Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Glad we have Calin & Duncan in Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards

After hearing about how NZ CEO Rob Fyfe basically told a Canadian travel journalist that the Quebec market could jump in the river and float away, since NZ was too cheap to register their Coldest Canadian contest with the Regie des Loteries, but still insisted on running the ads in Quebec to deceive residents of their admissibility unless they clicked countless links on their website (where they even posted a false email address to their Privacy Office), it makes me ever so glad that we have two gentlemen of class and distinction, deep faith and honour, as CEO and COO of our national flag carrier.

When Gregg Saretsky was at CP, he owned up to an error in an ad campaign, and fired the ad agency. Calin and Duncan respond to emails, and give an honest answer to customers requests and concerns. They don't make flippant, churlish, sanctimonius remarks, especially in a public forum.

I am a *A loyalist, but after seeing how NZ thinks of our country, they will not be on my list of potential carriers.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
more people need to tell Quebec to jump in the lake and make its rules the same as the rest of Canada.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
NZ

Perhaps Quebec needs to get a kick in the rear...but NOT from an arrogant Kiwi CEO...and where he should be making his point is via lobbying, not by flippant posts on Facebook or telling customers or media who bring it to his attention that they can p**s up a tree and play in the steam. That's the type of customer-be-damned attitude more in line with Ryanair than with a *A affiliate.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by why fly
more people need to tell Quebec to jump in the lake and make its rules the same as the rest of Canada.
Boooo.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this going to turn into a Quebec bashing thread?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:58 am

Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by airbus320

Is this going to turn into a Quebec bashing thread?
No, I think a "why fly" bashing thread is long overdue.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:20 am

Why wouldnt the OP provide a link to the original story?

I am not on expert on this but I recall that a lot of contests are not open to Quebec residents. You can't blame them for that...
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
From what I can tell from reading the NZ forum and my daily read of the NZ Herald, I don't see anything to indicate Fyfe as being arrogant or such.

It appears that he is ill informed of the various laws we have in this country that vary from person to person, race to race and province to province.
Religious headgear wearers exempted from bicycle helmets.
Natives starting their own justice system, gov't etc.
Quebec having laws that differ to Canada on all sorts of matters.
These are just a few examples.

Fyfe's brashness will offend a few, but most will never know about it, and I highly doubt many people will not travel NZ because of Fyfe's brashness and naievete.

OP, if you choose to not travel on NZ because of this, it is your loss. If you are looking to travel to NZ, you would be hard pressed to find a better alternative.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: AE, AA
Even Canadians don't realize the differences which exist from province to province. Whether it's financial regulation, licensing of professionals such as Engineers or Pharmacists, or lottery and gaming...the provinces make the rules. We have more inter-provincial trade barriers than we have international ones. No wonder mistakes are made.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by snace
Why wouldnt the OP provide a link to the original story?
+1

I wouldn't mind reading what his actual quote was and what the context was before rushing to any judgements. Just MHO.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More people need to tell UA apologists to jump in the lake.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having personally met you,I am truly disappointed in your comment
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by dunderhead
After hearing about how NZ CEO Rob Fyfe basically told a Canadian travel journalist that the Quebec market could jump in the river and float away, since NZ was too cheap to register their Coldest Canadian contest with the Regie des Loteries, but still insisted on running the ads in Quebec to deceive residents of their admissibility unless they clicked countless links on their website (where they even posted a false email address to their Privacy Office), it makes me ever so glad that we have two gentlemen of class and distinction, deep faith and honour, as CEO and COO
My fellow Canadians make me laugh some times. Who the heck do we think we are exactly? We are a drop in the bucket on the world scene yet we expect foreign businesses to follow our assenine rules/language garbage etc.
If Fyfe excluded QC for no reason, I would agree with your opinion. But I applaud Fyfe for not jumping through the hoops Canada loves to set up to impede business.
If NZ had to incur $1 added cost to meet whatever BS lottery regulations QC insisted on imposing, I say ^ to Fyfe for telling them to take a long walk off a short plank.
QC and all of our provinces need to wake up . . .

Last edited by CloudsBelow; Feb 26, 2011 at 12:56 pm
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Wink

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
My fellow Canadians make me laugh some times. Who the heck do we think we are exactly? We are a drop in the bucket on the world scene yet we expect foreign businesses to follow our assenine rules/language garbage etc.
If Fyfe excluded QC for no reason, I would agree with your opinion. But I applaud Fyfe for not jumping through the hoops Canada loves to set up to impede business.
If NZ had to incur $1 added cost to meet whatever BS lottery regulations QC insisted on imposing, I say ^ to Fyfe for telling them to take a long walk off a short plank.
QC and all of our provinces need to wake up . . .
Assenine?! Seriously?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.