Search

ZRH-HKG via NRT or BKK?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
ZRH-HKG via NRT or BKK?

Hi Guys,
Need some advice. I have to change the date of my ZRH-HKG leg of my Aeroplan routing. Booking is in F. I was originally on LX 138 (direct), but there is no more space on the new dates I was considering. For F, my current options are now TG via BKK, or on LX/NH via NRT (the LX via BKK is not showing any availability on 1st). I know both are excellent airlines and offer great service, but are there any significant differences between the services (lounge in ZRH/BKK/NRT, ameneties on board, etc) offered by TG vs LX on these long hauls to Asia that I should consider one vs the other? . Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jordanD
Hi Guys,
Need some advice. I have to change the date of my ZRH-HKG leg of my Aeroplan routing. Booking is in F. I was originally on LX 138 (direct), but there is no more space on the new dates I was considering. For F, my current options are now TG via BKK, or on LX/NH via NRT (the LX via BKK is not showing any availability on 1st). I know both are excellent airlines and offer great service, but are there any significant differences between the services (lounge in ZRH/BKK/NRT, ameneties on board, etc) offered by TG vs LX on these long hauls to Asia that I should consider one vs the other? . Thanks.
You could try ZRH-PVG-HKG....

TG F is good if you are on one of the suites.
NH F intra Asia isn't as good as longhaul F.
CA isn't that bad given how short PVG-HKG is.

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Dec 14, 2011 at 3:09 pm Reason: PVG, not PEK
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Hi Guys,
Hmm...I am on that exact ZRH-HKG flight in about 8 weeks--it was tough to get that one If you can get LX to NRT you will avoid YQ charges on the LX part of it..then NH back to Hong Kong.

I also am flying NH HKG-HND, and even though it is business class, it looks like the plane actually has 8 First Class seats which they classify as business for that flight. I believe I get a first class seat, but business meal, etc. Sounds good to me!

PS-I suppose you could also fly OZ from FRA to ICN and then over to HKG.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
If you arrive on TG F and connect to TG F (or C in 2 cabin flights) you will be whisked away at arrival by a TG agent and directed to the spa lounge where you can receive an hour of full body massage.

It's quite nice after a long haul.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
The ground experience and the F lounge access incl. the massage at BKK are great when flying TG F.

Apart from that, I prefer LX F, but it may be a cultural thing.

Another consideration may be: TG F award availability is excellent, and I don´t see that changing in the near future. LH has massively decreased/elimiated F award availability over the last few weeks/months and I wouldn´t be surprised of LX were to follow. (of course I´m hoping my pessimistic forecast is wrong)
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
The best part with my itin is that ZRH-PVG-CKG-HKG has tons of availability.
(Although you would only get F on CKG-HKG and ZRH-PVG)
On NH I see the CA codeshare as bookable....
The Chinese visa is also cheaper than YQ.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The best part with my itin is that ZRH-PVG-CKG-HKG has tons of availability.
(Although you would only get F on CKG-HKG and ZRH-PVG)
On NH I see the CA codeshare as bookable....
The Chinese visa is also cheaper than YQ.
Connection at PVG does not need visa. You can enter China at PVG for 48 hours visa free but must have connecting ticket. You must claim your luggage, go through immigration, go upstairs to departure level (with your luggage) and check in again.

I personally would avoid connecting in China as long delay without announcement/explanation is common.

In flight experience of CA F is worse than AC J domestic.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spot planes
Connection at PVG does not need visa. You can enter China at PVG for 48 hours visa free but must have connecting ticket. You must claim your luggage, go through immigration, go upstairs to departure level (with your luggage) and check in again.

I personally would avoid connecting in China as long delay without announcement/explanation is common.

In flight experience of CA F is worse than AC J domestic.
They do explain...... You just have to know Chinese.
That's why I'm glad I do.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Hi Guys,
Can you go ZRH-FRA-ICN-HKG? OZ F would probably rate above TG F.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
They do explain...... You just have to know Chinese.
That's why I'm glad I do.
My last CA flight from PEK: sat at the gate for 45 minutes (post scheduled departure time, all boarding completed), no announcement. Then taxi out to somewhere and sat for another 40 minutes. No announcement. The PA was dead silent.

My last connection at PEK to TAO: 2 hours late. No incoming plane. No posting on gate monitor. Announcement in Chinese only about 30 minutes after scheduled departure time.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 5:55 am

Programs: aeroplan,aaadvantage
F class on china air SUCKS

If your choice is Thai or LX they are both outstanding, either Swiss effiency with a smile or Asian over the top service

Flew all 3 in the past year

China Air was dirty incompetent and probably the worst F class experience ever.
Thru points I have been lucky enough to have at least 15 A class under my belt and I have 14 great memories and I nightmare
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by mboca28
If your choice is Thai or LX they are both outstanding, either Swiss effiency with a smile or Asian over the top service

Flew all 3 in the past year

Thru points I have been lucky enough to have at least 15 A class under my belt and I have 14 great memories and I nightmare
China Airlines is SkyTeam.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know F on CA isn't the best, but please remember that all CA legs are just short Chinese domestic flights.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: aeroplan,aaadvantage
Air China not sky team

Air China is not sky team i think China Southern, China Eastern and China Air are skyteam partners

And unforunatley we flew Air china long haul Shanghai to Frankfurt A class and then Frankfurt to Miami A class on the new A388 ( we were grandfathered in it was booked prior to LH switching from 747 service

The air china was god awful, the lufthansa was incredible
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Air China is not sky team i think China Southern, China Eastern and China Air are skyteam partners
I think your terminology is not correct. There is no China Air.

It's either Air China (CA) or China Airlines (CI)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.