Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Are you willing to pay the person in front not to recline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you willing to pay the person in front not to recline?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:22 pm

Isn't it rather simple? If you need/want more space, pay for it.

Get an exit row seat. Or upgrade to Business/First.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
You are not listening.

It is not about others dictating behavior to you.

It is about you being a decent human being, voluntarily of your own will and choice deciding to be considerate to your fellow human by not reclining if it will cause them pain.

I am not telling you to do the above. I hope you understand some of us do the above because of what kind of people we are. And I think we are happier for it, knowing we make others lives better, not just caring about ourselves.
i'm sure we all agree that not reclining if the person behind you is tall and would be uncomfortable is an act of being considerate

but i'm not sure if the reverse would mean someone is inconsiderate, my personal philosophical viewpoint is that it's not a black or white issue, but with varying shades of grey

i think it's more of a case by case thing, if the person behind me got injured and somehow didn't pay/get put in an exit/bulkhead row, i wouldn't mind not reclining to make sure they have enough room (ideally someone considerate in the exit row/bulkhead would switch with them)

however if you're tall and know that you're going to be uncomfortable sitting behind someone who may not be, in your mind, considerate and willing to not recline, the onus is on you to pay a premium for a bulkhead/exit row, it's their right to recline and not accommodating you shouldn't necessarily mean they're not decent human beings
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by PTravel

If you can't fit in the space allotted, buy more space. You have no right to mine, and I'm not less than a decent human being because I'm reluctant to let you, a total stranger, deprive me of something that I've paid for because you're too cheap or self-involved to solve your own problems without inconveniencing stangers.
Again, that argument doesn't hold water because you reclining takes away from the space I paid for. I can't gain that legroom space back by reclining my own seat.

Anyway, we've more than beat this to death, we won't agree, and you're now throwing your favourite "I know what kind of people you are" line that you like to throw around in Omni, and any of us who see your posts over there know where that leads, so I'm finished here.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
That said, we can always choose to help someone out. It's not an obligation, it should not be expected and it should be recognized in the spirit that it was offered (I would personally be offended by an offer to pay for keeping my seat upright, but I would certainly consider a polite request). Flying would be a hell of a lot nicer if everyone played by those rules...

Exactly ! It applies to so many situations when someone makes a concession (because they can and are willing) but it certainly should not be expected and the person should not be chastised if they don't wish to make that concession.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by DanJ
Again, that argument doesn't hold water because you reclining takes away from the space I paid for. I can't gain that legroom space back by reclining my own seat.
I've never delved into one of these timeless arguments, but on this I have to disagree.

Full disclosure: I'm 6'6" and I always try to get a seat that allows me to be comfortable (almost always exit row in Y).

The space that you've paid for is the space between the maximum recline of the person in front of you and the maximum recline of your own seat. When the person in front of you does not recline, you're technically using that person's paid space. Not your own.

When I'm unfortunate enough to be in Y in a non bulkhead or exit row, I suck it up. I very much appreciate when the person in front of me does not recline, but if they do, I live with it and try to reposition my legs in an attempt to be comfortable. After all, it's their space, not mine. Otherwise, seats wouldn't recline.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DanJ
And that's the point -- you didn't pay for the space. If you had, the button that controls my recline would be on your seat.

Anyway, we've more than beat this to death, we won't agree, and you're now throwing your favourite "I know what kind of people you are" line that you like to throw around in Omni, and any of us who see your posts over there know where that leads, so I'm finished here.
I don't know what you're talking about, but whatever. You might find the ignore feature useful -- I use it quite a lot.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
I can't think of any situation where another passenger would need the space under the seat in front of me. Want maybe...need would be rare though perhaps possible.
As for raising shared armrest, why? Cause they are fat? No. If having the armrest down causes the person next to me pain, one of us is moving to another seat or one of us is not flying on that flight if there are no more seats.
Had that exact issue, woman too large to fit into her seat, and she raised the armrest - it wasn't a case of pain with it down, it physically wouldn't go down. Full flight, no spare seats in any class. 13hours. Of pure hell. I really am not exaggerating when I say she was half in my seat, she was elephant like! There were no other flights out that day, so not flying was not an option (I was with 3 family members too) and they told me there was nothing they could do. I spent most of the flight on a jump seat in the galley.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by emma69
Had that exact issue, woman too large to fit into her seat, and she raised the armrest - it wasn't a case of pain with it down, it physically wouldn't go down. Full flight, no spare seats in any class. 13hours. Of pure hell. I really am not exaggerating when I say she was half in my seat, she was elephant like! There were no other flights out that day, so not flying was not an option (I was with 3 family members too) and they told me there was nothing they could do. I spent most of the flight on a jump seat in the galley.
Isn't such a case a violation of safety rules?

Why did you allow the armrest to go up in the first place. I'd glue it down.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
No offense intended to larger people, but if you're so large that you are seriously imposing on the comfort of those sitting beside you, you really have a duty to buy two seats.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
I would pressed the issue with the lead FA; many/most airlines have a policy that if you do not fit with the armrest down, you need to buy two seats. IMO your seat mate should have been asked by the airline to take another flight (as they did not buy the second seat they were supposed to).

What airline was this?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC *E35, AP Diamond
I am 6'2" and about 200lbs. I have to admit that I am guilty of jamming my knees into the seat in front of me to prevent the other passenger from reclining. I've justified it to myself by never reclining my own seat. I feel bad for the person in front of me, but I've made the person behind me feel a little better so I figure it all balances it out in the end. Don't hate me!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimedog74
I am 6'2" and about 200lbs. I have to admit that I am guilty of jamming my knees into the seat in front of me to prevent the other passenger from reclining. I've justified it to myself by never reclining my own seat. I feel bad for the person in front of me, but I've made the person behind me feel a little better so I figure it all balances it out in the end. Don't hate me!
It doesn't balance out, and, though I don't hate you, I hope you never get me in front of you because I won't put up with it.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I have to agree with PTravel on this one. He says he needs (or perhaps wants, but it doesn't really matter) a seat that reclines and is beside a window. He pays for a ticket that allows him to select such a seat, even if a cheaper fare is available. What he's saying is that anyone with needs (or wants) that can't be satisfied by the standard product sold by the airlines these days, at standard rates, should do as he does: pay a little more to satisfy your needs.

I don't have any special needs myself, and can fit into a Y seat as well (or as badly) as any other average size male. Nevertheless, I do like a bit of extra leg room, and will pay extra for the exit row if it's available. I also like upgrades to b/c, and will sometimes pay extra for upgradeable fares.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by j_the_p

Full disclosure: I'm 6'6" and I always try to get a seat that allows me to be comfortable (almost always exit row in Y).

The space that you've paid for is the space between the maximum recline of the person in front of you and the maximum recline of your own seat. When the person in front of you does not recline, you're technically using that person's paid space. Not your own.

When I'm unfortunate enough to be in Y in a non bulkhead or exit row, I suck it up. I very much appreciate when the person in front of me does not recline, but if they do, I live with it and try to reposition my legs in an attempt to be comfortable. After all, it's their space, not mine. Otherwise, seats wouldn't recline.
You have summed it up perfectly in my opinion.

While not quite as tall as you at only 6'4", I do all I can to find a seat that maximises leg room and ideally does not have a seat in front, or one that does not recline.

I sit in a Y seat fully expecting the person in front to recline when they wish, and am pleasantly surprised when they don't.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
If in Y with a laptop open on my table tray and in a seat that has a reclinable seat in front, I will ask the person in front to warn me before reclining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.