Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which program to join?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2001, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

which program to join?

I'd like to preface this by saying that I've enjoyed reading all of the information here on this thread. What a bunch of knowledgable people you guys are about the Canadian aviation industry. Hopefully you guys can sway me in the right direction here.

I am planning a trip to St. Petersburg, Russia from Toronto this coming up June. As a grad. student, I am going to deal with TravelCuts for this booking to take advantage of a student fare. Unfortunatly, student fares to Russia have not yet been published or won't be for this summer season. I have enough Aeroplan points for a long-haul flight, so I'm not worried about not collecting those sort of points and I have no status with Air Canada. I know that RootsAir has agreements with KLM and BA, 2 airlines that both serve St. Petersburg through their respective hubs. If I choose to fly either BA or KLM, should I join their FFP's or would it be to my advantage to join Roots Air's? The Roots Air website says that flights on BA are not eligible for status miles. I do travel to Vancouver ever so often if that does matter. So there it is folks.

What do you all suggest?
Old Mar 28, 2001, 4:06 pm

If you intend to do some flying within Canada, Roots Air Mileage Plan *may* be your best bet (you will get miles for BA or KLM and so on). What you need to decide is where you will be flying most, overall in the future (i.e. if into or through Europe a lot, a European carrier might make sense, particularly if you will fly enough to get a higher tier or lounge access)
Old Mar 29, 2001, 8:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
If you are not going to fly regularly, don't worry about status miles.

You need 18000 for AC Prestige, 35000 for Elite. Your trip to St. Pete's will probably earn you a little under 10000. Without some more to bulk that up, you won't have any status flowing from that.

All other things being equal, I would say stick with the program you are in--it doesn't make sense to split your miles between multiple programs unless you earn enough to ensure you use them all.

However, if the fare difference is substantial, then that's probably your best option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.