Wiki Posts
Search

when to upgrade AC 033

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
when to upgrade AC 033

I am flying from YVR to SYD on a Sunday night on AC 033. When do I request the upgrade? Are people getting on this flight in YYZ able to upgrade earlier (giving them an unfair advantage?)?

I realize that upgrading on this flight can be very tough, but I do want to try.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg
I am flying from YVR to SYD on a Sunday night on AC 033. When do I request the upgrade?
http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...des/howto.html
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Request an upgrade at the 4 day mark, check in at t-24hr and hope for the best.

Yes, YYZ'ers get an advantage..
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I am flying from YVR to SYD on a Sunday night on AC 033. When do I request the upgrade? Are people getting on this flight in YYZ able to upgrade earlier (giving them an unfair advantage?)?
If you're starting from YYZ, you still can't request the upgrade for the YVR SYD until that segment is T-4 or T-7 days, depending on your upgrade priority.

Update - this apparently does not apply if the 2 flights have the same flight number. See further down thread

Last edited by yvr76; Feb 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

As it is the same flight number do people from YYZ really have to wait until the YVR departure time?

Originally Posted by yvr76
If you're starting from YYZ, you still can't request the upgrade for the YVR SYD until that segment is T-4 or T-7 days, depending on your upgrade priority.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
As it is the same flight number do people from YYZ really have to wait until the YVR departure time?
Didn't know that could make a difference. I've only done this with 2 different flight numbers and I always have to wait until the second one opens.

Although chances are at T-4 that AC033 would be R0 anyway and it would clear at the gate? So at that point it would go by status, fare class, and finally OLCI.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: *G
This same dilemma applies to AC 7, 63 and 33. I book separate YYZ-YVR flights to get the full miles, but it is my impression that YYZ pax can upgrade the full distance at T-4 or T-7 (YYZ time) while YVR departing pax have to wait about 7 more hours.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate the good advice. I guess I will be up late twice to try and make this work!

Can anyone tell me what the service schedule is during AC033? Meals, etc?

Although chances are at T-4 that AC033 would be R0 anyway and it would clear at the gate? So at that point it would go by status, fare class, and finally OLCI.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Appreciate the good advice. I guess I will be up late twice to try and make this work!

Can anyone tell me what the service schedule is during AC033? Meals, etc?
Last year when I last took this flight they fed you at takeoff (at 11 something at night?) and then again for breakfast a couple hours out of Sydney.

I was in J, but I seem to recall Y was also served. This upgrade is hard to get; travel midweek for the best chance as Elite. Last year when I took this flight it went R0 about 8 days out (prior to the SE window) and my upgrade cleared 24 hours before (was requested exactly 4 days before). That was in cert days though.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Incorrect...
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by lcohen999:17961141
Incorrect...
I believe if it where 2 seperate flight numbers than you can not request the second until the 24 hour mark T-4 or 7.
As this is one flight that happens to stop in Vancouver I believe you can request the upgrade for the entire flight at T- 4 or 7 from YYZ.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mendy7511
I believe if it where 2 seperate flight numbers than you can not request the second until the 24 hour mark T-4 or 7.
As this is one flight that happens to stop in Vancouver I believe you can request the upgrade for the entire flight at T- 4 or 7 from YYZ.
Even if I boarding the flight in YVR?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Even if I boarding the flight in YVR?
If you are just boarding YVR, you cannot request until T-4/7 YVR.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

That seems unfair!

Originally Posted by mendy7511
If you are just boarding YVR, you cannot request until T-4/7 YVR.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
That seems unfair!
Nobody ever said life was fair. Life sucks, wear a helmut!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.