Wiki Posts
Search

Which Lounge in Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: air canada
Which Lounge in Hong Kong?

Would appreciate recent advice on which Star Alliance lounge to use in Hong Kong. Also, can you switch lounges? Last time I flew AC out of Hong Kong, I sem to recall staff telling me at one of the lounges that if I picked their lounge, I had to stay there and I could not lounge hop.

I prefer lounges with windows and always appreciate a glass (or two) of bubbly before departing
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by wombat7
Would appreciate recent advice on which Star Alliance lounge to use in Hong Kong.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ght=HKG+lounge

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-question.html
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: CX Gold,DL Gold, AC E, Fairmont Platinum, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Strongly suggest RCC as Thai was small and way overcrowded last week. Didn't have an issue lounge hopping
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA 1K, AC 35K, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
UA for showers, sushi and coffee.

Thai for food, reading material and ice cream.

No issues with walking from one to another, they are on the same level and less than a 30 second walk from each other.

Both views are similar, lots of windows.

I've never found either overly crowded but it does depend on the flight schedules.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There is an SQ lounge but it is back in the main terminal building rather than out on the pier where AC flights gate. Was not overly impressed when I used the F side, don't know what the C/STARGold side is like. When not crowded the Thai lounge is my preference.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by huntk
UA for showers, sushi and coffee.

Thai for food, reading material and ice cream.

No issues with walking from one to another, they are on the same level and less than a 30 second walk from each other.

Both views are similar, lots of windows.

I've never found either overly crowded but it does depend on the flight schedules.
at thanksgiving I got a chef carving Turkey in the UA lounge..

But huntk 100% agree eat in Thai then relax in UA.^
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:37 pm

Will be flying out of HKG in Jan/12 in Business on OZ to ICN & on to ORD.
What access do I have, if any & what suggestions do you have for us?
This is a 00:30 flight.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by glutenhab
Will be flying out of HKG in Jan/12 in Business on OZ to ICN & on to ORD.
What access do I have, if any & what suggestions do you have for us?
This is a 00:30 flight.
I think you are SOL on all three of the *G lounges at that hour. As you are flyiing J with OZ then they may have access to a contract lounge during that period.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by wombat7
Last time I flew AC out of Hong Kong, I sem to recall staff telling me at one of the lounges that if I picked their lounge, I had to stay there and I could not lounge hop.
I've never heard of this.

Personally, I favour the SQ lounge, then the Thai. If you're flying out of HKG on NH, they use all sorts of lounges. One time, it was the Plaza Premium and another, AF. And, I've got to say the AF lounge is very decent. ^
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Braindrain
I've never heard of this.

Personally, I favour the SQ lounge, then the Thai. If you're flying out of HKG on NH, they use all sorts of lounges. One time, it was the Plaza Premium and another, AF. And, I've got to say the AF lounge is very decent. ^
NH was sending their business class passengers to the UA RCC at HKG as of 2 months ago.

*G has the additional choices of SQ and TG lounges.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thai was very comfortable and worked well for me personally
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
how about going early and check out all of them? Last year my flight from HKG to SIN was at 10am, showed up at 630 am and went to all 3...let's see.. there was UA, THAI, and SQ. NH doesnt have one.. it's joint with UA if I remember correctly. UA and THAI are in the same area. The SQ one is very nice and big and has better food than Thai.. But quite far away from the rest of them.. You can lounge hop all you want.. You don't have to stay in one..no such thing..
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:27 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Ichinensei
how about going early and check out all of them? Last year my flight from HKG to SIN was at 10am, showed up at 630 am and went to all 3...let's see.. there was UA, THAI, and SQ. NH doesnt have one.. it's joint with UA if I remember correctly. UA and THAI are in the same area. The SQ one is very nice and big and has better food than Thai.. But quite far away from the rest of them.. You can lounge hop all you want.. You don't have to stay in one..no such thing..
Perhaps things have improved recently in the SQ lounge. Definitely not impressed the last time I was there (over 1 year ago, though). Don't get me wrong. It's still nice, but underwhelming, especially compared to RCC (can't believe I am actually complimenting the RCC!) & TG lounge.

LAX
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
RCC is a nicer lounge and much better showers... Food is better in TG and SQ is to far away and really not as good as the other two lounges.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC MM 50K, Marriott LTT
Always enjoy my visits to the TG lounge although it can get crowded and does not have much decor. The SQ lounge is more spacious with more comfortable seating.

As to food and beverage, probably give the edge to SQ ... but both are fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.