Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Preferred seat bookable on Aeroplan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preferred seat bookable on Aeroplan?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by yulgirl
What I think is incredible is that we all think it is "normal" that we are forced to book reward seats on-line or else have to pay a fee. Then, after doing all the work ourselves we have to make a phone call to get the seats we would like. I am so fed up with having to complete half the booking on the web and then wasting my time on the phone to complete the reservation/seat selection. It's exactly the same issue with Flight Passes. The AC and AE websites are inadequate and until they are upgraded/fixed to allow us to complete bookings in their entirety I think we should have the choice to use an agent to make reservations without a fee.
Be careful of what you wish for. If their online search engine was that good, most people would be able to book the precious AP seats too easily. I would rather pay AP to book a routing that is only bookable over the phone than not being able to book anything because it's so easy to book online and the seats are all taken. Calling them on the SE line is not that hard to get through. I like the status quo.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by SensFan
No, what I said is not incorrect unless you are referring to November 16 to 19, 2009. AC responded very quickly in reversing their initial announcement, it is a shame that they didn't listen as closely on the e-upgrade issues.
E gets premium but not preferred on an award ticket, since as noted above a free preferred seat requires a latitude fare.

99% of the blame for all the confusion is on the idiot who decided to give almost identical names to two different seat categories.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
No, what I said is not incorrect unless you are referring to November 16 to 19, 2009. AC responded very quickly in reversing their initial announcement, it is a shame that they didn't listen as closely on the e-upgrade issues.

Here is a letter from Ben Smith explaining which seats an Elite can access.
Dear SensFan,

As an Air Canada Elite® member, your satisfaction matters to us. We took your feedback regarding the recent introduction of Preferred seats* very seriously and have made the following changes:

As always, you will continue to enjoy complimentary Priority Seat Selection, which includes bulkhead seats and select rows in the front of the Economy Class cabin as one of your existing Elite Privileges. Until this service is available online, you can reserve your bulkhead seats by calling us at the numbers listed in your Elite Priority Contacts.

In addition, you will have complimentary access to more seats with additional legroom in Economy Class, referred to as Preferred seats, with the purchase of a Latitude fare ticket. These coveted seats, such as the ones located in exit rows, are also available to all Air Canada and Jazz® customers for a variable fee.We remain open to your comments and are always working to meet your highest expectations.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Smith
Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer
Air Canada

So Elites have to PAY for PREFERRED SEATS unless they have a Latitude fare!!! Now I know why the AC reserv agents are so confused when you call and request the bulheads.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:48 pm

Oi, this is confusing.

Can we all agree on one point - E get free access to bulkhead seats.

Next step - Preferred seats consist of bulkhead seats and emergency exit seats (http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/c...tangoplus.html).

Now back to my original statement - E get free access to non-exit row preferred seats.

Would everyone be happy if I changed that to E get free access to bulkhead seats? That was the point that I was trying to make because it was left off FFYYZ's listing.

Now for the real test - If some Wicks are Slicks and some Slicks are Snicks are some Wicks are definitely Snicks?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:01 pm

Oi, this is confusing.

Can we all agree on one point - E get free access to bulkhead seats.

Next step - Preferred seats consist of bulkhead seats and emergency exit seats (http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/c...tangoplus.html).

Now back to my original statement - E get free access to non-exit row preferred seats.

Would everyone be happy if I changed that to E get free access to bulkhead seats? That was the point that I was trying to make because it was left off FFYYZ's listing.

Now for the real test - If some Wicks are Slicks and some Slicks are Snicks are some Wicks are definitely Snicks?
Close but no cigar. Unfortunately, E only gets free access to preferred (bulkhead/exit row) seats on a Latitude fare. If an E books a seat on points or T+ they need to pay extra. The E, however, does get first crack at the premium seats (first few rows excluding exit/bulkheads). Exit rows and bulkheads are both preferred seats - there is no distinction re: access.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: AC 100KSE
Es get free bulkheads on tango+

I am E and I always phone AC after my booking is made and get the bulkhead for free. Pretty sure I have done it for reward tickets as well. I always fly tango+ (always! even to India...feel for me). TA can't do it, I need to phone. Never had an argument from AC reservations.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by yyj9
I am E and I always phone AC after my booking is made and get the bulkhead for free. Pretty sure I have done it for reward tickets as well. I always fly tango+ (always! even to India...feel for me). TA can't do it, I need to phone. Never had an argument from AC reservations.
Interesting - according to the AC website they should be charging you for the bulkhead ($100 for the India leg alone):

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...rredseats.html

Preferred seat selection is complimentary for

* Air Canada Super Elite members – with a Tango Plus or Latitude fare;
* Air Canada Elite members and Star Alliance Gold members with other airlines - with a Latitude fare.

If you're an Air Canada Super Elite or Elite member, or a Star Alliance Gold member with another airline, and you are eligible for complimentary Preferred seat selection, your travel companion(s) also enjoy complimentary Preferred seat selection provided you are all under the same booking reference.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC 100KSE
RE-read Sensfan's post with the email.
"As always, you will continue to enjoy complimentary Priority Seat Selection, which includes bulkhead seats and select rows in the front of the Economy Class cabin"
In this situation they include bulkheads in priority seating. I think they took it away for elites and after an outcry, gave back the bulkheads. It is not advertised anywhere that I have been able to find.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by yyj9
+1 As an E, I got the bulkhead seat every time its was available in 2011 and have an upcoming flight on bulkhead for free. Just a simple call to Air Canada or Aeroplan after confirming my T+ or Aeroplan reservation, respectively.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
Close but no cigar. Unfortunately, E only gets free access to preferred (bulkhead/exit row) seats on a Latitude fare. If an E books a seat on points or T+ they need to pay extra. The E, however, does get first crack at the premium seats (first few rows excluding exit/bulkheads). Exit rows and bulkheads are both preferred seats - there is no distinction re: access.
Yes, there is a distinction. Es get bulkhead but not exit row on T+. Sorry - you are incorrect.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by YYZ_TVGuy
Yes, there is a distinction. Es get bulkhead but not exit row on T+. Sorry - you are incorrect.
Ok - I stand corrected. In my defence I can't find any reference to bulkhead access other than in the email you referenced. To call this policy poorly-communicated would be an understatement...

Edit - just called and got my seats moved up into bulkheads. Thanks for being correct!

Last edited by FrequentFlyerYYZ; Feb 8, 2011 at 10:38 pm
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Just called in to the Elite AP number and the agent said they were unable to book me the exit row ( row 35 on a 333) but was able to book me row 19, the second row in Y in a 333. It's the biggest pitch in Y, so it will have to do.
Beats 48A with a 31" pitch!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I just has an interesting experience with this issue.
I booked an aeroplan classic reward for my mother online and called in to get a preferred seat.
The agent said I can have the bulkhead for free but I would have to pay for the exit row because Tango and reward tickets are not eligible for complimentary exit rows.
I asked him to double check because I have done so in the past and he asked me to hold. After about 20 minutes on hold, he came back and said that he had to dig up so rules and he is able to get me the exit row for free.
After the call, I checked on AC.com and found the following:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...seats_faq.html

Preferred seats for Aeroplan flight rewards are complimentary for Air Canada Super Elite members and charges apply for all other customers.
A little more reading on the site and I find this:

Preferred seat selection is complimentary if you are:
    So no I am really wondering:
    1. Can a SE reserve an exit row on an award seat?
    2. Can a SE reserve an exit row on a Tango fare?

I would think no to the Tango fare but the award seat really seems to have conflicting information out there.

PS. On a side note, I don't think the agent realized the booking was for my mother as we have the same last name. I would think if he knew it was not for me he would not have assigned the exit row so don't infer from here for family members as well.
    Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:22 am

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
    i interpret that as they'll charge an SE unless you point it out, it's arguable whether it extends to flights SE members redeem for others, but based on how there have been numerous reports when Es and SEs redeem rewards for family their AC status shows up on the BP it should be waived

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.