Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Arrivals Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC QR WS*P
LHR Arrivals Lounge

The Bacon Sandwich (which from listening to people talk on previous threads, gives me the impression that it should be capitalized) has got me thinking about my upcoming return from SIN to YHZ via LHR. Can I access the arrivals lounge coming in on a SQ flight? I had read some old (6 years) threads that said no, but looking on the AC website it says:

Please Note: Star Alliance Gold cardholders from other Star Alliance carriers (excluding Air Canada Gold members) do not have access to the Air Canada Arrivals Lounge in London-Heathrow.
I read that as:
  • People arriving on AC in J or E/SE can access the lounge
  • People on other *A carriers cannot access the lounge unless they are AC E/SE

I am sure this has been covered more recently, I just didn't see it. Anyone have recent experience with this?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by kelapstick
The Bacon Sandwich (which from listening to people talk on previous threads, gives me the impression that it should be capitalized) has got me thinking about my upcoming return from SIN to YHZ via LHR. Can I access the arrivals lounge coming in on a SQ flight? I had read some old (6 years) threads that said no, but looking on the AC website it says:

I read that as:
  • People arriving on AC in J or E/SE can access the lounge
  • People on other *A carriers cannot access the lounge unless they are AC E/SE

I am sure this has been covered more recently, I just didn't see it. Anyone have recent experience with this?

The Arrivals Lounge is not a Star Alliance lounge.

You must be arriving on an Air Canada operated flight during the lounge's opening hours. And, jou must be in J, or an Air Canada E/SE, or have a pass, or pay for it.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC 100KSE
Hope someone can provide some advice.
In November, I will be connecting through LHR, arriving at noon on AC and departing on a BA flight from T5 at 3 pm.

This is a new routing for me (instead of FRA) and I am not familiar with the airport. I have heard about the arrivals lounge and would like to check it out, but don't know if it is practical.

The arrivals lounge is through customs, it looks like - is this a problem? I'm travelling on a Canadian passport. Would I have to clear customs to get into T5 to continue on?

Can someone advise as to whether I should have enough time to get to the lounge and then to T5 in 3 hours? I know buses or trains are involved...
Thanks
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by yyj9
Hope someone can provide some advice.
In November, I will be connecting through LHR, arriving at noon on AC and departing on a BA flight from T5 at 3 pm.

This is a new routing for me (instead of FRA) and I am not familiar with the airport. I have heard about the arrivals lounge and would like to check it out, but don't know if it is practical.

The arrivals lounge is through customs, it looks like - is this a problem? I'm travelling on a Canadian passport. Would I have to clear customs to get into T5 to continue on?

Can someone advise as to whether I should have enough time to get to the lounge and then to T5 in 3 hours? I know buses or trains are involved...
Thanks
The LHR arrivals lounge is inside the UK - to get to it you clear customs and actually go outside the main T3 building and then re-enter it, nearby where you would get a taxi.

Normally going T3 to T5 you'd be getting on an airport bus and transiting over to T5 where you would re-clear security before you got to your gate, never entering the UK. If you wanted to go to the arrivals lounge you'd have to enter the UK through customs, go to the lounge, then leave the lounge and get yourself over to T5 (maybe via Heathrow Express which is free from T3 to T5) and then clear security and go to your gate.

IMO not really worth it for 3 hours. You'd maybe get an hour in the lounge at best (depending on the customs lineup, etc.) before you needed to start heading back again.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
The LHR arrivals lounge is inside the UK - to get to it you clear customs and actually go outside the main T3 building and then re-enter it, nearby where you would get a taxi.

Normally going T3 to T5 you'd be getting on an airport bus and transiting over to T5 where you would re-clear security before you got to your gate, never entering the UK. If you wanted to go to the arrivals lounge you'd have to enter the UK through customs, go to the lounge, then leave the lounge and get yourself over to T5 (maybe via Heathrow Express which is free from T3 to T5) and then clear security and go to your gate.

IMO not really worth it for 3 hours. You'd maybe get an hour in the lounge at best (depending on the customs lineup, etc.) before you needed to start heading back again.
Depends.

If you have an EU passport, or an invitation to fast track, it may often much faster to go landside. My experience is with T3 to T1/2, in which case I use the tunnel and go though security at T1/2 departure, which is often faster than connections. I don't think the T3 to T5 train would add much to this. Surely it's not slower than these stupid buses.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Mmm ... Bacon ...

Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Well it wouldn't be any *more* worth it if he had more time. It's not like there's anything to do in the lounge. it's small and not an exciting place to be. T5 on the other hand is new and it's an interesting building in itself -- not a dumpy terminal you need a lounge to escape from.

I would only bother in this case if you would like to have a shower. Having a shower after a redeye is pretty nice, especially if the next flight is kind of long as well.

But you don't have all that much time. Just enough to pop into the shower and grab a croissant and run to the train. It's worse too since you don't know exactly how long the train will be so you'll have to allow extra time. And worse again that you haven't done it before and could easily make a wrong turn somewhere and lose 10 minutes (and then that could make you miss a train...).

One thing to be aware of is that at T5 they are *serious* about the timing. If you arrive at security too close to your gate time according to their formula they won't let you through security. Even if you have plenty of time to run to the gate. So you can't dawdle at the arrivals lounge, leave for the train assuming it'll depart when you get to the station and risk arriving at security a minute late.

I suspect your AC flight will arrive early and with luck immigration will be light and you can have a relaxing shower and breakfast. But if your flight lands a few minutes late or immigration is backed up then the time in the lounge might be more like 20 minutes and you might as well turn around before going through immigration and just catch the connections bus.

Last edited by zkzkz; Sep 28, 2011 at 9:49 pm
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC 100KSE
Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll wait until I am actually going to the UK or until I have a crazy long layover to get my bacon...
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by yyj9
Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll wait until I am actually going to the UK or until I have a crazy long layover to get my bacon...
Or you're not going to T5 (or T4 which is also really far). I do it routinely when going to T1 but because I'm walking the whole way and I've done it before I know exactly how long it'll take. And if I run a little late i can just adjust my pace and security won't be a problem.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I had the bacon and cheese version

On another note, does anyone know of, or have any suggestions for luggage storage for a few days in T3 near the arrivals MLL?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by yyznomad

On another note, does anyone know of, or have any suggestions for luggage storage for a few days in T3 near the arrivals MLL?
Put it up above one of the stained ceiling tiles inside the terminal. You could leave it there for a few years and nobody would notice.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by yyznomad

There's a left luggage paid storage desk right by the doors you exit to get to the arrivals lounge.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM), BA Gold, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime), National Exec
Beware sticker shock...

Originally Posted by somedude3210
There's a left luggage paid storage desk right by the doors you exit to get to the arrivals lounge.
That place is handy.

I'm not sure how expense constrained you are, but I recall being a bit humbled by what they charge for storing bags...I did it anyway but just make sure you ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.