Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eUprade Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
eUprade Help

Hi all,

Flying YEG-YVR-SAN with my wife and 2 kids.

I want to upgrade my wife and son while my daughter and I sit in bulkhead in Y (We already have row 12 on all 4 flights).

1) Can I request just my wife and son to be upgraded?
2) Can I request the upgrades to only go through if both segments clear? I don't think they would care (nor would my eupgrade account) if they only upgraded YEg-YVR, bit of a waste of eupgrades.

As of now, the YEG-YVR is upgradeable but the YVR-SAN portion is waitlisted.

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:13 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
I believe you have to split the PNRs (that is, if you're all under one right now).

1) Yes
2) I don't think that's possible unless R space opens up before you leave YEG.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:21 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
What I've done with my family in the past is have the person with highest status upgrade themselves and one more person, and then just switch BPs between everone between the gate and the plane. even on YEG-YOW-YUL same plane service, we used to switch the 2 sitting in J in YOW! Nobody ever cared.

The waitlist is another story...I never upgrade a full trip if i can't confirm the longest segment. I'd feel really stupid if i spent 6 credits on YUL-YOW in a CRA and got a free drin, and then spent 4 hours from YOW to YEG in Y

To be honest, they're short enough flights that it doesn't make a huge difference. If you have credits to spare, by all means go for it! If not, its not the end of the world.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: AC Peon / Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by YQMer
I believe you have to split the PNRs (that is, if you're all under one right now).

1) Yes
2) I don't think that's possible unless R space opens up before you leave YEG.
Would his chances be higher if
a) He (status) + family member (assume no status) request the upgrade then make the switcheroo of the bp (2 pax per PNR); or
b) Make his wife + son as his nominees and make the request (2 pax per PNR); or
c) Have 4 separate PNRs, make request for him + 1 nominated family member (though, if R is only 1, only he will get the upgrade)?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:27 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by darwiniandemon
Would his chances be higher if
a) He (status) + family member (assume no status) request the upgrade then make the switcheroo of the bp (2 pax per PNR); or
b) Make his wife + son as his nominees and make the request (2 pax per PNR); or
c) Have 4 separate PNRs, make request for him + 1 nominated family member (though, if R is only 1, only he will get the upgrade)?
a) sure, this works--have done it before a few times

b)/c) a little more complicated...

It all depends. If it were me, I would try leave the status pax +1 on one PNR so that you don't need to use nominee spots if R=2 prior to flight. Having said that, if R=1 prior to flight, I would split off another family member, hoping the status member will get an u/g at the gate, giving us 2 u/g spots (then see response in a);

I would only do the nominee thing if there was a "for sure" R space open and you could get the u/g right away, and this may happen anytime prior to flight.

Regarding situations where there are more than one pax/PNR at the gate... We have been told before I believe that if you're two people on one PNR and only one has status, the GA will ask if you want just the one u/g, but I can envision a situation where a GA may just skip to the next singular pax with status if there is only 1 seat left... I would gauge accordingly, and may go to the Agent and make it clear that 1 u/g would be acceptable.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
You guys are awesome.

Ended up not requesting, wife was like "Meh" even though my 6yo son was like "WHAT? I'm not sitting in the"nicer" area.? "
Oh boy 6yo feels entitled already.

Okay I need to remember this...SPLIT the PNRs next time for our trips.

Right now my Son and Wife are nominees and my daughter will always be, well this year at least, my one companion upgrade traveller.

Good to know about the confirmed vs waitlist segments too. I think AC should fix this, do you want the whole thing upgrade/waitlisted or just the one segment. Though this would probably create a bit of a logistical nightmare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.