Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New AC fares - No Saturday night stay requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2001, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles

New Air Canada Fares Offer Best Value Between Calgary-Vancouver- Edmonton; Eliminate Saturday Night Stay Requirement

PART OF AIR CANADA ACTION PLAN

CALGARY, Aug. 22 /CNW/ - Air Canada will introduce tomorrow a compelling choice of flexible, competitive low fares for travel between Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton. The new fare structure, in combination with the most daily non-stop flights, the youngest fleet and the broadest range of customer benefits available in Canada, offers the best value for travel within the Western triangle.
In addition, qualifying Aeroplan members flying on these routes will automatically earn reward travel to select destinations including Honolulu, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Toronto and Bermuda.

Competitive new fares on the Western triangle form part of the Air Canada Action Plan to transform and re-engineer Canada's national carrier to meet the new challenges and opportunities of the rapidly changing air travel market.

Click here for more details
Old Aug 22, 2001, 8:32 pm

Wait! Don't go! Come back! It's a trap! A trap I tell you. Come back!

To get the best value for these tickets, you have to book online at www.aircanada.ca. You know what that means, don't you? That's right! Big shoes and big gloves. Oh wait. I mean, you can't actually get the best deal.

More seriously though, and in the spirit of demonstrating that you can actually get blood from a stone, it means that with careful planning you could acheive all this for only CAD$9148.50 (or about $8 US):

- Super Elite status
- 37,500 basic miles
- 15 tickets to places like Phoenix, San Francisco, Los Angeles or Toronto
or
- 7 tickets to places like Honolulu, Barbados, Bermuda, Jamaica or Florida, including Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Fort Myers, Miami, Tampa or West Palm Beach and 1 of the above tickets
- A stack of lounge passes
- A bigger stack of upgrades
- A Mexican Hat Dance Club certificate with the words Mexican Hat Dance crossed out and Canada Baht Run written in
- Hemorrhoids

Let the games begin!

[This message has been edited by Ken hAAmer (edited 08-24-2001).]
Old Aug 22, 2001, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Ick, ick, ick! I think I'd rather burn in hell than spend all that money to fly all those miles on AC!!!
Old Aug 22, 2001, 9:06 pm

Here goes!
Ken's calculations are intriguing, indeed.
Earlier this evening, I booked a family vacation to Vancouver . . . er, Seattle. The plane flies to YVR, and we connect there to get to seattle, but the fares are $200 each less than if we just got off at YVR, plus double aeroplan points. Go figure. (More than covers the rental car from SEA).
The potential of combining this trip with a side trip (or, er, several side trips in a day) between YVR, Calgary and Edmonton is amazing -- but I'll pass as I want to stay married.
Old Aug 22, 2001, 9:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I think I'd rather burn in hell than spend all that money to fly all those miles on AC!!! </font>
That's the beauty of it! You don't "fly all those miles." You fly... segments!
Old Aug 22, 2001, 9:42 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

AC is giving away the bank just to compete with WestJet. It's very obvious that they are doing this while they are rushing to get the LCC started up by the end of the year. I think they are spending way too much time and money on this Western triangle thing.
Old Aug 22, 2001, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by marbuck:
Earlier this evening, I booked a family vacation to Vancouver . . . er, Seattle. The plane flies to YVR, and we connect there to get to seattle, but the fares are $200 each less than if we just got off at YVR, plus double aeroplan points. Go figure. (More than covers the rental car from SEA).
</font>
Word of caution here. Is one of the drivers a U.S. citizen or resident? You cannot rent U.S.-registered car and drive it into Canada. Seattle car rental rates are also very high! (28%+ tax)

Old Aug 22, 2001, 10:17 pm
Original Member

There is no question... I am going to be doing something to take advantage of this. Anyone feel like spending a day in Sept flying with me? Seriously!
Old Aug 22, 2001, 10:36 pm

Is it really worth it to fly just to get the free reward trips?

Assuming you are doing the cheapest YYC-YEG for $57 one way. With all the taxes added on, it'll be $130 per roundtrip. 5 of them will cost you $650. For that price, you can buy a ticket to PHX/LAX/SFO/YYZ instead and get Q miles.
Old Aug 22, 2001, 11:11 pm

Here are the fares:

YVR/YYC:

7 days advance purchase: $166 L class
5 days advance purchase: $212 Q class
3 days advance purchase: $260 V class
1 day advance purchase: $368 H class
no advance purchase: $426 B class

YVR/YEG:

7 days advance purchase: $188 L class
5 days advance purchase: $236 Q class
3 days advance purchase: $284 V class
1 day advance purchase: $396 H class
no advance purchase: $476 B class

YEG/YYC:

7 days advance purchase: $114 L class
5 days advance purchase: $154 Q class
3 days advance purchase: $194 V class
1 day advance purchase: $242 H class
no advance purchase: $286 T class

Old Aug 23, 2001, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Very reminiscent of how CP responded when AC stepped up its activity on the same western triangle routes a decade ago. Double and even escalating triple mile bonuses, new fare structure, free bonus Aeroplan trips to exotic destinations...

Old Aug 23, 2001, 6:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Bring them on -- I'm ready. This new fare structure works in AC's favor. I might actually fly them on short haul now. I have taken to driving YYC-YEG since the time saving was not worth the $485 econo fare (sometimes it was faster to drive). WestJet was not an option since their scheds did not work with mine plus they were often full.
Old Aug 23, 2001, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Tech guys strike again!! There is a message that pops up that due to techical problems these fares cannot be booked on-line until tomorrow!!
Old Aug 23, 2001, 11:19 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
Is it really worth it to fly just to get the free reward trips?

Assuming you are doing the cheapest YYC-YEG for $57 one way. With all the taxes added on, it'll be $130 per roundtrip. 5 of them will cost you $650. For that price, you can buy a ticket to PHX/LAX/SFO/YYZ instead and get Q miles.
</font>
As far as I understand this offer you will also get Aeroplan miles on your "free" tickets. Also to bad you have to book these tickets online otherwise you could do something very intresting with a * RTW.

[This message has been edited by kempis (edited 08-23-2001).]
Old Aug 23, 2001, 11:47 am

Did I not suggest in previous posts that the Saturday night stayover restriction would start disappearing? I think the disease is spreading.

Obviously, these fares are in response to WestJet. What happens when AC Lite takes to the skies? What will happen to airfares in Eastern Canada?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.