Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong check in counter opening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Quick question -- does the AC check in desk at HKG open the standard "3hrs before departure" or is it earlier?

I'd like to get there really early ... like 5 hrs ahead of time ... to visit the "big buddha" monument nearby and still get back 2.5 hrs or so ahead of the flight but don't know if i'll be able to check the bag or have to do baggage storage at HKG.

I'm on the YYZ flight that leaves @ 1500 and it's the first flight of the day (YVR flight is @ 1900) so no way to piggyback on an earlier flight, unfortunately.

Thanks
AB
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:08 pm

My experience has been that the AC desks open exactly three hours before departure. I believe, however, that you can do in-town check-in as early as 05:30 at the Hong Kong MTR station.

By the way, the Big Buddha is a tourist trap.

Last edited by yyzvoyageur; Oct 12, 2011 at 5:16 pm
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Yes, 3 hours exactly was my experience, and I echo the sentiment expressed by my "learned colleague".

If you have spare time, try a trip to Cheng Chau and walk around there for a while, sets life into perspective. Then leave for the airport.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
I would highly recommend the in-town checkin - so convenient and then you can take the MTR to Lantau Island. I liked visiting the Buddha and taking the gondola - a fun touristy thing to do.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
More reasons besides service to fly CX vs. AC on this route. You can check in on CX 24 hours prior, even check baggage through from your starting point, vs. HK, even though you have an overnight stopover and you can do check in at the Airport Express locations in Central or Kowloon with the same 24 hour rule.

Three hours prior? Bah.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
More reasons besides service to fly CX vs. AC on this route. You can check in on CX 24 hours prior, even check baggage through from your starting point, vs. HK, even though you have an overnight stopover and you can do check in at the Airport Express locations in Central or Kowloon with the same 24 hour rule.

Three hours prior? Bah.
Interesting when does the CX check in desk in Toronto open? Can I assume 24 hour as well?

Since they are such a great airline I'm sure it must be at least that early.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I went to see the BiG B as well, but I thought you would get off the cable car and there it was but no, it was quite a walk from the cable car. Make sure you have enought time to make it back to the airport.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC MM 50K, Marriott LTT
Three hours sounds right for airport check-in.

I kind of like visiting the Big Budda ... don't really find it to be a huge tourist trap. Plus, enjoy climbing the steps for a little cardio workout, at least for me.

If you want something different and scenic, take the bus from Tung Chung which takes about an hour one way ... but is fun. IIRC, it is bus #23? You can use the Octopus pass for the bus ride.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Interesting when does the CX check in desk in Toronto open? Can I assume 24 hour as well?

Since they are such a great airline I'm sure it must be at least that early.
No.

24 hours in-town check-in is a service provided by HK MTR Airport Express (train) Service. You must purchase the train ticket to use this check-in service, but you don't have to take that train if you don't want to.

When will the Toronto airport train start running again?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Wow ... great advice ... thanks a bunch.

I didn't know we could do the check in at the train station with AC.

and Re: tourist trap ... expectations are low but, similar to walking around the town of Narita ahead of a flight out of NRT, it'll be good to get a little excercise and culture ahead of the 15 hours sitting in an aluminium tube!

thanks again
AB
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
+1 for using the in-town check-in - I always use it, and take the train to/from airport
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
My experience has been that the AC desks open exactly three hours before departure. I believe, however, that you can do in-town check-in as early as 05:30 at the Hong Kong MTR station.

It's not THAT bad! The cable car ride is fun and the views around BB are nice, especially if you get there early or leave later in the afternoon. There's hiking nearby as well as the Heart Sutra/Wisdom Path. None of is mind-blowingly amazing, but it was quiet and relaxing - I enjoyed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.