Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2001, 1:46 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Interesting Fare Comparison

The following are full-Y class round-trip fares offered by Air Canada:

Toronto-Kingston,ON CAD$1,797 "Y"
Toronto-Kingston,Jamaica CAD$1,924 "Y"

Just thought it was kind of funny, and sad at the same time... A note however is that there are "Y1" fares for less with almost no restrictions.
Old Mar 31, 2001, 3:16 pm
exAC

A Y1 fare is what you deem to be a full Y fare.

The Y fares are what is used by airlines to settle up on journeys that incorporate two or more carriers. Some years ago AC upped the Y fare so that when interlining with other carriers and then pro-rating the revenue, it was done on a much higher base. The Y1 was then instituted at the old Y fare level for use within AC and with friends. AA/CP/BA started this and it took AC a few years to catch up.

This was the basis for BA's complaint shortly after CP left Oneworld.

Confused???

Old Mar 31, 2001, 7:00 pm

You are not going to get any sympathy from people here. Remember my post few weeks ago arguing the need for commuter flight? The answer I got was essentially Air Canada/Ontario is in the business of making money and people in small communities like Kingston and London should not bother flying, we should just take bus or train. Whatever we say is simply falling into deaf ears as no one knows and cares what it is like to live in small towns until they do it themselves. I gave up trying to talk to these Torontonians, Montrealers, or Vancouverists.

By the way, did you notice student fare by Odyssey travel is increased once again (like at least 3 times since AC takeover) in early March? Flight from YGK to YYZ in student class is close to $200 now! It was around $150 just a few months ago.
Old Mar 31, 2001, 8:50 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

exAC is right, even if you are going to pay full fare Y, then you will only be paying Y1 which is $659 for YYZ/YGK and Y2 fare for YYZ/KIN which is $1736.
Old Mar 31, 2001, 11:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Actually I am a Torontonian myself who has been transplaneted in YGK , and I can see both sides of the story... GX really is a carrier designed to increase revenue at AC mainline services... A large number of GX routes take a loss simply because they add to AC mainline revenue and help put a better RPM stat into the annual report... An example of a seat sale fare:
YYZ-YVR = $369
YGK-X/YYZ-YVR = $389

Also, TravelCUTS fares (AKA Odyssey Travel) fares have increased as follows:
Feb00-Feb01 RT: CAD$99
Feb01-Feb02 RT: CAD129

This is a 30% increase, but I still think that $129 is not a bad price to pay to fly... It is the prefered way to travel, and it is much quicker. I'm not happy about paying more, but I will do it without complaining because afterall, I spend about 1/2 the time that I would on Via Rail!

For Comparison: Via is CAD$76 roundtrip for a student from YGK-YYZ.
Old Apr 1, 2001, 7:06 am

Programs: AA, AC
Actually, IMO, the preferred way to travel such a short distance would be by train. That would be my choice. I find train travel to be much more relaxing and enjoyable than flying. Even for a longer trip, such as YYZ-YOW, I would be tempted to take the train.
Old Apr 1, 2001, 9:32 am

There are many examples of strange fare comparisons. Here's another (in Y class):

LHR-YYZ-LHR $1616
YYZ-MIA-YYZ $1936
LHR-YYZ-MIA-YYZ-LHR $2377
Old Apr 5, 2001, 11:05 pm

Programs: AC MM
MoreMiles can't put up with the slow service offered by the train - he travels on Friday nights for conjugal visits. Soon he'll be wanting that proposed Boeing Sonic Transport on London (ONT) to Kingston, nonstop.
Old Apr 6, 2001, 12:53 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Comeon.. Let's play nice and not start this all over again..
Old Apr 6, 2001, 6:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Nevermind YXU/YGK, bring that Sonic Transport to YHM!
Old Apr 6, 2001, 10:21 am

MaxPower...

To understand people's situation... look at the train schedules.

From London to Kingston,
train departs 7:18 pm gets there at 2:35am.

Now for the opposite direction, from Kingston to London, there is no train available for connection after 2:30pm depature.

Just tell me how is it possible for one to take train between these cities? Bus will take even longer...

Same thing goes for other communities such as Ottawa, Sarnia, Windsor, etc. All reachable by train and bus...

That is, if you plan to spend the whole day (or big part of a day) on it.

So go do your weekly transatlantic flights... because that's the world you live in. You do not understand and should not comment on other people's lifestyle.

Have you consider taking cruise/ferry for your transatlantic trips?.... this is as silly as the remarks you made regarding commuter flights.
Old Apr 7, 2001, 9:49 pm

I must say I agree with MoreMiles. It is not fair to say go take a train. It is impractical and unreasonable. There is no reason flying can't be affordable on these routes. It is possible to fly BUF-JFK for about 100$, with few restrictions. IMO there are few excuses for the fare gouging we are seeing here...
Old Apr 7, 2001, 10:06 pm

I'm reluctant to get drawn into this debate, but correct me if I'm wrong, Fly Boy, but isn't the population of New York (or Buffalo) slightly larger than Kingston or London Ont?

Old Apr 7, 2001, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Ok, then why not compare this:

Lowest AC fare YYZ-YUL CAD$193+tx
Lowest US or WN fare BUF-BWI USD$89.50 w/taxes
Old Apr 8, 2001, 7:02 am

Originally posted by FlyerAl:Lowest AC fare YYZ-YUL CAD$193+tx
Lowest US or WN fare BUF-BWI USD$89.50 w/taxes
I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that airfares are lower in the US than in Canada?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.