Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: When does *G status get conveyed to other alliance members?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: When does *G status get conveyed to other alliance members?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E
When does *G status get conveyed to other alliance members?

I got AC Elite early recognition about a week ago, with my Aeroplan account online updated stating that I have elite status. However I've booked a flight with United and when they added my Aeroplan number, their systems state that I am still a basic member, even after deletion and re-addition of the account number.

When do the systems usually update? The AC system is already updated and I have my e-upgrade points and everything.

If this isn't normal, who would I talk to to get this fixed? I'd like to take advantage of free check-in luggage for the upcoming flight.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I don't think I ever got any sort of recognition from the UA website if I put in my AC # (I'm E). If it's just checked bags, don't even worry about it, you can sort that all out at the airport with no problems. (While accessing the red carpet lane )
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

I called UA up and they "confirmed" that I currently have no status and that I'll need to pay a fee for bags. I also don't have my AC elite card yet either.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:56 pm

When is your flight? There is always the possibility that you'll get your card before your flight.

If nothing else, when you do OLCI re-enter your AE number and see if AC*G shows up on your BP.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 3:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by andrewluu
I called UA up and they "confirmed" that I currently have no status and that I'll need to pay a fee for bags. I also don't have my AC elite card yet either.
Print out you statement showing AC*E and show it to the agent at checkin.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat, A3 Gold
*A carriers send elite status updates to each other once a week. Not sure exactly what day though...
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DLinYUL
*A carriers send elite status updates to each other once a week. Not sure exactly what day though...
They do? I'm not sure that's right, but even assuming they do, there is virtually no benefit to you, since you are not really going to get any special treatment as a AC*E.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
They do? I'm not sure that's right, but even assuming they do, there is virtually no benefit to you, since you are not really going to get any special treatment as a AC*E.
As was mentioned, free checked bags not to mention RCC admission, so it is worth having some evidence of STARGold status.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 2:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shareholder
As was mentioned, free checked bags not to mention RCC admission, so it is worth having some evidence of STARGold status.
Yes, but these are benefits 'on the day' with no advantage of UA knowing this ahead of time (if it is true that AC updates UA on a weekly basis, which I doubt.)
Old Jul 31, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC Elite
It goes the otherway too

My wife was AC-P (*S) many years ago and United / USAirways still have her as that status even though she's maybe flown 1 flight a year. Meanwhile, I had a year where I didn't fly and UA had me at nothing. Whenever I flew with my wife, we had free bags and Priority 1 boarding. When I flew alone, I had Priority 4.

I just got E a week ago and am flying on AC SFO - YYZ later this week on a UA ticket... I wonder what my status will be when I check in.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by LondonElite

I swore I've been given E+ on a handful of flights because I'm *G.

Additionally, you can use the biz class line to check in and in many US airports you can use the priority lines.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 2:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dorian

Additionally, you can use the biz class line to check in and in many US airports you can use the priority lines.
To E+: possibly, although that officially stopped a few years ago. Now E+ is just for UA/CO status pax.

Check in: yes, but again, I was referring to benefits that may happen behind the scenes (none), not on the day privileges (like those you mention) that you can use with your *G card.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Dorian
Maybe back was overbooked in non-E+ seating so it's like an opup, but UA stopped giving E+ away to STARGolds years ago because it generates $s for them (which is why it's being extended to CO planes next year).
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

The Aeroplan site states that my package was mailed to me on the 28th so hopefully my card arrives in time for my flight in a week.

Usually I do online check in and they ask you how many bags you plan on checking in - I guess I'll state zero, and then go in line and (hopefully) show my card to get the free checked luggage then.

As for "behind the scene benefits," it'd just be nice to be able to OLCI and confirm that I don't need to pay for checked baggage to ensure that I'm not trapped at the airport with any charges. I'll try to call them the day before the flight and try one more time.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by andrewluu
The Aeroplan site states that my package was mailed to me on the 28th so hopefully my card arrives in time for my flight in a week.

Usually I do online check in and they ask you how many bags you plan on checking in - I guess I'll state zero, and then go in line and (hopefully) show my card to get the free checked luggage then.

As for "behind the scene benefits," it'd just be nice to be able to OLCI and confirm that I don't need to pay for checked baggage to ensure that I'm not trapped at the airport with any charges. I'll try to call them the day before the flight and try one more time.
Someone mentioned that status only gets updates once a week within *A. This seems very plausible since a lot of things tend to happen in consistent intervals (generally referred to as sweeps).

So you got Elite status not when you passed 35k miles but rather at the first sweep after you passed 35k. Now you just need to get swept out to the rest of the *A and then you should be golden.

Hopefully you have your card by then but if not just try removing and reentering your AE number and it might work. As others have mentioned, bring along proof as well but they may think you are trying to pull the wool over their eyes (or they could be darlings about it, depends on who you get).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.