Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC194 YVR-YUL: What are the washroom rules?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: E50K

On AC 194 yesterday, I did not get an upgrade, but I had my original seat -- 12D, the first row behind business. I was able to see through the gap in the curtains everything that went on there.

Now, I've always considered the washroom at the front to be reserved for business class ticket holders, but all through the flight, people from the back went up to use it. Whatever. An hour out of Montreal, I felt the need to use a washroom, and for 15 minutes looked to the back of the plane. The red lights were always on, there was always a lineup.

So right after another woman from the cheap side of the curtain used the front washroom, I went up there. I was turned back, and told to use the one at the back. OK, I said.

Fifteen minutes later, I got back up to my seat at the front. And during the rest of the flight, I watched as people from the back went up to use the washroom at the front. The dude looking after that area turned none of them away. Only me. I have no idea why I was the only one deemed unworthy, and really, it was annoying. My pee, and my pee alone, is not good enough for the business class potty.

So what are the rules regarding this? Should I have pressed the issue? I planned to mention it to the dude as I was getting off the plane, but because of gate issues we were terribly late getting in, and I had a connection.

I know, I know, in the great scale of issues, this is a minor one. But I am curious to know what the rules are, and whether I should have stood my ground.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:25 am

Washroom in your ticketed cabin should be strictly enforced, unless otherwise instructed/exempted by the crew due to circumstances.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
We're living in a SOCIETY here people!! There are rules!

Seriously though, I wish the cabin rules were better enforced. J washroom reserved for J pax use.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by j_the_p
J washroom reserved for J pax use.
+1

That's the way it should be. But if it's not being enforced, then it shouldn't be selectively enforced for only certain pax.

But broadly speaking it should be consistently enforced.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by RCyyz
+1

That's the way it should be. But if it's not being enforced, then it shouldn't be selectively enforced for only certain pax.

But broadly speaking it should be consistently enforced.
Yes!
Even when I'm in Y, I don't want to go to the J lav and see all the people enjoying their nice seats and meals...
Old May 31, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Electrifying the curtain would solve the problem.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
My biggest AC complaint (yes biggest) is lack of enforcement for J bathrooms being for only J pax. I once flew J Yyz to lhr and saw a ton of Y pax (including small children with parents) using the washrooms. At one point a lineup of 3 J pax were waiting for the bathroom. One Y pax came out finally and lets just say the bathrooms toilet was no longer useable for the duration of the flight.

A simple annoucement after takeoff will solve a lot of this problem. "There are 4 bahrooms a the back if the plane for economy passengers and 3 at the front for Busness passengers". Many airlines do this and have far less issues with the lavatories.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Washroom in your ticketed cabin should be strictly enforced, unless otherwise instructed/exempted by the crew due to circumstances.
I almost got turned back using the lav at the back once by a snarky flight attendant - but I can't fit comfortably in the one at the front on many of the planes (E90, CRA, A319) etc... J should be allowed to use Y no questions asked...
Old May 31, 2012, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: E50K
All of the answers confirm what I thought. So the only real question, which could only be answered by the service dude on that flight, was why he rejected only one passenger. With some of the other Y pasengers, he even opened the washroom door for them, for pete's sake.

I am OK with rules as long as we are all treated equally. Preferential treatment is unacceptable.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by seegs

A simple annoucement after takeoff will solve a lot of this problem. "There are 4 bahrooms a the back if the plane for economy passengers and 3 at the front for Busness passengers". Many airlines do this and have far less issues with the lavatories.
I've heard Qantas crew make an additional announcement to the likes of "Whoever crosses this curtain when they should not be will be asked to leave the aircraft immediately" !
Old May 31, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Was on a YYZ-BDA back in April, and I noticed a young white lady from Y freely visiting the J loo with no obstruction from the incharge who clearly saw her proceeding through the curtain.
10 mins later, a young black man tried the same and was turned back to the back of the plane.
Later in the flight the same white lady tried and was turned to the back.

Hate to play the race card, but that seemed a bit out of order.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Does this mean that upgraded pax on T+ and Lat tickets must use the Y washrooms??
Old May 31, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Air Koryo
Does this mean that upgraded pax on T+ and Lat tickets must use the Y washrooms??
T fare are asked to "Hold it till you land" ;-)
Old May 31, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by seegs
They do make that announcement (or at least they are supposed to).

One exception to the rule is on a narrow-body with meal carts blocking access to the back. Not really fair to the folks up front in Y to have no access to washrooms for half an hour.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Originally Posted by omkhar
T fare are asked to "Hold it till you land" ;-)
You're missing the revenue opportunity for BOB empty bottles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.