Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

More upgrades to Executive Class for less this summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More upgrades to Executive Class for less this summer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by will5404
Wouldn't fewer upgrades to executive class this summer be the grammatically correct way to say it?
I just needed to change the exact word to show the threads are related but the opposite
Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:46 am

Supply n demand in the works here
Old Jun 26, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Our point is that this is an awful decision on AC's part.
It is only an awful decision if they are selling less seats in J this year than others. If their load factor in J is equal to or greater than past years, then the decision makes good sense. So... have any data to support that loads in J are down this summer?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Not wanting to be too academic, but by swapping the words you are actually conveying the wrong idea as well as a gramatical problem.

With the deal gone, this summer there are in fact lots of upgrade for more, not fewer for more as your word swap suggests.

To be correct, you could go either go with more upgrades for more this summer, or fewer updates for less.

OK, enough of that.

I think it is a poor decision and a bit of a let down to take away the summer upgrade promotion. I have benefited from it over the years, but obviously AC doesn't feel it is in their best interests to reward us with a a comfy seat for the summer. Although I won't be leaving AC, it will be another factor in deciding where to put my business this summer.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So you will get upgraded but at what cost??
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Stranger
A bit lost here.

AC never rolled over credits, apart from the Feb. 28 limit.

Plus, if you sit on a pile of credits, it's actually better for you if they don't change the rules over summer.
They rolled over any credits earned after October 25th, 2012.

EDIT - should have said October 25th 2011.

Originally Posted by ridefar
It is only an awful decision if they are selling less seats in J this year than others. If their load factor in J is equal to or greater than past years, then the decision makes good sense. So... have any data to support that loads in J are down this summer?
This is why I was open to the possibility that they clear a not insignificant number of these upgrades at the gate, so as to not lose revenue. The only difference it would make it having a US style cabin where there are few, if no empty J seats.

Last edited by Tedgrrrr; Jun 26, 2012 at 11:40 am
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:15 am

With the E threshold raised to 50K/50 segments for 2013 and the introduction of Tango fare with 50% accrual ratio on many international routes at the old Tango Plus price, many may want to do MR during the summer to bridge to the 35K or 50K thresholds for 2013.

One of the reasons has to be that AC does not want those wanting to do so to have more chances (or easier) to fly MR in Executive class.

2012 is a transition year where AC is definitely trying to “prune” away the lower revenue generating P, E and SE.

While some airlines still give 100% accrual for discount economy fare to Aeroplan members, I shall not be surprised if the accrual ratio will reduce in the near future, or AC will raise the minimum AC distance and segments requirement to stop it.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:20 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by Stranger
The fact that I'm upset is especially telling given that I'm a millionaire as far as credits are concerned - maybe even a billionaire. If I had a measly 20 or 30 credits it would be one thing. But the fact that I have so many credits and yet I'm upset doesn't really have to do with the credits per se, but rather with the constant devaluation of benefits which we've been exposed to. My goals are twofold, first to stand up for my poor SE/E friends who are barely squeaking by and living "paycheck to paycheck", and two to protest the constant devaluation of benefits.

Incidentally, Mountaingirl hit the nail on the head when she expressed concern that this might be a precursor to AC deciding to stop rolling over credits... By protesting this change, we are sending a sign to AC that we won't tolerate a change to the unwritten "rollover" policy.
A bit lost here.

AC never rolled over credits, apart from the Feb. 28 limit.

Plus, if you sit on a pile of credits, it's actually better for you if they don't change the rules over summer.
First they came for the Prestiges, but I said nothing 'cause I was not a Prestige.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:23 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Our point is that this is an awful decision on AC's part.
Ah yes the all important load factor.

I know how they could make the load 100% every flight - sell J for the same fare as T.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:30 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by jlionw
This was never posted as a benefit to us. And, yes it was nice of AC to provide it to us, but never necessary. Once they gave it to you, you came to expect it, which is not very considerate. If someone gives you a gift or an employer gives you bonus out of the blue, do you come to expect it every year?!?

So if I gave someone a gift for two summers in a row, but decided not to this year, shame on me? You guys (sorry not everyone), really have this odd concept of a GIFT.

I am sorry to be bashing people, but some of you seem to have a sense of entitlement.
It's what Air Canada does best - create expectations that it cannot or will not live up to.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: AC SE
I dunno, I've been upgraded more times this summer than last. Maybe due to less competition for the seats?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hjohnson
I dunno, I've been upgraded more times this summer than last. Maybe due to less competition for the seats?
Yes probably due to an exit strategy to A3 by AE members?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by KenHamer

First they came for the Prestiges, but I said nothing 'cause I was not a Prestige.
A new low.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
My guess- the load factors are already higher due to the 'special' last Dec where Business seats were booked for the same number of points as Economy. I know for one that I booked 2 Business seats to go from YOW out to
BC for family members, where I would have normally booked in Economy.

Plumber

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.