I have no problem that there may not be direct YYZ/CPH service.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

I wonder if the loss of the SK feed would be outweighed by the gain of the ex-CPH longhaul market ceded by a defunct SK?
I suppose that it could provide an opportunity for AC but aren't they like a lot of airlines short of long haul aircraft as of now. Still if SK goes belly up in the very near future just the loss of CPH as a hub is going to mean a lot of traffic being pushed through the already overcrowded FRA,LHR and CDG hubs of the 3 airline alliances. Perhaps AMS would be the biggest beneficiary of this unfortunate circumstance. I doubt LH is going to buy SK as they have their own troubles.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Oh, this is unfortunate.

CPH is my favorite hub in Europe. Way better than FRA, MUC, CDG, LHR.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Oh, this is unfortunate.

CPH is my favorite hub in Europe. Way better than FRA, MUC, CDG, LHR.
Along with MUC, my favourite two.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:47 pm

1) MUC
2) CPH
3) ZRH
4) FRA
5) BRU
6) LHR

(insert remainder of industrialized world here)

7) CDG

Last edited by YYZC2; Nov 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm Reason: Edit: included BRU, which needs more open immigration counters in the AM
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
1) MUC
2) CPH
3) ZRH
4) FRA
5) BRU
6) LHR

7) CDG
OMG....I laughed hard at this one. CDG is the worst 1st world airport on the planet...with many 3rd world ahead of it. I've always found it ironic that Paris has all these beautiful things to see but you have to transit their sh**hole first.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by WestonC
Funny this is just brought up as a topic. I was speaking with a dear friend of mine in southern Sweden last night and he invited me over for the weekend so I booked some Aeroplan flights for mid December. I'm flying into CPH as he lives a short drive over the bridge. Anyway - lots of availablility on Scandinavian but he said not to book on them as they are going under any day (in his opinion).
Slightly off topic - but interesting that I just booked these flights last night. I'm flying from western Canada to YYZ to Zurich on AC then to CPH on Swiss. To come home I'm flying from CPH to FRA on LH then connecting onto Air Canada to fly back to western Canada. I don't mind the stops so I have no problem that there may not be direct YYZ/CPH service.

So you paid a lot more in scam charges in case SK goes under? WOW

If they did, and your flights got canceled you would have been re protected on AC flights for free....
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:09 pm

You would think someone will fill the void in SK country. The need for TATL to CPH won't go away just because SK does or will it? Also agree that CPH is a pretty good airport...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

1) MUC
2) CPH
3) ZRH
4) FRA
5) BRU
6) LHR

7) CDG
delete industrialized
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sp4294
You would think someone will fill the void in SK country. The need for TATL to CPH won't go away just because SK does or will it? Also agree that CPH is a pretty good airport...
I'm surprised that SK only serves EWR,SFO,IAD and ORD TATL these days. A mere shadow of the legacy airline they used to be.

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Nov 18, 2012 at 6:18 pm
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by WestonC
wow.... an aeroplan agent's opinion just cost hundreds of dollars... simply WOW.

Aeroplan would have had to reprotect you on AC flight if SK went under - FOR FREE.

As for SAS - I am sure the presence of Norwegian - a far superior airline with much lower costs probably didnt help.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
1) MUC
2) CPH
3) ZRH
4) FRA
5) BRU
6) LHR

7) CDG
lol I would actually put WAW at #1 in Europe for ease of transfer - I know AC doesnt fly there - but LO does from YYZ - and its a 787 in a couple months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.