Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Middle name on ticket but NOT on passport...problem?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle name on ticket but NOT on passport...problem?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
Exclamation Middle name on ticket but NOT on passport...problem?

A search turns up tonnes of threads with people asking whether there will be an issue if a passport has: Firstname Middlename Lastname, but the ticket just has: Firstname Lastname or even Firstnamemiddleinitial Lastname.

But, what if the ticket has: Firstnamemiddlename Lastname, and my passport only has Firstname Lastname.

AP of course says that they can't change anything without cancelling the entire booking (an AP reward with like 10 segs in First and business), charging fees, possibly losing the seats and then rebooking, even though I told the original agent to just put the ticket in Firstname Lastname so it's entirely their fault. Any suggestions / advice / experiences? HELP!

Last edited by YukonYXY; May 14, 2011 at 4:57 pm
Old May 14, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by YukonYXY
A search turns up tonnes of threads with people asking whether there will be an issue if a passport has: Firstname Middlename Lastname, but the ticket just has: Firstname Lastname or even Firstnamemiddleinitial Lastname.

But, what if the ticket has: Firstnamemiddlename Lastname, and my passport only has Firstname Lastname.

AP of course says that they can't change anything without cancelling the entire booking (an AP reward with like 10 segs in First and business), charging fees, possibly losing the seats and then rebooking, even though I told the original agent to just put the ticket in Firstname Lastname so it's entirely their fault. Any suggestions / advice / experiences? HELP!
You won't have any problems.
Old May 15, 2011, 9:35 am

It's happened to me a few times. No problems what-so-ever, you'll be fine.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador & Priority Club Plat, Hhonors Gold, Air Miles Gold
Really? Even if name on tickets is Johnjoseph Smith but passport is just John Smith?

I'm surprised - but I'll take your word for it if you're both sure! Thanks for the replies. If I end up detained in a German immigration holding cell I'll post upon my release

Last edited by YukonYXY; May 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm Reason: typo
Old May 15, 2011, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Here is a true story...

Years ago some friends of mine booked a weekend away for me, kindly inserting a university nickname on the reservation. My booking was for London [insert rude nickname here like dogdick or douchenozzle] Elite.

It was pretty interesting explaining that to the check-in team.

LE
Old May 15, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Having a name Firstname Secondname Thirdname Lastname (never do this to your children btw), my passport used to be very different than my airline tickets and nobody ever mentioned it.

Last passport renewal, I asked the lady at the wicket if she ever heard of people having an issue with it, and she said no but changed my name on my passport. Kind of lessens the security of the passport in my opinion if someone can just change your name to whatever you ask for, but oh well.

Now my tickets are booked Thirdname Secondname Lastname and my passport is Thirdname Lastname only. Still no problems.

Occasionally I use my drivers license, which is Firstinitial Secondinitial Thirdname Lastname, and still no issues.

I honestly think nobody ever looks that closely, at least when I am traveling.
Old May 15, 2011, 1:28 pm

Really? Even if name on tickets is Johnjoseph Smith but passport is just John Smith?

I'm surprised - but I'll take your word for it if you're both sure! Thanks for the replies. If I end up detained in a German immigration holding cell I'll post upon my release
Yeah, while the placement of the middle name is weird, its actually just a system oddity. If you put your middle name or initial on the ticket, it will be added to the end of your first name on the file/BP. So my tickets regularly say RYANE, even though my passport only says RYAN.
Old May 15, 2011, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drwilliams
Having a name Firstname Secondname Thirdname Lastname (never do this to your children btw), my passport used to be very different than my airline tickets and nobody ever mentioned it.

Last passport renewal, I asked the lady at the wicket if she ever heard of people having an issue with it, and she said no but changed my name on my passport. Kind of lessens the security of the passport in my opinion if someone can just change your name to whatever you ask for, but oh well.

Now my tickets are booked Thirdname Secondname Lastname and my passport is Thirdname Lastname only. Still no problems.

Occasionally I use my drivers license, which is Firstinitial Secondinitial Thirdname Lastname, and still no issues.

I honestly think nobody ever looks that closely, at least when I am traveling.
Are you talking international travel? Or just domestic? Or both?
Old May 15, 2011, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by drwilliams

I go by my middle name, and used to have drivers license showing middle name, first initial, last name. When I got my first passport back in the 90's, the woman asked me why it was like that when she compared my D/L to my birth certificate. I told her the story of why my mom wanted me to go by my middle name but liked the flow with that name being my middle instead of first name etc, and how paperwork back then was easier to put my "used" name as first and my unused first initial as middle initial. She said "well, that makes sense to me" and actually swapped my names on the passport because she said it would make it easier on me. Of course, 9-11 came along and I had to go back to being a middle name guy again and all the aggravation that caused with hotel, airline and cruise line programs, where I was registered simply as Dan, not even Daniel, let alone any reference to my first name.

I looked at legally changing my names around, but it involved something like 20 pages of paperwork, a criminal search and a few hundred bucks that I would rather spend on something useful LOL.
Old May 15, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Are you talking international travel? Or just domestic? Or both?
Both international and domestic before and after changing my name on my passport. Never been an issue.
Old May 15, 2011, 5:39 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Some type of kiosk check-in might not work

If you check in at an airline automated kiosk and scan your passport as a means of pulling up the reservation, it will not work.

However, if you use your frequent flyer card, credit card, booking reference, ticket number etc., it will work.
Old May 15, 2011, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I suppose there won't be a problem..

Call the airline and double check to make sure.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:59 pm

Question Same dilemma

If I typed my first, middle and surnames when I purchased tickets but my middle name is not indicated in my UK passport, will this be a problem?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:01 pm

So did you have any issues ?

Originally Posted by starlette
If I typed my first, middle and surnames when I purchased tickets but my middle name is not indicated in my UK passport, will this be a problem?
No problem.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 12, 2017 at 8:25 pm
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Closing old thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.