Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Are you willing to pay the person in front not to recline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you willing to pay the person in front not to recline?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by PTravel
Whereas my back and, particularly, my neck will hurt if don't recline. Just because you prefer not use the recline doesn't mean that everyone does. And, sorry, it doesn't make me, "not nice," if I do recline -- it's unfortunate if a regular coach seat does provide you with sufficient room, but it's unreasonable to assume that I'll undertake physical discomfort for your benefit when you had other options available to you. You're the one with the special need, and it's your responsibility to accommodate it -- not mine.
GF pointed me to this thread...
It does seem to me PTravel, you sir have the special need!
Just found this post amusing... "I have bad back and neck" what most would classify loosely as having a condition or need, yet you lambaste the poster for having special need!
POT meet KETTLE!!
Carry on!
And yes, we have no social life, and need to get out more!
Old May 24, 2013, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottsam66
GF pointed me to this thread...
It does seem to me PTravel, you sir have the special need!
Just found this post amusing... "I have bad back and neck" what most would classify loosely as having a condition or need, yet you lambaste the poster for having special need!
POT meet KETTLE!!
Carry on!
And yes, we have no social life, and need to get out more!
And, once again, the recline button for my seat is on . . . my armrest! If it was on your armrest, you could decide whether I recline or not. However, it's not.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
And, once again, the recline button for my seat is on . . . my armrest! If it was on your armrest, you could decide whether I recline or not. However, it's not.
I agree with you.

Sometimes, I'm willing to take crappy seats to earn AQM at a rate of 2.7cpm. Except even there I can usually get exit row or bulkhead.

When my comfort actually matters, because I have things to do shortly after landing, I use my eUps. I've also purchased E+ on UA, and LMU on AC.

If the person behind me offered me money to not reclined, I wouldn't mind, but I also wouldn't feel a need to accept it.

I never recline unless I'm on a redeye. But after reading this thread, I'm starting to think I might recline, just so I might make $20
Old May 25, 2013, 8:46 am

Obviously, I'm not going to deliberately squash your knees. However, you misstate my position, which is: if you have a special need, it is up to you to accommodate it, and it is not appropriate to impose on other passengers by interfering with their ability to enjoy the flight. You may not have had anything to do with being born tall, but neither did I, and absent an emergency, there is no reason why I should be disaccommodated because of it. Whether you are tall, obese, flying-phobic, traveling with children, or want to sit next to your partner, it is up to YOU, and not strangers, to ensure that this happens. If you feel the airline has treated you poorly by not accommodating your height, then your argument is with the airline, and not the person seated in front of you. If you can't sit comfortably in a standard coach seat, then you have the same options I do (my neck hurts me unless I recline, and I am slightly flying-phobic, so I need a window seat): you book a seat that will accommodate your need even if it costs you extra, or, if those seats are not available for when you want to travel, you book another flight or another airline. You (and I) do not assume we can simply impose on other passengers to ensure that our purely personal and special needs are met.

I don't know why this is such a difficult concept for so many people. No one has the right to impose on anyone else. Period.
Well said! The argument should be with the airlines. To recline or not is each person's choice and not a sign of whether that person is considerate or inconsiderate. The airlines are creating this tension, because of the increasing tight space being alloted for seating. The joke of it is that passengers are turning on each other, while the airlines walk away planning the next downsized configuration. Don't complain to the passenger in front of you. Instead, write an email to the airline involved, post your comments on their Facebook page, add a line to twitter etc.; try to promote a positive change.
Old May 25, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
I typically try to refrain from reclining which the only times that I do recline is if the person if front of me has reclined and I need the space to work on my laptop or on a redeye. I do feel that it is the right of the person occupying the chair to be able to recline should they so choose. It is absolutely part of the service that they are paying for. Period. I think compensation is an interesting and fair way to approach it if you want the person in front of you to forego their right to recline.

That being said, there needs to be some etiquette when reclining the seat. First and foremost, it is 100% unnecessary to slam that seat back at warp speed. I personally have had THREE laptop screens catch and crack in the last two years. The seat, my friends, will recline all the same regardless of the speed you choose to engage at…
Old May 25, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Seat recline probably tops the list for on board "feuds", and have had to point out on more than one occasion that everybody who's purchased a seat has the right. We can only suggest that during the meal service that seatbacks be raised as a courtesy, and as somebody pointed out, it's how you recline that makes the difference.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Seat recline probably tops the list for on board "feuds", and have had to point out on more than one occasion that everybody who's purchased a seat has the right. We can only suggest that during the meal service that seatbacks be raised as a courtesy, and as somebody pointed out, it's how you recline that makes the difference.
Just curious: Is it SOP to wake sleeping pax who have reclined their chairs when meal service starts? Obviously being woken up isn´t nice, but it´s also harder to eat for the person behind with the chair in front of you reclined...
Old May 25, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
This thread is a trip! The indignity of those who feel that their rights are being trampled (either the person reclining or the person suffering behind them).

The bottom line is that I never recline my own chair in economy if the pitch is tight as a courtesy to the individual behind me (assuming that the seat is occupied). In the event that someone in front of me doesn't have the same manners and the pitch is brutal, I have no qualms about helping them to be considerate (easy enough since my knees are already pressed against the seat in front of me). This is my right just as much as they have a right to recline.

SG
Old May 25, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Just curious: Is it SOP to wake sleeping pax who have reclined their chairs when meal service starts?
Usually it is - The FA will gently tap the person in front of me on the shoulder and ask them to unrecline.

That being said, people aren't usually asleep at that point. On a TATL or TPAC the meal starts not long after takeoff, then the 'snack before landing' is usually once people are done sleeping.

So it's usually...

- Takeoff
- Meal
- Sleep (for those who can)
- Snack
- Land
Old May 25, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Just curious: Is it SOP to wake sleeping pax who have reclined their chairs when meal service starts? Obviously being woken up isn´t nice, but it´s also harder to eat for the person behind with the chair in front of you reclined...
I don't think it's written anywhere, can I take the fifth and say it's circumstantial? For a main meal service during "normal" hours, I would say yes (to waking a customer) if it poses an inconvenience to the person behind. On an extra late departure like SCL or LIM departing at midnight, we try to find that happy balance between those that wish to dine, and those that wish to sleep. It's been my experience that the later the departure, the more understanding and forgiving customers are of each other.

SOP's are non negotiable where safety is concerned, for comfort issues such as this thread, a little bit of flexibility and tact are allowable if required.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by danapop
That being said, there needs to be some etiquette when reclining the seat. First and foremost, it is 100% unnecessary to slam that seat back at warp speed. I personally have had THREE laptop screens catch and crack in the last two years. The seat, my friends, will recline all the same regardless of the speed you choose to engage at…
I've found that sometimes when I try to recline, the seat just drops back on its own. I don't mean to do it that way, but it happens.

Originally Posted by Snow Goose
In the event that someone in front of me doesn't have the same manners and the pitch is brutal, I have no qualms about helping them to be considerate (easy enough since my knees are already pressed against the seat in front of me). This is my right just as much as they have a right to recline.

SG
They have a right to recline. You absolutely do not have a right to kick their seat.
Old May 25, 2013, 1:02 pm
Suspended

The space into which my seat reclines is mine. It does not belong to the passenger behind me though they may think so because there is no hard visible dividing line. Other than my backwards moving seat.

Don't like feeling jammed? Recline your own seat. Or buy J.

Or feel free to pay the person in front to rent their space from them by having them sit straight up.
Old May 25, 2013, 1:09 pm
Suspended

The bottom line is that I never recline my own chair in economy if the pitch is tight as a courtesy to the individual behind me (assuming that the seat is occupied). In the event that someone in front of me doesn't have the same manners and the pitch is brutal, I have no qualms about helping them to be considerate (easy enough since my knees are already pressed against the seat in front of me). This is my right just as much as they have a right to recline.
No, you bought a cheap seat with no space in it. That doesn't give you the option to take away someone else's right to use their equipment because you don't fit into your zone. Recline your own and deal or next time pay a premium for more space with another carrier or higher class.

This is like a fat person at the window spilling into my seat being mad at me for not inserting myself halfway into the aisle. I bought my seat. I will use my seat. I will occupy it from side to side and back to front, I will raise and lower the headrest, I will recline it or sit vertically, this seat is mine.

If it affects you it's my choice about how I want to deal with that. If I choose to have discomfort so you can have comfort, then I'm a nice guy. However, it's not your right to make me suffer so you don't have to by taking away my right to use my equipment.

You can't turn off my reading light because you want to sleep.

You can't turn off my video because the show is not to your taste.

Similarly I can't make a screaming baby be disallowed from J (though I wish I could too).

If someone paid for that equipment, they have a right to use it.
Old May 25, 2013, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Snow Goose
This thread is a trip! The indignity of those who feel that their rights are being trampled (either the person reclining or the person suffering behind them).

SG
What on this planet do you feel gives you the right to knee and kick the back of someones seat? You have the right to recline or to not recline. It is your decision alone. If you choose to NOT recline, do you not have the right to throw a temper-tantrum and kick and knee the seat in front of you when said person chooses to exercise their right to recline.

Yes, having a seat recline into does kinda suck and makes the flight a little more uncomfortable. This is a fact of flying and it will not change. People need to remember that flying is a privilege NOT a God given right....
Old May 25, 2013, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by tyberius
No, you bought a cheap seat with no space in it. That doesn't give you the option to take away someone else's right to use their equipment because you don't fit into your zone. Recline your own and deal or next time pay a premium for more space with another carrier or higher class.

This is like a fat person at the window spilling into my seat being mad at me for not inserting myself halfway into the aisle. I bought my seat. I will use my seat. I will occupy it from side to side and back to front, I will raise and lower the headrest, I will recline it or sit vertically, this seat is mine.

If it affects you it's my choice about how I want to deal with that. If I choose to have discomfort so you can have comfort, then I'm a nice guy. However, it's not your right to make me suffer so you don't have to by taking away my right to use my equipment.

You can't turn off my reading light because you want to sleep.

You can't turn off my video because the show is not to your taste.

Similarly I can't make a screaming baby be disallowed from J (though I wish I could too).

If someone paid for that equipment, they have a right to use it.
+10,000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.