Wiki Posts
Search

The Amigo and the Pineapples

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The Amigo and the Pineapples

With reference to this very informative post from ACYYZ/SD, who's flown on the Pineapples? Any significant difference from the Amigos?

I've read several posts that described Comfort Class on the Amigos in decidedly less than glowing terms. How are the Pineapples in comparison?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: AC*75K, Hhonors Diamond
I am flying from YUL to HNL via YYC this weekend and believe I will be on the 'pineapple' bird from YYC to HNL. It shows a 2-2-2 Exec config with 3 rows with on-demand video screens. Air Canada is selling this as domestic Exec class, not 'comfort plus'

Trying to decide if I should spend the upgrade credits

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Haw..._767-300_B.php

http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/c...7-300erxm.html - choose layout 5
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by rpeatt
Air Canada is selling this as domestic Exec class, not 'comfort plus'
Correct. They sell it as domestic J in the winter to Hawaii/Caribbean, but 'Comfort Class' to Europe in the summer.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Which are the lovely seats with 30" pitch on the Pineapples?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Perhaps at the next "DO" a name the planes contest should be sponsored.

I've heard the new arrivals referred to as the following:

>The Two Pineapples
>A Couple of Macadamia Nuts
>The Two Hula Girls (might be perceived as being sexist)
>The Two Nene's (the State Bird of Hawaii - actually a goose)

As far as 687? Once an Amigo always an Amigo.

Personally I vote for the "Two Pineapples".
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rehoult
Correct. They sell it as domestic J in the winter to Hawaii/Caribbean, but 'Comfort Class' to Europe in the summer.
The Macadamia Nut is anything but comfortable in row 2.Don't even want to call it J. Would take a row 12 A-C seat next time over the "non-comfort class."
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by acysb87
The Macadamia Nut is anything but comfortable in row 2.Don't even want to call it J. Would take a row 12 A-C seat next time over the "non-comfort class."
Totally respect your opinion. What I find interesting is that the aircraft was accepted in its original HA configuration of 18 F/C seats and indeed sold as First, and regularly used on HA's HNL-MNL/ICN & SYD routes. The seats have manual leg and footrest extensions, all appearing identical for each of the 3 rows. Just my opinion that the seats and features are far better than the ones on the aircraft that they have replaced.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:21 pm
B1

Seat guru seems to mix pineapples and amigos with no distinction:
"This configuration of the Air Canada 767-300 is exceptional and features an older layout which does not feature Air Canada's Executive First cabin. There are three aircraft in this older configuration which are used exclusively on seasonal leisure routes, including Athens, Cancun, Barcelona, Dublin and the Caribbean. Executive First is replaced with Comfort Plus which is an upgraded Economy Class product. Unlike Air Canada's newer aircraft, there are no personal televisions in either class. " Interestingly, the expert uses the term "televisions" in the same way your grandmother would have called an IFE monitor a television (Why is this lousy thing not getting the stations like on Westjet?).
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Perhaps at the next "DO" a name the planes contest should be sponsored.

I've heard the new arrivals referred to as the following:

>The Two Pineapples
>A Couple of Macadamia Nuts
>The Two Hula Girls (might be perceived as being sexist)
>The Two Nene's (the State Bird of Hawaii - actually a goose)

As far as 687? Once an Amigo always an Amigo.

Personally I vote for the "Two Pineapples".
I vote for Humuhumunukunukuapuaa (it's pronounced HOO-moo-HOO-moo-NOO-koo-NOO-koo-AH-poo-AH-ah).
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by B1
"This configuration of the Air Canada 767-300 is exceptional...
...and they use "exceptional" in the same way that Aeroplan uses "enhanced".
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Spot planes
I vote for Humuhumunukunukuapuaa (it's pronounced HOO-moo-HOO-moo-NOO-koo-NOO-koo-AH-poo-AH-ah).
Bound by federal language legislation, how would you possibly translate that to French??

Other FT members lurking in the AC forum periodically must think, "what the hell are they talking about"!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by acysb87
What was the problem? The specs off Seatguru sound fairly reasonable.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Bound by federal language legislation, how would you possibly translate that to French??

Other FT members lurking in the AC forum periodically must think, "what the hell are they talking about"!
Zee plane!

I was thinking the "Two Coconuts", but I do like Hawaiian Pineapples! (BTW, can anyone tell me why it costs more for pineapples on Hawaii than it does on the mainland?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by neuron
Zee plane!

I was thinking the "Two Coconuts", but I do like Hawaiian Pineapples! (BTW, can anyone tell me why it costs more for pineapples on Hawaii than it does on the mainland?
And Papayas as well!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:09 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by neuron
Zee plane!

Because you are buying Hawaiian pineapples and not pineapples from Thailand and the Philippines. You are paying for American labor without easy access to migrant workers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.