Missing windows?

Old May 25, 12, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; BonFire Titanic Elite
Missing windows?

I'll admit this is a bit of a geeky question, but I've always wondered why some aircraft have no windows in certain rows?

Row 1, 6 and 11 on the 777s for example have no window.
Row 6 on some 763's

Is it a structural issue or is there some logic as to why?

And is there a difference between no window and a window "plug" that seems to have been put there after the aircraft was built?
Old May 25, 12, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
Usually it is where the air conditioning ducts are placed
Old May 25, 12, 8:18 pm

When there is no evidence of window at all, it would be for ducts or other infrastructure as already pointed out.

You occasionally see an older plane with a widow hole that appears closed over on the outside - I have always assumed that is because of something like a galley directly on the inside. I suspect that with the way they need to be able reconfigure the interiors these days, removing windows like that isnt done much any more or than for private jets.

I did once have the "pleasure" of getting a window seat without a window and hated it. I love looking out and taking pictures!
Old May 25, 12, 8:47 pm

Programs: *G
There is no window in row 19 of the 77W, but there is in the 77L. I also remember before 767 XM days that row 13 had no window - not sure which row that is now.

But I love the 777 lavatory windows in the middle of the J cabins. With the propensity for shades down no matter what, it's a refuge for seeing the marvels of the world below.
Old May 25, 12, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fin 645 View Post

But I love the 777 lavatory windows in the middle of the J cabins. With the propensity for shades down no matter what, it's a refuge for seeing the marvels of the world below.
Nothing compares to the joy I feel when I take a P and look down 35,000 feet...
Old May 26, 12, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC 50K 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mustang Sally View Post
I'll admit this is a bit of a geeky question, but I've always wondered why some aircraft have no windows in certain rows?

Row 1, 6 and 11 on the 777s for example have no window.
Row 6 on some 763's

Is it a structural issue or is there some logic as to why?

And is there a difference between no window and a window "plug" that seems to have been put there after the aircraft was built?
Actually row 6 on the 77W/77L does have a window, but only one whereas the other rows in the front section have two. The seat 10A in the A330 however does not have any windows.
Old May 26, 12, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by fin 645 View Post

Yes its a great window looking at the massive engine. looks great during the daylight and you can stand there and simply stare out the window for a long time and enjoy that quiet and Tranquil moment.
Old May 26, 12, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by ACflyerDE View Post
Actually row 6 on the 77W/77L does have a window, but only one whereas the other rows in the front section have two. The seat 10A in the A330 however does not have any windows.
A window is "missing" between seat 5A/K and 6A/K. The last overhead bin above 6A/K has some equipment in it that cannot be used and the small one between 6A/5A is usually used to store extra toilet papers and Kleenex. However, the FA will usually remove them if you request.
Old May 26, 12, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Z-man View Post
Nothing compares to the joy I feel when I take a P and look down 35,000 feet...
I don't know why but I STILL have to close the window!

Old May 26, 12, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA MP
[DELETED]

Last edited by g46r; May 27, 12 at 5:06 pm

Search this Thread