Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Does Datavalet remember your computer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive

I just logged on in the LAX MLL and I was automatically connected to the internet no entering SE number or anything.
Is it remembering me or are they starting to change the whole logon thing?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mendy7511
I just logged on in the LAX MLL and I was automatically connected to the internet no entering SE number or anything.
Is it remembering me or are they starting to change the whole logon thing?
Real question would be: what would they remember, how would they identify specifically your computer?

I suspect there is a bug in their system which results in them recognizing you as the previous user of the same IP. Not uncommon in public access systems. Hotels, lounges and the like.

You connect and somehow you are on without having to get into a browser and log on. However, then you quite, and next time you do need to logon.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
I think it's more that your computer remembers the network, not the other way around. For whatever reason the login remained active when you returned...possibly because your cache, etc. wasn't cleaned out since the last time you where there. However, like Stranger said, I would think that when you reload a new browser, you'd have to log in again.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by cavitron
I think it's more that your computer remembers the network, not the other way around. For whatever reason the login remained active when you returned...possibly because your cache, etc. wasn't cleaned out since the last time you where there. However, like Stranger said, I would think that when you reload a new browser, you'd have to log in again.
I actually haven't connected my laptop in a MLL since February 12th and have restarted many times since.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
delete

Last edited by omkhar; Mar 2, 2012 at 11:59 am Reason: misread the issue
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by mendy7511
I actually haven't connected my laptop in a MLL since February 12th and have restarted many times since.
Must say that it is strange.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
*If* they did it the smart way, it is tracking at MAC address level. So in theory once you have registered, and they recorded your MAC address (not IP.. Or the Apple Mac some of you thinking about) When you reconnect, first they can look up in the database and see if the device is registered.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
*If* they did it the smart way, it is tracking at MAC address level. So in theory once you have registered, and they recorded your MAC address (not IP.. Or the Apple Mac some of you thinking about) When you reconnect, first they can look up in the database and see if the device is registered.
Except that would assume the E/SE member is the only person ever using that computer/phone/ipad. Although, theoretically, one cannot easily access the datavalet except from within the MLL (and hence it doesn't matter), I'm sure the IT types would want to know who is agreeing to their terms of use.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by cavitron
Except that would assume the E/SE member is the only person ever using that computer/phone/ipad. Although, theoretically, one cannot easily access the datavalet except from within the MLL (and hence it doesn't matter), I'm sure the IT types would want to know who is agreeing to their terms of use.
True.. This is bound by the machine... and they could 'expire' the MAC address after 24 hrs or so...

Even if it uses cookie or other method, there is no way to guarantee is the same person who clicked the agree button is the same person who is using it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.