Wiki Posts
Search

Rant alert - priority boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Rant alert - priority boarding

I'm not normally a ranter here, but I have to vent.

I'm stuck in traffic getting to airport, but, thanks to Nexus and a quick jog to the gate, am there 20 minutes before departure.

So, what's the deal with the YOW GA who decides today to let me stand there in the second lane (which is empty at this point) while he boards about 8 - 10 people while completely ignoring me, and then after a painful delay, decides to ask me "if I have a question". I say, in my most restrained frustration: "are you doing priority boarding?" He quips back: "I've already done priority boarding." That's it. Nothing more. Um... whiskey hotel foxtrot? We're about 20 or so people left to board an E75, so I've got a vested interest--I'm convinced I'm going to be the sucker who gets to gate check my bags. So after an awkward moment or two he looks at me, sighs, and reaches out for my bp, making me feel like he's doing me this big favour.

Seriously. Not impressed.

Last edited by YQMer; May 30, 2012 at 8:59 pm Reason: didn't realize w.t..foxtrot now just posted as ...
Old May 30, 2012, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YQMer
I'm not normally a ranter here, but I have to vent.

I'm stuck in traffic getting to airport, but, thanks to Nexus and a quick jog to the gate, am there 20 minutes before departure.

So, what's the deal with the YOW GA who decides today to let me stand there in the second lane (which is empty at this point) while he boards about 8 - 10 people while completely ignoring me, and then after a painful delay, decides to ask me "if I have a question". I say, in my most restrained frustration: "are you doing priority boarding?" He quips back: "I've already done priority boarding." That's it. Nothing more. Um... ...? We're about 20 or so people left to board an E75, so I've got a vested interest--I'm convinced I'm going to be the sucker who gets to gate check my bags. So after an awkward moment or two he looks at me, sighs, and reaches out for my bp, making me feel like he's doing me this big favour.

Seriously. Not impressed.
That's YOW. I bet he's the same guy that used to be part of that nasty and crusty tandem gate duo who never announce status boarding.

There are several GAs out there who think that once they call economy boarding that the Priority Boarding Lane is considered invisible and completed... which defeats the purposes of the priority boarding lane. What if a J/status pax gets to a long line of Y pax when the priority lane is empty? It's not like all J/status pax have to be there at the exact moment that the GA calls priority boarding!

Any GA lurker here care to explain this rationale? Absolutely moronic.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Also want to say that many of the YOW GA crew are crusty as he!l.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
That's YOW.
Yep

Appart from the concierges and the 1 or 2 GA/CS staff I can think off the rest of the staff at YOW are horrible.

Unfriendly and unprofessional both come to mind. I have been lied too before; they will say anything to get ride of you. Everything to ''I cannot check to see how many pax are on the wait list'' to ''Sorry sir there is no earlier flight (even tho it is posted on the bloody board right behind their heads!!''. Typical central canadian culture; no one wants to lift a finger to help anyone else.

Sorry to say YQMer; you wont find much of that atlantic charm up this way!
Old May 30, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: AC*50K
Maybe you have already done this, YQMer, but IMHO this is exactly the kind of situation that should be the subject of feedback (e-mail, with specifics) to AC. I think your rant/vent is justified.

I'm actually not the complaining type, but I think if this had happened to me I might send the feedback. I work in a different industry/sector, but we do deal with the mass market and I can tell you that customer feedback actually does make a difference. Sometimes management just doesn't know what silly games the kids (i.e. gate agents) are playing. I think you would be doing AC and the rest of us a favour if you submitted the feedback.
Old May 31, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
I've had the same issue and hope AC fixes it. It also seems that the priority boarding lane would be far more effective if they switched the side both lanes are on (I can't think of why at this point, but I come to the same conclusion each flight.

UA is the exact opposite of AC. UA gate attendants have actually broken up families, to quickly put their hand up in an extremely snobby manner to stop the general boarding lane, so that I could board immediately through priority. Made me feel like an a-hole. So maybe AC should let family's board together if a passenger strolls up midway through the family, and then turn to the priority lane immediately thereafter.
Old May 31, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: 100K
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I've had the same issue and hope AC fixes it. It also seems that the priority boarding lane would be far more effective if they switched the side both lanes are on (I can't think of why at this point, but I come to the same conclusion each flight.

UA is the exact opposite of AC. UA gate attendants have actually broken up families, to quickly put their hand up in an extremely snobby manner to stop the general boarding lane, so that I could board immediately through priority. Made me feel like an a-hole. So maybe AC should let family's board together if a passenger strolls up midway through the family, and then turn to the priority lane immediately thereafter.
UA has a very good system... they board in 5 sections.. with 1-3 being the status customers and only board that priority lane while the other lanes are roped off.
In most cases AC agents don't seem to care... I've seen them deny boarding to non status pax during priority boarding only on a few occasions.. most of the time they just let it slide.
Old May 31, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: AC*50K
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I've had the same issue and hope AC fixes it...
At the risk of belabouring the point I made above, AC won't fix something that AC thinks ain't broke. I'm guessing (but I don't know) that AC doesn't have any reasonable way of assessing whether its GAs are doing the right thing when it comes to priority boarding, etc., other than feedback from us. So I think this is one of those cases where when the OP, or Tedgrrrr, or I, or anyone else, has this experience and cares about it, then a feedback note should be sent.

"Hope" won't do it. A polite e-mail will, at worst, do nothing; at best, it might result in a communication to the specific GA and/or changes to the training and communication to GAs generally.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by TimMinYYZ
"Hope" won't do it. A polite e-mail will, at worst, do nothing; at best, it might result in a communication to the specific GA and/or changes to the training and communication to GAs generally.
Will do, though are you sure this matter isn't ripe for a Dateline expose?
Old May 31, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by TimMinYYZ
At the risk of belabouring the point I made above, AC won't fix something that AC thinks ain't broke. I'm guessing (but I don't know) that AC doesn't have any reasonable way of assessing whether its GAs are doing the right thing when it comes to priority boarding, etc., other than feedback from us. So I think this is one of those cases where when the OP, or Tedgrrrr, or I, or anyone else, has this experience and cares about it, then a feedback note should be sent.

I think this is the crux of the issue.

How much Corporate AC knows of the day to day issues is probably 1/10 of the truth!
Old May 31, 2012, 8:16 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
On the plus side, at least AC has some sort of policy and procedures.

Thai and Air China pretty much have a stampede towards the gangway where you fed for yourself (despite the presence of business class signs).

All smiles though!
Old May 31, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
You have to force the issue and get up there and say, Is this the priority line?

Yesterday May 30th AC838 gate 14 YOW-FRA the four gate agents set up the priority carpet and cattle gates and after the "need assisatnce" crowd they called priority and then enorced the seat and row number boarding. I had a friend who was on the flight and I saw her off at the gate and saw this and was impressed. I then went to gate 17 to catch my YYZ flight and well we boarded and I stayed right up front and no problem. You just have to make it happen.
Old May 31, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hearna
Typical central canadian culture; no one wants to lift a finger to help anyone else.
This was a ridiculous, unfair, and frustrating generalization. How one extrapolates the poor customer service from one company at one airport to apply to an entire region of the country is both laughable be offensive.

OP - sorry to hear of the rotten experience! I'm yow also and have had some brutal (lack of) priority boarding experiences here too!
Old May 31, 2012, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by morphius909
I think this is the crux of the issue.

How much Corporate AC knows of the day to day issues is probably 1/10 of the truth!
Do Callin and his cronies fly private usually? If they spend as much time at the airport as I imagine I do, they should have a pretty good idea of what's going on, unless they are too busy playing with their cell-phones or something?
Old May 31, 2012, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by politico_pk
This was a ridiculous, unfair, and frustrating generalization. How one extrapolates the poor customer service from one company at one airport to apply to an entire region of the country is both laughable be offensive.

OP - sorry to hear of the rotten experience! I'm yow also and have had some brutal (lack of) priority boarding experiences here too!
Sorry to have offended you, but it is a reality. If you do not believe me fly out east or west. CS or GA are very approchable and friendly, in Ontario or Quebec; very snarley.

Also the ''heards'' or ''stampeeds'' as they are called are rare on east or west flights that do not involve YUL/YOW/YYZ so figure out why....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.