Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Chances of getting on standby YUL-YVR on Mon 2/May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Chances of getting on standby YUL-YVR on Mon 2/May?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Chances of getting on standby YUL-YVR on Mon 2/May?

I'm actually due to fly out on AC129 at 1955 to YVR that day. However I did not anticipate May 2nd to be Election Day either when I booked my flight in Jan! The YUL stopover is part of my European trip which started in March.

I'm trying to make it back to vote that day. I've checked availability for Sun and Mon and all flights seem to be rather full in coach. So what do you think my chances of getting on an earlier flight on standby for Monday ?

Polls in my riding close at 7pm.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:04 am

YUL-YVR is very full this weekend and into next week. I would say your odds are slim, but you never know - these flights tend to fluctuate a lot with all the connecting traffic. Good luck.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC E
I was going to say, you could vote by special ballot at a returning office in Montréal, but unfortunately looks like you would've had to register by this past Tuesday to do so.

Tell the agent at the airport why you want on an earlier flight, and if you're lucky they might be able to get you some higher priority on a standby list.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klparrot
I was going to say, you could vote by special ballot at a returning office in Montréal, but unfortunately looks like you would've had to register by this past Tuesday to do so....
I couldn't do that.. long story.. as I was in Bergen, Norway and the nearest Canadian embassy was in Oslo. By the time I went to Netherlands and called our embassy at the Hague, I was told it was too late to get all the necessary info for me to vote by last weekend. So I decided to wing it and see if I can get back to YVR earlier than usual.

I'd rather do standby otherwise the change fee is $200 for my ticket.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm just forgoing this flight and have instead, redeemed a oneway business class award to arrive earlier in the afternoon in YVR so that I can rush to VOTE in my riding!
Old May 1, 2011, 3:22 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I'm just forgoing this flight and have instead, redeemed a oneway business class award to arrive earlier in the afternoon in YVR so that I can rush to VOTE in my riding!
Wow. If only everyone took their vote so seriously we might actually have better government.

Since technically there is no standby unless you're on a latitude or executive ticket this is the certainly the safest way to get home in time.
Old May 1, 2011, 4:32 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Or voting in an advance poll would have made more sense
Old May 1, 2011, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I'm actually due to fly out on AC129 at 1955 to YVR that day. However I did not anticipate May 2nd to be Election Day either when I booked my flight in Jan! The YUL stopover is part of my European trip which started in March.

I'm trying to make it back to vote that day. I've checked availability for Sun and Mon and all flights seem to be rather full in coach. So what do you think my chances of getting on an earlier flight on standby for Monday ?

Polls in my riding close at 7pm.
Guy why didn't you just check your CRS....
Old May 2, 2011, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Guy why didn't you just check your CRS....
I did. Everything is full ! But surprisingly a couple of seats in Y and J are available on award!

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
Or voting in an advance poll would have made more sense
And again, I couldn't do advance voting cos I was in Bergen, Norway, where the nearest canadian embassy was in either Oslo or Netherlands..But since I had not been in any place longer than a week, there was no time for the advance voting forms to be sent through!

By the time I got to the one in the Netherlands, I was told that it would be too late to send my forms for advance voting in my riding.

When I left Canada in early March, I didn't know that the present government would collapse !

So, I am casting in my vote today !! Vote wisely people...!

Last edited by Guy Betsy; May 2, 2011 at 6:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.