Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Re-use of credit from a previous ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K

Just spoke with three different agents with the exact same outcome: "this is what the computer calculated, computers cannot be wrong, therefore you'll have to pay up sir. "

Old ticket:
Base Fare: $924.01
Surcharges: $164.99
Fuel Surcharge: $190.00
Taxes, Fees and charges: $56.45
-----------------------------------------
Total: $1335.45

Newticket:
Base Fare: $943.85
Surcharges: $4.15
Fuel Surcharge: $250.00
Taxes, Fees and charges: $107.38
-----------------------------------------
Total: $1305.38

1) Agent says the difference in fare is ~$110 (250+107.38-190-56.45)
2) Agent says "surcharges" on her computer are grouped together with the 'base fare', so they do not enter into the fare difference calculation. So basically I am at at a total loss of $150 because the previous 'surcharges' were so high. On ac.com, Base fare and surcharges are displayed separately, am I wrong to assume that 'surcharges' are not part of the base fare?!
3) It was my understanding that the Base Fare is not refundable, but everything else is recalculated when credits are applied. Am I wrong again?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
That "surcharges" number on the original ticket seems obscenely high. I am left to wonder if this is the result of that super-sneaky, basically fraudulent "Peak Travel Premium" that I complained about to the Competition Bureau. When the surcharge figure gets that high, I'm at a loss for how you get there except if it's that PTP charge. (Unless the old ticket involved a departure from LHR with their sky-high departure tax?)

Can you please provide the origin, destination and date (or approximate date)? Also, I think you are entitled to a detailed breakdown of the surcharges and if I were you I would demand to know what every penny of that $164.99 consists of.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Souvlaki
That "surcharges" number on the original ticket seems obscenely high. I am left to wonder if this is the result of that super-sneaky, basically fraudulent "Peak Travel Premium" that I complained about to the Competition Bureau. When the surcharge figure gets that high, I'm at a loss for how you get there except if it's that PTP charge. (Unless the old ticket involved a departure from LHR with their sky-high departure tax?)

Can you please provide the origin, destination and date (or approximate date)? Also, I think you are entitled to a detailed breakdown of the surcharges and if I were you I would demand to know what every penny of that $164.99 consists of.
The old ticket was: YVR-HKG // PEK-YVR with departure and arrival date surrounding xmas. Yes, it was the peak season.
New ticket is: YVR-HKG-LAS in Sept/Oct, ie - low season.

Souvlaki, what is PTP?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by beepyou
The old ticket was: YVR-HKG // PEK-YVR with departure and arrival date surrounding xmas. Yes, it was the peak season.
New ticket is: YVR-HKG-LAS in Sept/Oct, ie - low season.

Souvlaki, what is PTP?
My abbreviation for "Peak Travel Premium". It's an arbitrary charge that AC quietly introduced sometime in the fairly recent past. See the bottom of this page: http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/c...surcharge.html

I call it a fraud because it is a demand-based surcharge that is in addition to the base fare, which is already subject to variation in response to supply and demand. Notice that there is no definition on the page as to when the PTP will apply, how much it is, how it will be calculated, etc. It is a truly arbitrary charge that is designed to be buried in among things such as YQ, NAV and AIF. For more, see these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l-premium.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...on-bureau.html
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:30 pm

Dummy booking YVR-HKG (Dec 20) PEK-YVR (Dec 30):

Base Fare (SHCG,SHXCNT) 1097.00
Surcharges 15.00

Dummy booking YVR-HKG (Dec 20) PEK-YVR (Jan 4):

Base Fare (SHCG,SHXCNT) 1097.00
Surcharges 165.00
etc.

Fare conditions are as follows. Note arbitrary surcharge between Jan 1-10, in boldface, which explains the higher surcharge for returning in January. I think this is deliberate deception and hiding of a portion of the base fare in amongst the NAV, AIF etc. I think this is fraud, plain and simple.

Surcharges:
To: Hong Kong, (HKG - Hong Kong Int'l)
Fare Basis Code: SHCG
FCL: SHCG TRF: 864 RULE: ACFR BK: S
PTC: ADT-ADULT FTC: XEX-REGULAR EXCURSION
SU.SURCHARGES
NONE UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED

To: Vancouver, BC (YVR - Vancouver Int'l)
Fare Basis Code: SHXCNT
FCL: SHXCNT TRF: 864 RULE: ACFR BK: S
PTC: ADT-ADULT FTC: XPX-INSTANT PURCHASE EXCURSION
SU.SURCHARGES
BASE FARE
BETWEEN CHINA AND CANADA

IF INFANT UNDER 02 WITHOUT A SEAT.
THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR TRAVEL PER DIRECTION.

ORIGINATING CHINA -
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL VIA TRANSPACIFIC
SECTORS ON

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
AC FLIGHT 0032
AC FLIGHT 0088
A SURCHARGE OF CNY 300.0 PER DIRECTION WILL BE ADDED
TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL.

OTHERWISE
ORIGINATING CHINA -
THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR TRAVEL PER DIRECTION

ORIGINATING CANADA INBOUND -
A SURCHARGE OF CAD 150.00 WILL BE ADDED TO THE
APPLICABLE FARE FOR SEASONAL TRAVEL FROM 20AUG THROUGH
07SEP
OR - A SURCHARGE OF CAD 150.00 WILL BE ADDED TO THE
APPLICABLE FARE FOR SEASONAL TRAVEL FROM 01JAN
THROUGH 10JAN.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

It does seem like PTP was the cause of the high surcharge for my original ticket... doubt I'll get them back so I guess I'll probably cancel the original ticket for $200 since the change fees will come out to approximately the same..
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
That "surcharges" number on the original ticket seems obscenely high. I am left to wonder if this is the result of that super-sneaky, basically fraudulent "Peak Travel Premium" that I complained about to the Competition Bureau.
You complained to the Competition Bureau?..

Any results?..

Did CB respond to you?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
You complained to the Competition Bureau?..

Any results?..

Did CB respond to you?
Yeah I got a boilerplate "we have to investigate" note from them. I'm not the only one who complained and to my mind the tactic is so brutally fraudulent I'm just agog that so few people seem bothered by it. This is one surcharge that makes YQ look perfectly above-board by comparison.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Yeah I got a boilerplate "we have to investigate" note from them. I'm not the only one who complained and to my mind the tactic is so brutally fraudulent I'm just agog that so few people seem bothered by it. This is one surcharge that makes YQ look perfectly above-board by comparison.
Good for you..

Keep us posted on any Competition Bureau feedback..
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:20 am
Original Poster

I'll file a complain for sure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.