Wiki Posts
Search

Interlining AC to BA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan
Interlining AC to BA

I know the interlining question has been discussed before, and I THINK AC's policy has changed, but could someone definitively state whether or not I can through-check my bags on a booking of two separate tickets:

YHZ-LHR AC; LHR-FCO BA

Also, if the answer is Yes, do I have to pick up my bags at all for passport control at LHR? Many thanks.

Last edited by yhzflyer; Feb 6, 2011 at 7:13 pm
Old Feb 6, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold; AE; AA Platinum; Club Carlson Gold; SPG Gold; HHonorsGold, Accor Platinum
I have the similar query - and the travel agent who booked the ticket couldn't say for sure .....

DXB-YVR with BA DXB-LHR and AC LHR-YVR. Will BA tag my bag right through to YVR so I don't have to re-check it at LHR?

Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: CA *G | UA *S | Marriott Ti | GHA Black
I'm not sure either. But last time when I travel from PVG to YYZ via HKG, the Cathay Pacific agent in PVG did ask me if I want to check my bag all the way to YYZ although HKG-YYZ is operated by AC and it is on separate ticket.

My friend traveled from PEK to YYZ via HKG told me the same story, the Air China agent in PEK asked him if he wanted his bag checked to YYZ. It makes sense for CA to do that as AC/CA are both *A members, but I don't see why Cathay Pacific could do that..
Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by yvrluver
I have the similar query - and the travel agent who booked the ticket couldn't say for sure .....

DXB-YVR with BA DXB-LHR and AC LHR-YVR. Will BA tag my bag right through to YVR so I don't have to re-check it at LHR?

Thanks!
That will be dependant on BA's policy, I suggest you post in the BA forum.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC has interline agreement with BA. But don't bet that they'll definitely tag your bags to FCO on separate tickets. Last month we traveled on separate tickets AC YYZ-YVR & CX YVR-HKG connecting on the same day. AC in YYZ refused to tag our bags to HKG despite the fact that AC has interline agreements with CX.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, Nexus
Should be no problem. Did yyj-yvr-lhr on AC and lhr-fco on BA last June. Bags tagged all the way thru. By and by my bag did not make fco, but this was due to a late arrival in lhr. My traveling companion's bag did make it.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by eXterkTi
I'm not sure either. But last time when I travel from PVG to YYZ via HKG, the Cathay Pacific agent in PVG did ask me if I want to check my bag all the way to YYZ although HKG-YYZ is operated by AC and it is on separate ticket.

My friend traveled from PEK to YYZ via HKG told me the same story, the Air China agent in PEK asked him if he wanted his bag checked to YYZ. It makes sense for CA to do that as AC/CA are both *A members, but I don't see why Cathay Pacific could do that..

CX will tag bags to any airline it has interline agreement with as long as you show proof of onward journey. It has nothing to do with AC's policy.

From PEK, same thing, CA will tag onwards to any carrier.

It really has nothing to do with being *A or not.

Originally Posted by yvrluver

Thanks!
Then what good is your travel agent if he/she doesn't know?

BA will NOT tag your bag through to YVR if you're on seperate tickets. That is for certain... as its BA's policy. Not AC's. You will have to go through immigration, retrieve your bags at LHR T5, then take the Heathrow Express to Terminal 3, and recheck in with AC there. Give yourself at least 3 hours in between flights !

If you are on one ticket one reservation, BA should be able to tag your bags all the way through to YVR. You just need to go to the Flight Connections Centre and collect your onward AC boarding pass. This you only need about 2 hours for connecting.

When returning expect the situation as above...

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Feb 7, 2011 at 12:09 am
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:51 am

Programs: AC Elite, AA Advantage, BA
BA-AC Interlining

I've had the same experience as Guy Betsy. BA will not check my bags straight through from GVA to YVR on 2 separate tickets. And, for that matter, they sometimes balk on doing it when it is on the same ticket. So basically that's why I gave up doing this route on AC/BA (which would have been my preference). Instead I do it YVR-YUL-GVA, which is not my preference but at least I don't have to deal with the bags and changing terminals at Heathrow. And, IMHO, Heathrow is something to be avoided at all costs unless one can stay in Terminal 5 and not go elsewhere.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by cinycat
I've had the same experience as Guy Betsy. BA will not check my bags straight through from GVA to YVR on 2 separate tickets. And, for that matter, they sometimes balk on doing it when it is on the same ticket. So basically that's why I gave up doing this route on AC/BA (which would have been my preference). Instead I do it YVR-YUL-GVA, which is not my preference but at least I don't have to deal with the bags and changing terminals at Heathrow. And, IMHO, Heathrow is something to be avoided at all costs unless one can stay in Terminal 5 and not go elsewhere.
For YVR-GVA, there are two other options you could consider: GVA-FRA-YVR on Lufthansa, or GVA-LHR on Swiss followed by LHR-YVR on AC as before.

Swiss will happily check your bags through, regardless of whether the itinerary is on one ticket or separate tickets.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Interesting comments, but most of them deal with BA not checking bags through to AC. My specific issue is whether AC will check them through to BA at LHR (two separate tickets) and if so, do I need to see them at all at LHR (i.e. for passport control)É
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by yhzflyer
Interesting comments, but most of them deal with BA not checking bags through to AC. My specific issue is whether AC will check them through to BA at LHR (two separate tickets) and if so, do I need to see them at all at LHR (i.e. for passport control)É
Oh, sorry about that.

I have no experience whether AC will check the bags through, but I can tell you about LHR.

Assuming AC does check the bags through, you will not see them at all at LHR. They will be automatically transferred to your onward flight to Rome.

You will also not have to go through UK immigration as you are transiting internationally and can do so without going landside. A full explanation of the process is given here (already personalised for arrival at Terminal 3 (AC) and departure from Terminal 5 (nearly all BA departures, including FCO) ):

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/

One thing to keep in mind if you check the bags through - make sure to show the BA agent at the transfer desk the baggage claim stubs you got from AC. They need to enter your baggage information in their system, as this does not happen automatically on separate bookings.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: aeroplan AC*SE
Originally Posted by yhzflyer
I know the interlining question has been discussed before, and I THINK AC's policy has changed, but could someone definitively state whether or not I can through-check my bags on a booking of two separate tickets:

YHZ-LHR AC; LHR-FCO BA

Also, if the answer is Yes, do I have to pick up my bags at all for passport control at LHR? Many thanks.

I have had no problem having bags tagged all the way through from AC to BA, even when on separate tickets. You do need to make sure the bags are put into the BA system however at Heathrow. However, I usually have issues coming home. Sometimes BA will tag my bags all the way back to YYZ and sometimes they make me claim them at heathrow and re check in with AC
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks alex and gater. Appreciate the information.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by gater
I have had no problem having bags tagged all the way through from AC to BA, even when on separate tickets. You do need to make sure the bags are put into the BA system however at Heathrow. However, I usually have issues coming home. Sometimes BA will tag my bags all the way back to YYZ and sometimes they make me claim them at heathrow and re check in with AC
I know that AC's policies regarding baggage can change at a drop of a hat...so am wondering if it has indeed changed at all...

Me have:

Ticket 1 : AC , Tango , YVR-YYC
Ticket 2 : AC , Economy award, YYC-LHR
Ticket 3 : KL , Business award, LHR- AMS

Will AC check through to AMS? I might just check in seperately at YYC so as to be sure.. As *A, I get to take 3 pieces or 2 ?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I know that AC's policies regarding baggage can change at a drop of a hat...so am wondering if it has indeed changed at all...

Me have:

Ticket 1 : AC , Tango , YVR-YYC
Ticket 2 : AC , Economy award, YYC-LHR
Ticket 3 : KL , Business award, LHR- AMS

Will AC check through to AMS? I might just check in seperately at YYC so as to be sure.. As *A, I get to take 3 pieces or 2 ?
As per this post by AY a few years ago, AC will check through bags on separate tickets. AFAIK there hasn't been anything to the contrary since then (other than the odd agent who wasn't aware of the rule change).

I assume you mean you're *G. You should be entitled to 3 bags (being on a KL business award LHR-AMS would not get you additional bags).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.