Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Alert !!!!Tuesday Sept 20 - Strike updates, notices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Air Canada is changing AC Express (the airline formerly known as Jazz) schedules to redeploy aircraft on mainline routes.

So the former advice that "Jazz will not be effective" has to be reconsidered.

Check with AC about your "Jazz" flight tomorrow.

Air Canada mainline flights are not currently affected by the contingency schedule preparations. The airline will provide updates as plans are finalized and developments warrant.
http://newswire.ca/en/releases/archi.../20/c4923.html

Talks have resumed, and the feds are rushing the back to work legislation through.

The previous conventional wisdom that it would take a week or more to get the legislation approved appears to be overly pessimistic. The Conservatives appear to be using their majority to ram this through the Common ASAP, like today or tomorrow.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...ks-break-down/

Ms. Raitt also served notice of a motion to have the back-to-work bill dealt with in one sitting, and to limit the amount of time allocated for its debate.

The motion calls for the bill to be read three times in the House, with no more than two hours of debate on its second reading, no more than one hour for the committee as a whole stage, and no more than a half an hour for the consideration of the third reading, an limiting each member from speaking for more than 10 minutes.

At the same time, no motion to adjourn the debate or the House from sitting will be permitted during the proceedings unless presented by the Crown or the Tories, the motion reads.

The move is seen as a way to preempt another filibuster by the Opposition NDP akin to the one they held in June when a back-to-work bill was tabled for striking Canada Post workers.
But a deal could be close, too

But Ms. Raitt said the two sides told her in a meeting on Monday that they were close to a deal and she hopes they can come to terms without the need for federal back-to-work legislation.

“When I met with them yesterday, they indicated they were very close to a deal, that they would be able to push through the last little bit and they would find a solution and a collective agreement,” Ms. Raitt said.

Last edited by Sebring; Sep 20, 2011 at 8:03 am
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
4th strike thread....can we reach 5

Tuesday September 20 2011 - News Release

Mr. Duncan Dee reports

AIR CANADA PROVIDES UPDATE ON CUPE LABOUR NEGOTIATIONS

Air Canada said today talks with CUPE, which represents the airline's 6,800 flight attendants, are continuing prior to the union's strike deadline of 12:01 a.m. EDT September 21, 2011, assisted by federally-appointed mediators.

However, in the event a strike cannot be averted before CUPE's deadline, the airline is proceeding to prepare for the implementation of a partial schedule, if required, for Wednesday September 21 in order to ensure orderly schedule modifications as necessary. Effective immediately, temporary modifications are being made to some regularly scheduled Air Canada Express flights operated by Jazz on September 21 in order to redeploy the limited number of aircraft available to serve the greatest number of passengers on Air Canada's highest demand domestic and transborder routes.

Air Canada Express customers booked for travel Wednesday September 21 who are affected by schedule changes are being notified directly by Air Canada or their travel agent. Customers who booked directly through Air Canada will receive an email or SMS notification if a change has been made to their itinerary inviting them to use Air Canada's online rebooking tool for Delayed and Cancelled Flights at aircanada.com in order to make alternate arrangements. Customers with cancelled flights also have the option of requesting a full refund through the online rebooking tool.

"We regret the inconvenience the ongoing labour uncertainty is creating for our customers and we thank them for their patience," said Duncan Dee, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. "We are fully committed to reaching a negotiated agreement with CUPE prior to their strike deadline and our preference is to do so without government intervention through back-to-work legislation. However, at this stage we have no choice but to start modifying our schedule to better implement a contingency schedule for September 21 if required. We apologize to those customers affected and will communicate developments on an ongoing basis."

Air Canada mainline flights are not currently affected by the contingency schedule preparations. The airline will provide updates as plans are finalized and developments warrant.

In addition to offering the option of refunds to customers whose flights have been cancelled, Air Canada has introduced a flexible rebooking policy to enable customers booked for travel over the next six days on a rolling window basis (September 20-25, 21-26, etc.) to change their flight dates free of charge until December 9, 2011, subject to seat availability.

Call centre wait times are longer than usual due to increased call volumes. Customers are urged to consult aircanada.com that will continue to be updated with the latest available information and to use the airline's self service tools for flight information and rebooking. Customers may also contact their travel agent for assistance.

© 2011 Canjex Publishing Ltd.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
I have a flight from LHR to YYZ tomorrow evening (BA booked as backup.) What logistically happens to those FAs/Crew that travelled overnight to arrive "on strike." Do they stay abroad or will they likely be there to fly me back?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by kellytoronto
I have a flight from LHR to YYZ tomorrow evening (BA booked as backup.) What logistically happens to those FAs/Crew that travelled overnight to arrive "on strike." Do they stay abroad or will they likely be there to fly me back?
once they arrive YYZ their duty day is over and they go on strike. What i understand is management staff will pose as FAs and serve you back..... you should technically (if flown) get better service
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
once they arrive YYZ their duty day is over and they go on strike. What i understand is management staff will pose as FAs and serve you back..... you should technically (if flown) get better service
But my question is about the other way. On Wednesday at 12:01AM, there will be all sorts of planes in the air over the Atlantic, etc. What happens to those FAs? Do they get ferried back, or are they left to their own devices overseas, because I doubt the company pays per diem or expenses while they're on strike. In the same vein, would there be managers on all those flights as pax in order to work the aircraft on the way back?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by kellytoronto
But my question is about the other way. On Wednesday at 12:01AM, there will be all sorts of planes in the air over the Atlantic, etc. What happens to those FAs? Do they get ferried back, or are they left to their own devices overseas, because I doubt the company pays per diem or expenses while they're on strike. In the same vein, would there be managers on all those flights as pax in order to work the aircraft on the way back?
i think managers will be deadheaded in advance to do the return journey. As for the unionized employees landing in LHR, i believe they will be deadheaded home (either on a revenue seat or on a jump seat). Who will pay for their deadhead either the union or company i guess.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
When do we find out?

I'm supposed to be flying AC 763/692 on Saturday from EWR-YYZ-YYT - when will I find out if my flights are going? If I input my flight numbers and booking code into their cancelled flight service tool, it says the service is not available for this itinerary.

Weirdly, my Expedia itinerary shows a change to my flights - but it appears to be simply that the assigned seat for my return (CO nonstop) on Oct. 1 has been revoked, and it's now seat selection upon check-in. Nothing's changed on the AC segments.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
As for the unionized employees landing in LHR, i believe they will be deadheaded home (either on a revenue seat or on a jump seat). Who will pay for their deadhead either the union or company i guess.
My FA friend who works for AC said nobody would be paying for her flight back home. Not AC, not the union. She would have to buy a one-way ticket home or rent a hotel room to be stuck overseas. So she called in sick today for her flight to Europe.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:37 pm

I guess your FA friend did not receive the email that AC would gaurantee the return to home of all the FAs last night, so that they don't have to worry to be stranded for working today.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:49 pm

I posted this in the Jazz thread, but it's probably best here:

The dominoes will start to fall in the next several hours:

Watch the YVR, YYZ and YUL airport departure Web pages ; expect to see a wave of cancellations in the next few hours, particularly for overseas flights; we'll quickly get a sense as to how contingency plans are working out.

http://www.torontopearson.com/en/fli...tureschedules/
http://www.admtl.com/Passengers/AirS....aspx?type=DEP
http://www.yvr.ca/en/flight-information/departing.aspx

For example, tomorrow's Montreal - Houston AC7997 is already showing cancelled; that's a CRJ700 being redeployed. Same for YUL-BOS tomorrow, another CRJ700 moved away....as with tomorrow's Montreal - Chicago.

Stay tuned...

Then start to watch the late east to west coast flights....I think we will quickly get a sense of what will happen
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K SPG Plat 75
The flight changes are listed on aircanada.com's flight status tool. Here are a few I gleaned for tomorrow:

Added:
10x YYZ-YUL (CRA/CRJ/DH1)
6x YYZ-YOW (CRA)
5x YYZ-YHZ (CRA)
2x YUL-YHZ (CRJ)
6x YYZ-LGA (CRA)
3x YUL-LGA (CRJ)
2x YYZ-YWG (CRA)

Cancelled:
1x YOW-LGA (CRJ)
3x YYZ-YQM (CRJ)
1x YYZ-YQT (CRJ)
Plus probably most CRA destinations to accommodate the additional domestic flights.

The added flights aren't bookable, and will most likely be cancelled if the strike tomorrow doesn't materialize.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by ac789
The flight changes are listed on aircanada.com's flight status tool.

what's the web page for that?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by jarusoba
My FA friend who works for AC said nobody would be paying for her flight back home. Not AC, not the union. She would have to buy a one-way ticket home or rent a hotel room to be stuck overseas. So she called in sick today for her flight to Europe.
technically should be able to file a claim against the union......... that is what they pay union dues for...... a reserve fund for strike pay and expenses

once again "technically"
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Tentative agreement (again!)

Strike's off

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...ts-1563515.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.