Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Would you support Air Canada to ban babies flying the J-cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador

I am actually very excited to see Malaysia Airlines to ban babies traveling first class. I hope Air Canada take the same measure.

Crying babies ranks No.1 among my "Top Five Reasons that I rather jump off an airplane from sky" (others being "US Custom Offices", "Loud Cellphone Talkers in the lounge", etc).

It sounds like I am so extreme and like a Nazi, but babies should not be allowed to fly until reaching an age of 5 at least.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baby ban in first class on Malaysia Airlines

(CNNGo.com) -- Malaysia Airlines will ban babies from traveling first class on its Airbus A380 super jumbo jet, according to online reports.

The decision comes after the airline banned babies from the first class section of its fleet of Boeing 747-400 jets.

The baby ban will be extended to its Airbus A380 jets, Malaysia Airlines CEO Tengku Azmil told Australian Business Traveller on Sunday via Twitter. Requests from CNNGo to Malaysia Airlines for comment went unanswered at time of writing.

The airline ordered six A380s and the first is expected to be delivered in June 2012. "We r planning to stick to our policy for now," Azmil told Australian Business Traveller in a Twitter exchange when asked whether the first class section of its A380 planes will have bassinets. (Read the complete exchange here).

CNNGo: Unseen Asia: 25 overlooked destinations

Some Twitter users questioned why the airline doesn't try other nursing techniques, such as employing sky nannies and distributing baby blankets.

Defending his policy, Azmil said that while it was "a tough call," it addresses complaints from first class passengers that they spend a lot of money on first class travel but are often unable to sleep because of wailing infants.

Instead, babies and their parents will now need to fly in the airline's business and economy classes.

The airline's 747-400 planes make long-haul flights between Kuala Lumpur and Sydney, London and Amsterdam.

CNNGo: Malaysia's 5 mamak stall favorites

© 2011 Cable News Network Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:13 pm
QNX

NO I DON'T SUPPORT THIS, we haven't reached this point of inhumanity yet.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
This is ridiculous - I would support a ban of people who support this.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Whiny pax or whiny infants what's the diff?

No I wouldn't support such a silly notion. If AC had an F cabin like MH then maybe but to ban tots from their J class seems complete and total overkill, at least IMHO.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
It's called earplugs.

I also do not support this.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by lespoir
I am actually very excited to see Malaysia Airlines to ban babies traveling first class. I hope Air Canada take the same measure.

Crying babies ranks No.1 among my "Top Five Reasons that I rather jump off an airplane from sky" (others being "US Custom Offices", "Loud Cellphone Talkers in the lounge", etc).

It sounds like I am so extreme and like a Nazi, but babies should not be allowed to fly until reaching an age of 5 at least.

I am also a fan of banning people with stupid ideas, much like this one. Babies cry, its a fact of life. Just because you have kids doesnt mean that your life should stop.

Besides, there has been way more supposed "adults" on flights that I wish I could toss off then there ever has been annoying babies.

There is real battles to be fought in this world, why do people waste their times with the ones that really dont matter at all. But alas, sometimes some people just feel the need to hear their own voice, and dont really pay much attention to what comes out.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC*E
I find adult men talking loud and picking their toes much more gross than babies crying and drooling.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:36 pm

Good for MH. Not as if J is roughing it.

And it's irrelevant what posters here think about the rule - The only opinions MH should care about are the folks coming up with the huge $$ for F service. I'm assuming they have done their due dilligence with their coveted customers. I'm happy they have responded to the wishes
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:43 pm

This seems rather harsh, (to ban them )

Could they not just put them in the cargo hold. ??
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: HHonor Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I do not support this. Those babies should never fly the airlines that banned them from the F class.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Everyone was a baby at one point in life. Banning babies is stupid.

It would be more constructive to ban parents of babies who choose to do nothing while said babies wail and cry.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Maybe an area where the babies can only be?
I've seen a mother changing a diaper on an EF seat, thankfully to be told to go immediately to the washroom.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:04 pm

Absolutely not. I don't have children and likely never will, but I don't agree with a ban.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Maybe an area where the babies can only be?
I've seen a mother changing a diaper on an EF seat, thankfully to be told to go immediately to the washroom.
What's wrong with that? We've done it ( putting a pad on the seat first).
The J cabin washrooms do not have change tables, and even if they did,
the seat is much larger and safer for changing a squirming baby.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:10 pm

Regarding the Malaysia baby ban: is this only for lap children or anyone under a certain age? I think the ban on lap children seems much more reasonable as they are not paying, while their cabin mates likely paid thousands and thousands of dollars. I also assume that there are relatively few people that pay around 15k to take their 3 year old in long-haul first class.

Business class is a viable alternative to first class. There are plenty of people who are able and willing to travel in business class that have babies. First class provides that added luxury, privacy and personal service and a screaming baby interferes for quite a bit. Airlines would lose a lot of business by banning adults with babies in business, but likely not lose many sales due to not allowing babies in first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.