Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Last Day With Status - ???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Soon as I hit Diamond Medallion I'll gift you Gold Medallion status.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:36 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by avmca2050
Remember folks, at the end of the day, this is a status you can buy, not some special honour you earn. And I dont consider sitting on the plane for 100,000 miles + a year an achievement, IMHO. Most of the benefits can be had with CIBC or AMEX cards anyway. With the price of admission to the E/SE club increasing substantially for next year, namely the price differential between T and T+ fare, it is really hard to justify buying the more expensive fare for no increase in benefits over previous years.

For me it's not about "status" (I actually hate that word) or acheivement, but rather the benefits that accrue to each level, particularly the top level. And short of paying usurios J fares, many of those benefits cannot in fact be bought.

The ability to upgrade ahead of everyone else, to leap frog the wait list, the concierge service, the increased number of upgrades, and so, are what make obtaining status worthwhile. (Or at least used to.)

I travelled YVR-SYD and back about 5 times a year for about 8 years, and I'm still travelling that route. (I'm in SYD now in fact.) And I've been able to upgrade every single flight.

So if you compare the cost difference of 40 J tickets to travelling in economy for 625000+ miles or 1250 hours the "value" of status quickly becomes apparent.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by avmca2050
Remember folks, at the end of the day, this is a status you can buy, not some special honour you earn. And I dont consider sitting on the plane for 100,000 miles + a year an achievement, IMHO. Most of the benefits can be had with CIBC or AMEX cards anyway. With the price of admission to the E/SE club increasing substantially for next year, namely the price differential between T and T+ fare, it is really hard to justify buying the more expensive fare for no increase in benefits over previous years.
I am glad there are people who think this way. I, for one, agree with Ken on this one. It's not for the perks you mentioned in the post. It's for the ability to sit in the front by buying Lower fares. Yes, occasionally we have to buy B or M fares to save upgrade credits, but in the end, we get the seats in the front. Couldn't care less about the crowded MLLs et al.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Even the low levels of AC status are helpful. I'm a new AC*P this year after never having had status before. We flew as a family of 7 to Orlando last week and the Star Silver benefits saved us $300 in baggage fees, and we all got to board before the riff-raff (a valuable thing on American flights when people carry-on everything they own plus their neighbour's sofa). I also got an upgrade to J on a recent YYZ-YQR flight.

Still, it didn't stop me from using WestJet for an upcoming LAS-YQR run (I'm doing the reverse on UA because the non-stop doesn't fly that day, but the non-stop was cheaper than connecting flights for the return and it saves so much hassle).

I'll take a couple of convoluted routes this year to ensure I get my segments to keep AC*P next year, and I like the benefits, but I'm always going to be sensible about my choices, and in a few years when my business travel declines, I'll probably be super-practical about what carrier I use for any given trip.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jarusoba
I am glad there are people who think this way. I, for one, agree with Ken on this one. It's not for the perks you mentioned in the post. It's for the ability to sit in the front by buying Lower fares. Yes, occasionally we have to buy B or M fares to save upgrade credits, but in the end, we get the seats in the front. Couldn't care less about the crowded MLLs et al.
Same here. Only time I ever missed an upgrade was due to a cancellation on a later AC flight and them stuffing every J into the earlier one I was booked on. Luckily my son was with me on J award and I had his seat.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
Even the low levels of AC status are helpful. I'm a new AC*P this year after never having had status before. We flew as a family of 7 to Orlando last week and the Star Silver benefits saved us $300 in baggage fees, and we all got to board before the riff-raff (a valuable thing on American flights when people carry-on everything they own plus their neighbour's sofa). I also got an upgrade to J on a recent YYZ-YQR flight.

Still, it didn't stop me from using WestJet for an upcoming LAS-YQR run (I'm doing the reverse on UA because the non-stop doesn't fly that day, but the non-stop was cheaper than connecting flights for the return and it saves so much hassle).

I'll take a couple of convoluted routes this year to ensure I get my segments to keep AC*P next year, and I like the benefits, but I'm always going to be sensible about my choices, and in a few years when my business travel declines, I'll probably be super-practical about what carrier I use for any given trip.
I don't think priority boarding is a benefit or Prestige or *S, unless this was on UA?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:33 pm

we all got to board before the riff-raff
I thought AC P are the riff-raff.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
I'm hanging by a thread as this will be my last year. First flight of the year next week.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
I understand what you guys are saying - the first year I had to do a MR to make Elite, but I knew that I was trading $400 for 2 SSWUs that I was hoping to use the next year on TPAC flight. The difference is that this year it would have cost either more money or more time and I didn't want to spend either just to get another card in my wallet. Wasn't useful for me, but if my travel patterns for 2012 were different I could consider it.

At least we aren't like the idiots on the Mileage Run Discussion. 28 pages (and counting!) of people replying to a post asking "to be in on" possible UA/CO mistake fares!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer
For me it's not about "status" (I actually hate that word) or acheivement, but rather the benefits that accrue to each level, particularly the top level. And short of paying usurios J fares, many of those benefits cannot in fact be bought.

The ability to upgrade ahead of everyone else, to leap frog the wait list, the concierge service, the increased number of upgrades, and so, are what make obtaining status worthwhile. (Or at least used to.)
I couldn't agree with you more, even though the most I have ever been is E. And it has been those benefits that for the last half dozen years kept virtually all of my flying on AC. Will be the same this year, but next year I probably wont have sufficient benefits to keep me from going back to splitting my flying between multiple airlines. Watch for me then in this "Last Day With Status" thread!
Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by AC888
I don't think priority boarding is a benefit or Prestige or *S, unless this was on UA?
Yes, UA. The day Air Canada flies from YQR directly to a US city is the day chickens learn to speak Esperanto.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by arf04
I thought AC P are the riff-raff.
Shockingly, there are people who only fly once or twice or six times a year, unlike ourselves! Hard to believe, isn't it?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Shockingly, there are people who only fly once or twice or six times a year, unlike ourselves! Hard to believe, isn't it?
Just as shocking that there are people dont fly for work and have status!!!!
Old Mar 3, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Just as shocking that there are people dont fly for work and have status!!!!
Or that there are people who fly around, collect status/miles, without ever visiting the places they are going to! Actually one of the most famous FT posters just travels around without leaving aircraft/airport.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Or that there are people who fly around, collect status/miles, without ever visiting the places they are going to! Actually one of the most famous FT posters just travels around without leaving aircraft/airport.
yeah, I never got that. I mean, ok, lets say one needs a year end MR to Japan, fine... but to do it ALL the time.....whats the point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.