Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

More upgrades to Executive Class for less this summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More upgrades to Executive Class for less this summer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith
For me, the problem hasn't been the number of credits, it's been lack of R inventory. I'm 0 for 4 on upgrade attempts this year. Unless AC releases more R seats, the prospect of fewer credits is a sop.

In other words, I can not score an upgrade for 10 credits, or I can not score an upgrade for 6 credits. Which is better
While that sucks, you have to realize that opening up more R in the situations you are describing would have resulted in a net reduction of revenue. It has been made clear that eUpgrades are supposed to clear ahead of all other 'optional' upgrades (LMU, non-deadhead crew, AE J on Y leg PAX, etc...). So if your upgrade didn't clear then the person in the seat is either a paying J PAX or an eUpgrade with more priority. As all of the non-rev space was already taken up by eUpgrades with more priority than you, opening up more R space would have cost them a paying PAX and that is exactly what Rev Mgmt is suppose to avoid.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by rehoult
While that sucks, you have to realize that opening up more R in the situations you are describing would have resulted in a net reduction of revenue. It has been made clear that eUpgrades are supposed to clear ahead of all other 'optional' upgrades (LMU, non-deadhead crew, AE J on Y leg PAX, etc...). So if your upgrade didn't clear then the person in the seat is either a paying J PAX or an eUpgrade with more priority. As all of the non-rev space was already taken up by eUpgrades with more priority than you, opening up more R space would have cost them a paying PAX and that is exactly what Rev Mgmt is suppose to avoid.
Fair enough. Now, tomorrow morning I'll be flying WS for the second time this year, after ~10 years of exclusively AC. Having E status has diminished to nothing more than marginal value, at least for me. Is AC better off or not
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
This is great, I might use some leftover credits to upgrade YYC-YVR when I go to SFO again at the end of the month.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by rehoult
By the way, the eUpgrade program reminds me of the guy on TV who offers the little girl a pony.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:26 pm

Fair enough. Now, tomorrow morning I'll be flying WS for the second time this year, after ~10 years of exclusively AC. Having E status has diminished to nothing more than marginal value, at least for me. Is AC better off or not
Fair enough point, but its hard to base the R space decision for each individual flight on "how will this affect the future purchase mindset of the specific status PAX who I am denying an u/g?" and much easier to basis it off "how do I maximize revenue on this flight". Not saying that the second method is better, especially if the u/g you deny is a Y/B upgrade, but it is certainly the simpler method to implement.

By the way, the eUpgrade program reminds me of the guy on TV who offers the little girl a pony.
hehe. I love those ads and agree is feels like that some days. Though, I will admit that I've had every u/g request clear this year including 3 trans-cons, 2 TATL and a short-haul. I expect that will end in 10 days as my YYC-YYZ-YYT flights are both J2R0Y1 and that screams that I will be stuck in the back.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by j_the_p
This is interesting, I have a flight on June 24th from YYC to YYZ and I'd like to only spend 6 credits on it...but if I request it now, I'll get charged 10 credits. If I request it starting on June 24th, it's 6. That kind of sucks.
Same here, I have 3 upgrade credits left and my last flight of the year (at least nothing else foreseeable) on the 24th, and it still requires 6 credits. I guess I will have to wait until the day of the flight and keep fingers crossed, otherwise I may end the year with 3 unused credits.

On the other hand I have friend who is P, we may just do an MR to MIA or wherever and burn her upgrade credits, if some decent seat sales come along.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Interesting. I am going YYC-YYZ-DCA in August. My flights show R9 and R5 respectively. So my chances are good to get an UG, although I know its early days and anything can change. It will be my first chance to use some of 45 ecredits burning a hole in my eUpgrade account.
I will be coming back in paid J from Atlanta so the credits will remain.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: AC*SE
Question

So... am I reading this correctly in assuming that therefore Elite's could upgrade a flight on August 31st that flies out as late as September 4th (4 days later), and SuperElite's could upgrade a flight on August 31st that flies out as late as September 7th? I guess the only catch is that if only one segment of a flight is upgraded by August 31st, any upgrade of the second segment after August31st would likely recalculate the eupgrade cost of the entire flight at normal (nonpromo) rates...

Last edited by timriley12; Jun 21, 2011 at 1:16 am
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by j_the_p
This is interesting, I have a flight on June 24th from YYC to YYZ and I'd like to only spend 6 credits on it...but if I request it now, I'll get charged 10 credits. If I request it starting on June 24th, it's 6. That kind of sucks.
Any promotion has to have a start and end date.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:44 am

-deleted-

Last edited by Souvlaki; Jun 21, 2011 at 1:59 am Reason: on second thought...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Too bad they didn't reduce the number of required credits for Y B fares.
Wouldn't most Y and B fares be bought as part of a Latitude pass which get free upgrade already? Also you get first crack at R inventory is purchased more than 7-days out so that's the real benefit of such fares and upgrading.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by timriley12
So... am I reading this correctly in assuming that therefore Elite's could upgrade a flight on August 31st that flies out as late as September 4th (4 days later), and SuperElite's could upgrade a flight on August 31st that flies out as late as September 7th? I guess the only catch is that if only one segment of a flight is upgraded by August 31st, any upgrade of the second segment after August31st would likely recalculate the eupgrade cost of the entire flight at normal (nonpromo) rates...
I suspect this is another AE/AC wording issue. The flights eligible for upgrading can be taken between those dates. However, actual upgrading at these discounted eCredits will be in place at one's upgrade window, so actually 7, 4 and 2 days in advance of the start date. Any flights after the end date will go through at the normal eCredit levels even if upgraded within the last days of the eligible flight dates.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by Souvlaki
Any promotion has to have a start and end date.
Agreed. My point being that they're allowing a discounted credit upgrade starting on the 24th...but you can't request it until the 24th. With paper certs, I could have requested for the 24th at my 7 day window and would have still been able to take advantage of the promo.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I suspect this is another AE/AC wording issue. The flights eligible for upgrading can be taken between those dates. However, actual upgrading at these discounted eCredits will be in place at one's upgrade window, so actually 7, 4 and 2 days in advance of the start date. Any flights after the end date will go through at the normal eCredit levels even if upgraded within the last days of the eligible flight dates.
That might be the case SH, but then...there are different rules for the beginning and end of the promo. I can't upgrade a flight right now for the 24th at the discounted level. I have to wait for the 24th. So one would think that it's the day of request that the promo governs, not the day of the flight. But you're likely right. It's rigged on both ends.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Shareholder
It will be interesting to see if their IT system is sophisticated enough to handle different credit requirements for different dates. I suspect it isn't. If it was, they'd likely have allowed us to start upgrading at the reduced level for flights in the sale period already.

_My_ speculation is that timriley12's interpretation is correct and for SEs the 'sale' will be valid for flights up to the 7th as long as the request is made by the 31st. I think it's just a "feature" of the eUpgrade system and they really don't have a choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.