Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Alpine Canada with KLM? Where was AC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite

http://ow.ly/d/qpB

I'm a bit shocked to learn that Alpine Canada will be flying on KLM for the next three years. Good for them...but where was AC in that picture? Would it not make sense for the only Canadian Airlines to fly overseas to support our athletes AFTER the Olympic Games?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 3:43 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I couldn't get the article on my not so smartphone...

Although AC did some heavy Olympic Advertising, it could be that KLM was a much better value proposition for Alpine Canada.

If it saves them $ by going with a cheaper carrier then I'm all for it.

They'd likely need more than one carrier as their competition and training sites vary from Europe, North America, South America and NZ.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
My guess is, since the press release refers to this as a major partnership, and gives KLM naming rights to at least two races. It is not small potatoes. The release also toots the code share domestically with WS. AC may have been cut entirely. Would be willing to bet AC assumed the contract was theirs and didn't try to be competitive. Or maybe the folks who run ski Canada were tired of all the enhancements to AE. So they traded AC for af,kl,dl, and WS.
It is a bit shocking that a national ski team, one that is no doubt partly federally funded is flying under a foreign flag, but hey that's free enterprise for you.

Last edited by yul36; Dec 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
I'm sure that Alpine Canada sought out bids by various airlines - the nature of the business. No different than AC Jetz flying around major US sports teams.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.