Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Beware: Current 15% discount code for Asia only books into Tango

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

Latest AC e-newsletter has a 15% discount code for flights to Asia. However,
tried a few combinations and destinations and it appears the only fare that is discounted is the Tango fare (50% SMs, no upgrading), and it still comes out at about $1200 a/i for flights to PEK or PVG.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
This has been the case for almost ALL discount codes since the introduction of Tango fares to Asia. (Been discussed before but I don't feel like looking.) Seems AC is wooing the bottom feeders who don't care about miles, and trying to send FF to other airlines. It's working! ^
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan E
This to me completely baffles me. It seems that AC prefers the bottom feeders to the FF. Looks like I will maintain the AC Elite for another year by flying more with other Star Carriers...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:10 am

i gave up my E...... sits in my wallet to be swiped at Esso only......

Wait next year, I will go BR discounted Premium Y........with 0 miles or the A345 EWR-SIN again (if they reintroduce Y+ or Y that is)..... only thing i will miss is the transit-shower and nap
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:18 am

As well as all of the Porter... ummm 50% ''sales'' discount codes that run exclusivly on porter routes.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
iWait next year, I will go BR discounted Premium Y........with 0 miles .....
BR's discount Royal Laurel Class fare to Asia is significantly cheaper than AC's discount Executive First. It's too bad that BR is not yet a full *A member but one can accrue points with NH and UA FF programmes when flying BR.

BTW anyone know if UA's TPAC Z fare can still be booked in A for the North American segment, including code share operated by AC?

Last edited by Clipper801; Jun 6, 2012 at 1:53 pm
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
trying to send FF to other airlines. It's working! ^
This is absolutely working. My trips to SIN/HKG are on UA, crediting Aeroplan. Unfortunately, now I've got lots of eUps that I can't use. I wish there was a way to convert eUps to Aeroplan points.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver
This is a problem with many carriers flying to the East. A lot of their fares are only 50% (or less) status miles. About the only one that isn't is UA, and I just wonder how much longer that will last with them.
I am looking for a MR before the end of the year, and the best guarantee for full miles is on UA..... I flew them to SIN last year in Y. Looks like this year its UA again.... I am not going all the way to HKG on AC on inflated T fares and only getting 50% status miles.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by john_doe123123
This is absolutely working. My trips to SIN/HKG are on UA, crediting Aeroplan. Unfortunately, now I've got lots of eUps that I can't use. I wish there was a way to convert eUps to Aeroplan points.
Better yet, I wish there eUP can be convert into something more useful (e.g. $$)

Originally Posted by DavidYYC
I am looking for a MR before the end of the year, and the best guarantee for full miles is on UA..... I flew them to SIN last year in Y. Looks like this year its UA again.... I am not going all the way to HKG on AC on inflated T fares and only getting 50% status miles.
This is an insult from AC/AP. Give us a bunch of eUP and you can't use them unless you pay for higher (DOUBLE) fare to Asia.

I am still on the edge of flying UA in Y, it is good for MR. But what's the point to keep collecting miles if you can't upgrade?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:02 pm

This is a problem with many carriers flying to the East. A lot of their fares are only 50% (or less) status miles. About the only one that isn't is UA, and I just wonder how much longer that will last with them.
lol, and why would they stop? They are getting all of the FF buisness.... why should they care?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
lol, and why would they stop? They are getting all of the FF buisness.... why should they care?
Its just a worry of mine. Because when UA stop giving full status miles then effectively if we want that, we will end up paying more.
Its addictive and habit forming amongst the carriers and seems to be "contagious" between them. Like the YQ on redemptions....
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:29 pm

For companies who do not have a policy of allowing J bookings, how would you handle it if your company travel assistant booked you a R/T YYZ-HKG-YYZ in Tango?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:59 pm

Its just a worry of mine. Because when UA stop giving full status miles then effectively if we want that, we will end up paying more.
Its addictive and habit forming amongst the carriers and seems to be "contagious" between them. Like the YQ on redemptions....
UA still doesnt do that either...

Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
For companies who do not have a policy of allowing J bookings, how would you handle it if your company travel assistant booked you a R/T YYZ-HKG-YYZ in Tango?
Cry?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:36 pm

Profit is addictive for most companies
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Profit is addictive for most companies
Right.
I get that. But most of us don't like paying an extra $708, which is the current difference between a T and a T+ fare on a YYC-HKG return fare on AC?
After all AC must make a profit.(which they infrequently do)

There is a balance, between charging more and frightening customers away, and currently AC is doing just that to many of the their FF who want T+ fares for full status miles and the chance to play aerolotto. AC is stretching their pricing "elasticity" to the limit.
It would be interesting to see the real numbers on the yields in Y( T vs T+) on those TPAC flights.
This is exactly why I worry that the days of the lowest economy fare giving full 100% status miles are truly numbered and soon we won't see this on ANY carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.