Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada airliner crew, passengers help locate yacht stranded off Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/air-cana...ralia-1.997459

Passengers and crew aboard an Air Canada flight are being credited for their assistance in locating a yacht and its crew in distress off the coast of Australia.

Air Canada flight 033 from Vancouver and another Air New Zealand jet, flying from Auckland, were headed to Sydney when they were both asked to divert course.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority was investigating the signal from an emergency beacon activated at 8:15 a.m. local time Tuesday morning, and wanted help confirming the GPS location.

Flight crew and passengers aboard the Air Canada flight, peering out the windows from an altitude of approximately 6,000 feet, helped locate the yacht 275 nautical miles east of Sydney.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052

Passengers and crew aboard an Air Canada flight are being credited for their assistance in locating a yacht and its crew in distress off the coast of Australia.

Air Canada flight 033 from Vancouver and another Air New Zealand jet, flying from Auckland, were headed to Sydney when they were both asked to divert course.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority was investigating the signal from an emergency beacon activated at 8:15 a.m. local time Tuesday morning, and wanted help confirming the GPS location.

Flight crew and passengers aboard the Air Canada flight, peering out the windows from an altitude of approximately 6,000 feet, helped locate the yacht 275 nautical miles east of Sydney.
I love this story. Nice.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: AC*E50
On My Way

Air Canada's next revenue opportunity:

On My Way: Nautical Edition

On My Way: Nautical Edition

The new name for peace of mind...

Unpredictable weather conditions, seaport and shipping traffic delays... at some point we've all experienced the frustration of a demasting or travel disruption that is out of our hands.

At Air Canada, we understand how frustrating such situations can be and we respond like any responsible airline would: by working hard to find you at sea so you can get rescued as quickly as possible.

But Air Canada goes one step further by offering On My Way: Nautical Edition, a unique service in the South Pacific, that goes beyond what airlines normally do, so you'll always be prepared, no matter what setback you encounter.

On My Way: Nautical Edition pricing:

The On My Way: Nautical Edition service can be purchased for Australasian sea travel for much less than you'd expect to pay for this type of peace of mind:

Small vessels (up to 10,000 GRT)
$2,500 CAD/AUD per one-way trip

large vessels (10,001 GRT or more)
$35,000 CAD/AUD per one-way trip

Other important details:

The On My Way: Nautical Edition service is available only through the On My Way: Nautical Edition cabin. No other Air Canada employees are equipped to provide specialized On My Way: Nautical Edition service. If a customer fails to call the On My Way: Nautical Edition cabin and chooses to call Air Canada Reservations or requests service from the Australian, New Zealand or Indonesian coast guards, the customer will receive the same standard service as that provided to all sailors who have not purchased the On My Way: Nautical Edition service.
If you have purchased On My Way: Nautical Edition for an eligible vessel and you are rebooked on another vessel, the service is automatically transferred to the new booking.
The On My Way: Nautical Edition service is non refundable. If you choose to change a booking for which you have purchased the On My Way: Nautical Edition service, you may transfer the On My Way: Nautical Edition option to your new booking, provided all cruise eligibility requirements are met, and does not include sailing on a Panamanian or Mauritian-registered carrier.
On My Way: Nautical Edition is not a replacement for LORAN-C or the services your ship's chandler may provide.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:17 am

WOW !

Simply Amazing, thumbs up AC ^
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Not amazing.

Wait till AC sends them the bill.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
[Insert obligatory compensation-demanding thread from inconvenienced FlyerTalker here.]
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by gglave
[Insert obligatory compensation-demanding thread from inconvenienced FlyerTalker here.]
The media comment threads are alive with comments such as "AC can find a lost sailor but not my baggage", but the best one, IMHO, was "WS would have found it before it was reported lost".

In any event, a good news story for AC.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:04 am

Flying 3,000 feet above the pacific ocean would of been interesting for those passengers! Also, imagine being on that boat seeing two widebody airplanes soaring 3,000 feet above your boat. I'm sure that's not what they were expecting when contacting the coast guard! Would of been an interesting sight.

To the OP, your article says the flight went to 6,000 feet however the cbc article says 3,000 feet. not sure which one is correct.

Last edited by pilotboy1985YYC; Oct 16, 2012 at 10:09 am
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:27 am

great story....interesting indeed!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
To the OP, your article says the flight went to 6,000 feet however the cbc article says 3,000 feet. not sure which one is correct.
Could be the CBC as G&M says here the flight dropped from 7500M to 1800M and the latter is approx. 6000 ft and that is supported by details in the Aviation Herald incident report, which is here.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by tcook052

Outstanding effort and great story!

^
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Great story indeed and what a great once in a lifetime expereince for many of the passengers on board who can feel good about participating in a worth while cause.

How many times we have said 'who controls the window shade" on this flight it was everybody and what a view it would have been.

Great story ^^
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:32 pm

What a great story and cool experience for those on board.

Man, the 77L is impressive ........ Travel 13000km and still enough reserve to do some low-level flying before landing.

The positive PR AC will get in Oz will far outstrip the additional fuel burned. (Maybe a few free billboards around SYD announcing their daily YVR service increasing to 10/weekly)
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/10...n_1971352.html
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
A once-in-a-lifetime event! ^

I certainly hope the Banker Calin will not punish the crew for "wasting" fuel and resources.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.