Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Advice required on cabin sized Rimowa baggage purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 100K MM, HH Gold

Greetings

Hoping to get some advice on purchasing the Rimowa Stainless steel 22" cabin bag found here: http://www.rimowa.de/main#/product/932.56 with dimensions of 22.4 x 17.5 x 9.8"'s

I know this is slightly larger than allowed - but is it reasonably doable? I dont want to have to fuss finding overhead space but the extra volume over the IATA certified model at 21.7 x 15.7 x 7.9"'s is significant.

I also received AC's message today of: One standard article with wheels and handles may not exceed 9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in.

So the width is more of an issue than the length. And does a 1" difference really make the difference? (pls limit comments to the topic of this post!)

The other reason im hedging is because once bought (next week in Vienna at considerably lower prices than here in Canada), its mine to keep....

All advice welcome. Finally, I also exclusively travel J so overhead cabin room is less difficult to acquire.

Thx
YOWer
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:25 pm

I use a 22". Won't be a problem through security and will fit most overhead bins. Though some you may need to fit horizontally or wheel in.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA MP
I avoid anything larger than 20". If you take a 22" roller, you are more likely to become the target of random and arbitrary carry-on size enforcement at the gate.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
This is too big. Get the IATA size, 21.7". I have 3 of those...
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
If you want every square inch of space inside, get a IATA two wheeler, but if you're willing to give up a few inches for the convenience a IATA 4 wheeler works well as well. Got both.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
I have a 22 tumi. Fits wheels in on airbus and horizontal on E's. It is big. I probably have the biggest bag on most flights and I usually hold my breath closing the bin door. no problems.

Still love it
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
You say you're going to VIE? I'd be careful with the OS/LH crew there...

I have a 22" tumi that has been stopped before, but fits in the sizer. Weight is another story. That being said, it's annoying because it's just over 15" wide, and will not go in the middle bin on the 767, and BARELY in the side bins. I have a 21" that is 14" wide and fits perfectly in the middle or side bins. Makes life easier.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
I have a TUMI External Dimensions in Inches: 21.75" x 13.5" x 9.75" and fits just fine.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Keep in mind with many brands, their posted dimensions are exclusive of handles and wheels. I have the B&R 21.5" carry-on. Website specs are:

U421X (Baseline)
Dimensions: 8" x 14" x 21.5" / 20.3 x 35.6 x 54.6 cm
It's actually 22.75" or so with handles and wheels. I've actually managed to fit this into an AC sizer, but you have to coax it in. I've also confirmed that this fits into every aircraft with standard luggage bins, wheels first so I'm not 'that guy' who has to put it in horizontally. But technically, it's above spec.

Best to measure what you're looking to buy from top to bottom on-site, to make sure your money is spent wisely.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 100K MM, HH Gold
Thanks all. Very useful comments. I go to VIE about 4x a year and their pricing is much better than here but I will show up with my measuring tape to be sure. Welcome any other thoughts and comments. Really great to be able to tap into an informed crowd on FT.

YOWer
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
I can't get the link you posted to work, but I would recommend the Rimowa Salsa Air Ultralight Cabin Mulitwheel - it meets the max requirements, so would eliminate any doubt there and is light as a feather so it would help make sure you stay under weight wise as well. I bought one in Germany last month and it's great so far.

Here's a link: https://www.worldshop.eu/lws/product...58/detail.jsf?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by YOWer
Thanks all. Very useful comments. I go to VIE about 4x a year and their pricing is much better than here but I will show up with my measuring tape to be sure. Welcome any other thoughts and comments. Really great to be able to tap into an informed crowd on FT.

YOWer
There is a whole 'nother informed crowd should you want to seek their input as the FT Travel Products forum is a forum where there are some packing and luggage guru's. You could post a link to this thread to solicit their input on the topic. Just a thought.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:46 pm

I ended up getting a new bag because my wide Tumi 15.75 would not fit in some small planes overheads even sideways

New B&R U420ZX
Dimensions of Case:8" x 14" x 20" / 20.3 x 35.6 x 50.8 cm
Dimensions with Wheels & Handle: 9" x 14" x 21.25" / 22.9 x 35.6 x 54.0 cm

Fits almost every overhead now, unless I expand to 12"
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by YukonYXY
I can't get the link you posted to work, but I would recommend the Rimowa Salsa Air Ultralight Cabin Mulitwheel - it meets the max requirements, so would eliminate any doubt there and is light as a feather so it would help make sure you stay under weight wise as well. I bought one in Germany last month and it's great so far.

Here's a link: https://www.worldshop.eu/lws/product...58/detail.jsf?
The link the OP posted is good. But you have to select the country/language first for it to work.

My wife has a Salsa Air. Yes it is very light in weight. But one thing I hate about the Salsa Air is that it has a zipper. In order to get anything from it, you have to unzip it all the way to open it. Pain in the ... if you ask me. I much prefer the ones with the latches although they're a bit heavier.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:56 am

Mrs GHT bought the Rimowa LH Alu at MUC airport..... almost like the Topaz but a fraction of the price

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.