Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Some updates about changes on aircanada.com this week

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some updates about changes on aircanada.com this week

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by AC888
While I sympathize with you 100%, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that we're all preaching to the choir here. As I postulated here, I think AC is well aware that this change will result in fewer top tier members, due to both the reduction in status miles awarded AND current members taking their business elsewhere. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this is the outcome AC desires. After some cost-benefit analysis, they've concluded that providing top tier benefits to status members costs more than the incremental business their loyalty brings in. Of course, the second part of that equation is very difficult to quantify accurately, so it may very well turn out that AC is making a big mistake. But for now at least, I think management is quite aware (and happy) that many of us are leaving or thinking about leaving. They just can't come out and say that because it would sound terrible from a PR perspective.
This is an interesting thesis, and got me to do some bean counting. As of today, I have 75 flight segments, and 114,000 status miles. I also have 24 segments on DL. Last year I did 102 segments and 129K miles ,and maybe 4 or 6 on DL. I have flown DL primarily because of the UDU, as DL is our corporate flyer and they comp'd me G as an exec. This year I will easily get my own S status, and will likely be comp'd to P, so I'm more likely to fly even more on DL. So this year I will spend well over $100K on AC and probably around $30K on DL. I can also directly impact my company's travel policy, but let's forget about that for a moment. So I figure $30K is the revenue lost to AC as I get more disgruntled, and less loyal. So all this means that whether AC cares about my business or not I suppose depends on margin and load factors. I know for a fact that none of the AC flights that I used DL for instead were full, as I always looked at both. So if they are not full, a margin calculation is kind of irrelevant. They lost $30K in income as contribution to overhead. It would be interesting to know how many TT members they have, as it would take say 1000 of us to move to make any significant impact (say >$10M), which even then isn't even 10% of last Q's EBITDA. AC's quarterly revenue is around $3B, and last Q they had an EBITDA of $316M. In addition they need to run lounges etc to keep us happy, which is a hit on gross margin. The marginal cost of the lounge per FF would be interesting to know, as they already have the infrastructure and are paying the rent. UDU doesn't really cost DL very much, as they have those empty seats anyway, and the cost of a drink or two and a bad meal isn't much (and they charge for lounge privilege's). Despite all the negativity on this board, AC did see a quarterly increase in traffic of 3.3%, so I guess the bottom lime is that we're important, but not that important to them. That would explain a lot of this nonsense.

Last edited by LockheedElectra; Oct 20, 2012 at 1:31 pm
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
btw, here is a link for Q2 2012 for those interested http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=573
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AC888
While I sympathize with you 100%, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that we're all preaching to the choir here. As I postulated here, I think AC is well aware that this change will result in fewer top tier members, due to both the reduction in status miles awarded AND current members taking their business elsewhere. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this is the outcome AC desires. After some cost-benefit analysis, they've concluded that providing top tier benefits to status members costs more than the incremental business their loyalty brings in. Of course, the second part of that equation is very difficult to quantify accurately, so it may very well turn out that AC is making a big mistake. But for now at least, I think management is quite aware (and happy) that many of us are leaving or thinking about leaving. They just can't come out and say that because it would sound terrible from a PR perspective.
Sadly, I agree with you ... but given that Air Canada Top Tier created this thread, and will presumably be reading these responses, I wanted to do the best I could to make sure there was absolutely no ambiguity about the impact of the changes.

The crazy thing is that they seem to be intent on driving away the customers who value them most. Many of the people I work with travel on random airlines - they just pick on a flight by flight basis - and none of them will be bothered in the least by this change. I'm the one that goes out of my way to try and fly with AC, and I would still rather stay with AC ... but as you observe, the intent seems to be to drive me away. Does AC really want me to reduce my flights with them?

It leaves me sad, and shaking my head in wonder.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
In addition they need to run lounges etc to keep us happy, which is a hit on gross margin. The marginal cost of the lounge per FF would be interesting to know, as they already have the infrastructure and are paying the rent. UDU doesn't really cost DL very much, as they have those empty seats anyway, and the cost of a drink or two and a bad meal isn't much
Interesting numbers & perspective ... but don't forget that unless they plan on removing the lounges (etc) for J, then all the infrastructure will have to remain in place.

I could only imagine two ways that this change will make money for AC, and neither holds water for me.

(1) If enough customers make a choice to purchase Tango+ fares while there are also Tango fares still available, then that would drive incremental revenue. I can tell you that I don't have this choice, maybe enough others do ... but enough people would need to be able & willing to do this, to offset the loss of some number of their top tier customers.

(2) If the reduction of Top Tier members allowed them to sell additional high priced tickets (presumably J), rather than have to "give" them away as upgrades - but this doesn't really make sense to me either, as the R games already ensure that revenue PAX get priority.

So, I agree with your premise, but I can't figure out how AC hopes the math will work out.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by canopus27
Sadly, I agree with you ... but given that Air Canada Top Tier created this thread, and will presumably be reading these responses, I wanted to do the best I could to make sure there was absolutely no ambiguity about the impact of the changes.

The crazy thing is that they seem to be intent on driving away the customers who value them most. Many of the people I work with travel on random airlines - they just pick on a flight by flight basis - and none of them will be bothered in the least by this change. I'm the one that goes out of my way to try and fly with AC, and I would still rather stay with AC ... but as you observe, the intent seems to be to drive me away. Does AC really want me to reduce my flights with them?

It leaves me sad, and shaking my head in wonder.
I share your sentiments. I have been loyal to AC almost since AE was introduced. Granted, I do fly UA, AA etc from time to time, but I always tried to fly AC if they flew to my destination.

I don't consider myself a SE bottom feeder, having routinely paid Z, Latitude and T+ flight passes.

Perhaps the intention of AC is to go completely low cost. No frills. It's their company and they have every right to do so. I just wish they'd come out and say it instead of making slow incremental changes.

Instead of the slow strangle method, ACTT, why not just haul out the guillotine and get it over with?

back to more research on the UA + AA forums.....
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by nowinyow
back to more research on the UA + AA forums.....
If AA or DL were to offer a time limited status match without challenge (similar to what AC did for BMI customers), I bet they could swoop in right now and AC wouldn't know what hit 'em.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Air Canada Top Tier
[INDENT][LIST][*]Maintaining your upgrade and mileage accumulation eligibility for reservations prior to October 16. With this change, in order to maintain your eUpgrade eligibility, the international reservations (including any connecting segments) of Air Canada Elite and Super Elite members booked in classes T, L and K prior to October 16 were rebooked into a Tango Plus class. Note that this rebooking should be completed by the end of the weekend. Additionally, all Air Canada Top Tier and Aeroplan members will earn 100% Status Miles for these international reservations made prior to October 16.
@ACTT, can you confrim whether or not codeshare flights being flown on AC metal but booked with a Star Alliance partner will also be re-booked and whether that will also be done this weekend?

I have received conflicting information from AC's Super Elite phone and e-mail.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:52 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by lcohen999
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I've been on FT from the very beginning, and in that decade and a half I've never seen this forum so uniformly aligned. Ever.
I would disagree with that. When eUpgrades first came out and long hauls were 20 credits, rather than the 17 now the feeling is about the same.
If you go back you'll find that many for many people (I.e. those that only travelled domestic or transborder) the eUpgrade schedule was an improvement.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond

If you go back you'll find that many for many people (I.e. those that only travelled domestic or transborder) the eUpgrade schedule was an improvement.
Indeed it has been for me ... however this new change on Tango is not.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE
I'm a first time poster but have followed this forum for about a year and have enjoyed learning from the knowledgeable people on this board through my lurking.
I am one of the *SE's that will be affected by the T fares internationally. Lowest price flight wins in my company but I am allowed to choose the carrier/routing of flights, as the company does recognize the importance of the rewards/benefits that we receive by attaining *G status, be it reward flights through AE or the upgrades received, which I find secondary to the reward flights using miles. The difference between T and T+ internationally will not allow me travel T+ anymore. Within Canada there is a close enough price point that I can choose T+. I believe AC is trying to do away with my class of FF which only purchases T+ fares not Lat or J. Using only T fares to reach any level of status to upgrade regularly/even only the long trips, will be nearly impossible. I actually enjoy flying AC but cannot fly 100k miles and not be 'rewarded' for doing it. Regretfully, I will be one of people looking for alternatives to traveling internationally with AC.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:59 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ACB777
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
All week we have heard from a lot of disappointed or simply pissed off people in which some have posted new bookings on other carriers. Of all of the customers out there, how much revenue did AC loose (if any) in the big picture? The group here although informed and important, only represents a fraction of AC customers.

Have travel agents, Amex travel, booking companies taken notice and alternatives were found or does this really affect the very pro active group here?
FTers matter because we are "super users". Within a corporation or organization or social circle, we tend to be known as the ones who know how the most about commercial aviation and how to get the most benefits from loyalty programs etc. And colleagues/friends can rely on FTers to do a lot of that research for them, and take our advice in making travel decisions. This is why AC TT takes the time to address FT directly. We all spend a decent amount on AC, but our collective sphere of influence amounts to real dollars.
Those "Super Users" also exist outside of FT, and will have the same effects, though perhaps delayed (until they discover the changes themselves.)
Old Oct 20, 2012, 3:16 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
In addition they need to run lounges etc to keep us happy, which is a hit on gross margin. The marginal cost of the lounge per FF would be interesting to know, as they already have the infrastructure and are paying the rent. UDU doesn't really cost DL very much, as they have those empty seats anyway, and the cost of a drink or two and a bad meal isn't much
Interesting numbers & perspective ... but don't forget that unless they plan on removing the lounges (etc) for J, then all the infrastructure will have to remain in place.

I could only imagine two ways that this change will make money for AC, and neither holds water for me.

(1) If enough customers make a choice to purchase Tango+ fares while there are also Tango fares still available, then that would drive incremental revenue. I can tell you that I don't have this choice, maybe enough others do ... but enough people would need to be able & willing to do this, to offset the loss of some number of their top tier customers.

(2) If the reduction of Top Tier members allowed them to sell additional high priced tickets (presumably J), rather than have to "give" them away as upgrades - but this doesn't really make sense to me either, as the R games already ensure that revenue PAX get priority.

So, I agree with your premise, but I can't figure out how AC hopes the math will work out.
Easy. There IT department is doing the math.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 3:16 pm

The crazy thing is that they seem to be intent on driving away the customers who value them most.
Unfortunately, this may be a one-way love affair. These customers may not be the most desirable for AC from a profitability perspective. There are flaws in the present programme (which has been discussed here numerous times, e.g., attaining SE for ≤$6,000 with min. 10K Status Miles on AC). I can understand why AC wants to plug the hole but it really did a botch job.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 3:25 pm
Original Member

I was one of those primarily Latitude (or at least M) purchasers, and AC previously drove me away by choking R space, even when J was wide open.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS

I was one of those primarily Latitude (or at least M) purchasers, and AC previously drove me away by choking R space, even when J was wide open.
I hear you. As an E, I had very little luck getting upgrades, even when there were a lot of open seats in the forward cabin. I ended up not using most of my upgrade credits, because I almost never made the cut. As an SE, it's definitely better, but AC still is playing games. For example, I'm flying on AC854 this evening. When I booked the ticket earlier this week, within the 7 day window, there were lots of open J class seats, but I didn't get the upgrade until a couple of days ago. Even now, a few hours before the flight, there are open J class seats, but they are holding the upgrades back until the last minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.