Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Post here if you are leaving Aeroplan due to new changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum

I'll be cashing in my miles for a trip to Africa (with the reduced requirements) and then switching to AA (SPG transfer to AA with 25% bonus, of course!)
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I try not to make my decisions in an emotional state.

It's hard right now though to not feel disillusioned by these latest enhancements. It really feels like AC (/AE) is trying hard to show us the way out. On a personal basis, rather than a valued, loyal customer I feel like I'm being trodden upon and that my "loyalty" is neither desired nor warranted.

I will be considering my options over the next little while, but once again I feel like I am sadly being pushed firmly and insistently out of the AC family.

The irony is that the hard product (aircraft and interiors) along with onboard service have seen improvements but the loyalty program feels like it's just shot.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Not leaving, but I sure will try to shop hard and redeem for a mini-RTW before the rate hike occurs.

I'm one of those AC*E members that sneaks in at 35001 miles so yeah.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
i won't be leaving yet... maybe when we find out what further erosion they made to the top tier program for 2012 i might, living in Canada you're half forced on fly on AC

however i'll be looking to redeem my remaining miles for a mini-RTW if possible

PS i'm a bottom feeder that gets AC*E for less than $3k in revenue
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
I will likely be cashing out my AP miles and crediting to other * programs. Likely, I will be getting an Avion because of this and switching focus to BAEC.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: A Few
Hard to dump Aeroplan completely when you live in Canada, but I switched to CIBC Aventura Infinite a couple of years ago to stop my points going directly to Aeroplan. I've been happy to take advantage of free first year offers from AMEX on their SPG and Gold Awards cards which also keep my points from going directly to Aeroplan.

I have only been redeeming Asia 1 F awards for the past few years...that was definitely the sweet spot in the award chart. Like the OP I have now put South Africa on my radar screen with the new lower point requirements.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: AC A50K
Trapped on Aeroplan

I do not like these de-valuations, however living in YYJ and mostly traveling to eastern Canada I do not feel I have any options.
I do not fly UA/CO enough to take advantage of UDU, and their domestic lounge access sucks for their flyers.

I wonder if I stick it out long enough, and lots of people leave the program, they might see the error of their ways and offer an increase in perks.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC *P
Most definitely, after this debacle...
Old Apr 15, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
No surprise.

As news of mini-RTW becomes mainstream (and FT'ers happily giving that info to reporters), what else could you expect?

Yes, it's become the next MHD debacle...
Old Apr 15, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
I'm traveling much less in this new job. I could stretch to make Elite, but with the difficulty of booking reward flights these days and devaluation, I'm done with my Amex Aeroplan this year when I burn up the rest of my miles! It was fun while it lasted! All good things must do come to an end!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
There are not that many (if any at all) much better choices to switch to for those living in Canada. However, I believe that it is not the latest 'enhancement' (mileage requirement increase for F/J redemptions) that's causing so much uproar but the charges/surcharges and never ending carrier administrative fees. "Free" ticket is not free anymore when one is asked to cough up hundreds of dollars in... The program is several decades old and has most likely reached its zenith. I decided to 'release the shackles' when the top tier AE 2011 program was enhanced. That means not to get angry and excited when the other shoe drops like it just has. AC is still a very good airline but for me not the only one anymore. I will not pay substantially more just to requalify (for what exactly?) and I will not do MRs just for the sake of the same. Whoever will get me to my destination at the most competitive PRICE, comfort and schedule (do I need to mention safety?) will get the business, most likely in Y. Y seat is a Y seat regardless of airline (+/-) and it will get me to my destination at the same time as those in J or F. Only a 'stupid blonde' believes that one section of the plane flies to Hollywood and the other one to LA. Or, perhaps, even her dream has been shattered recently by all those all around enhancements.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Here we go again

Didn't we just go through this same question with EUpgrades? There are few alternatives for most of us. Maybe UA. If you want to talk about devaluations, have a look at the DL Forum. The game isn't quite as fun as it used to be, but it might mean less competition and thus more availability of Classic rewards. SYD is still probably 550K+$2000 in fees!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Disappointed!

This is no surprise, but it still has made me mad.
This is the first year I make Elite and AC comes out with their great "enhancements".
Then come the increase in fuel surcharges, and the new "premium surcharges"

I have been saving and amassing enough AP for two returns in J to Aus and NZ (I currently have about 270,000), then this happens another "enhancement".

It certainly seems that AC and AP dont have any loyalty to their returning and best customers.

I am looking at my options and alternatives.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by DavidYYC
It certainly seems that AC and AP dont have any loyalty to their returning and best customers.
At least since the onset of the current millenium, I am reasonably convinced that the only loyalty I can solidly lean on is to myself and perhaps my next of kin. Someone said long time ago, and it is worth repeating once in a while: "Do not love things that cannot (or have no intention) to love you back."
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by wwtsang
i won't be leaving yet... maybe when we find out what further erosion they made to the top tier program for 2012 ...
2012's Elite program will have the following enhancements:

1. no luggage tags whatsoever
2. Intercontinental T+ non-M class upgrades >5000 miles will cost 20 ecredits as originally planned
3. MLL usage upon arrival will no longer be permitted
4. a modest but ever-increasing 'upgrade administration surcharge' will be applied to non-Latitude eupgrade transactions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.