Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Boarding Announcements?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:17 pm

The new policy sound good to me and +1 on enforcing carry on size.

I hope this takes effect at HKG, I took a flight a few years ago (pre status) and was sitting near the back of the plane. They made the call for pre-boarding and all of sudden almost everyone is in line, at some point they started boarding by row and called the back of the plane. However, 90% of the aircraft was lined up.

I asked the gate agent if they were turning back people sitting farther up the cabin, she said no and directed me to the back of the line. I had a quick laugh, sat down and waited for the line to pass.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by alc
This was mentioned in the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...uncements.html
... and that's what we call a circular reference.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by purelywasted
The new policy sound good to me and +1 on enforcing carry on size.

I hope this takes effect at HKG, I took a flight a few years ago (pre status) and was sitting near the back of the plane. They made the call for pre-boarding and all of sudden almost everyone is in line, at some point they started boarding by row and called the back of the plane. However, 90% of the aircraft was lined up.

I asked the gate agent if they were turning back people sitting farther up the cabin, she said no and directed me to the back of the line. I had a quick laugh, sat down and waited for the line to pass.
A few months ago, I was waiting to board AC008, and there was a fleet of 15+ wheelchairs in line for pre-boarding. Apparently, certain groups of customers have become quite liberal at requesting wheelchair service when necessity is questionable...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:46 am

Programs: AC, FPC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Starbucks Gold, VPL
Reply to why families w/ kids req. pre-boarding

Originally Posted by AC888
I'm genuinely curious, so hope people don't interpret this question as rude or offensive.

Why do families with small children, elderly individuals, or others who need extra time need to board early? Especially for the first group, wouldn't it make sense to have them board last? Isn't it in everyone's best interest to minimize the time small children are kept in a confined space?

Not rude or offensive at all.

Answer: Because parents have a ton of cr*p to schlep, including their kid(s).

Smooth traveling with our child requires that two adults schlep five items and one kid safely onto the plane, not including any checked luggage:

1) Diaper bag with supplies
2) Spouse's carryon
3) My purse
4) Child's carseat (for his seat), and
5) His stroller, which we gate-check.

Before we can take our seats, we have to:

1) Extract our child from his stroller
2) Collapse it on the jetway
3) Carry him, our carryons and his carseat to our seats
4) Stow our carryons
5) Install his carseat
6) Settle him in his carseat

and all of this is more easily accomplished if the plane is nearly empty. This is also the reason we will deplane last.

We have had tight connections before, and it is much more difficult to carry our child and our stuff down the aisle and complete our pre-flight tasks when the plane is full. You risk, for instance, accidentally hitting someone with the carseat as you move down the aisle. Or banging the back of a fellow traveller's chair repeatedly as you struggle to install and secure a carseat.

It would really help if GAs would give pre-boarders a minute or two head start before sending General Boarding nipping at our heels down the gangplank, rather than just having us lead off the GB queue. #1 & #2 take a moment on the jetway, and we are regularly cut off by GBers anxious to read their enRoute.

To those who feel impatient: I know our trio is unwieldy. The two of us who can actually carry things are doing our best to manage three people and their belongings safely. Please help us help you by letting us get out of your way. Thanks.

TOA13B
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by TheOfficeAdmin13B
I am reminded of my cool little nephew through this post. He's so small but the associated stuff is all so large. It really is amazing to behold the stuff to kid ratio and realize how out of whack it really is! But, that's life in the Western world these days. And in the grand scheme of things, kids are worth it.

Unless they cry through the whole flight in which case we need a different solution.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS

Smooth traveling with our child requires that two adults schlep five items and one kid safely onto the plane, not including any checked luggage...
You've brought back vivid memories for me of several trips to MCO with my two where I've ended up in a sweat trying to out run the folks "nipping at the heels" in order to get the seats installed on a CRJ.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
"This is also the reason we will deplane last."

Good for you, but you are an exception. For many with kids, it is board first, but never deplane last. Never understood that.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Right, all of us who have kids went through this in the first couple of years of their lives. And now an AC GA will approach people with a stroller, tag it and then quietly ask you to come forward and board early when the plane is ready, at the same time as they quietly get people with wheelchairs, etc. That way people who actually need more time to board can do it without holding up other people.

Instead of putting out on the PA:

"This is a pre-boarding call only. We would ask parents with small children, the elderly and anyone else who needs a bit of extra time to board to come forward now. We will commence with general boarding shortly."

Which is code to infrequent fliers that means the following:

"OMG, I have to get on the plane. My 14 year old daughter is pretty small, so we should board now."

Or:

"OMG, they are going to leave without me. Even though I am travelling alone and I am capable of running a triathlon I better bum rush the gate now so I don't miss general boarding."

Air Canada needs to stuff 250 people in to an aluminum tube in 30 mins (being optimistic) - the old system wasn't working, the new one is much better. People who really need extra time will be boarded by AC first, then people with status have a chance to get on board if they so choose, then they fill the plane from the back to the front.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Lifetime Bonvoy PP, Hilton D, National EE, Avis First
Just heard the new boarding announcements at YYC. It takes about 15 mins just to say 'Priority Boarding'... lol

"...inviting our Air Canada Altitude Elite 35K, our Air Canada Altitude Elite 50K, our Air Canada Altitude Elite 75K, our Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K, and our Executive Class passengers to board now or at your leisure..."

*Not quoted word for word, but they sure go through each level's full and complete description. They might as well add in the different colours

PS. also seeing a lot of the Elite blue cards out there

Last edited by NAJetSet; Mar 3, 2013 at 10:39 pm
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: AC SE, Aeroflot Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by NAJetSet
Just heard the new boarding announcements at YYC. It takes about 15 mins just to say 'Priority Boarding'... lol

"...inviting our Air Canada Altitude Elite 35K, our Air Canada Altitude Elite 50K, our Air Canada Altitude Elite 75K, our Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K, and our Executive Class passengers to board now or at your leisure..."

*Not quoted word for word, but they sure go through each level's full and complete description. They might as well add in the different colours

PS. also seeing a lot of the Elite blue cards out there
That's more or less word for word, but you forgot Star Gold! There are so few passengers who are not Priority, they should just call General boading first, to get them safely out of the way of the Priority swell!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.