Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Infant Fare - 10% of my ticket, or 10% of full Y price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum

I'm looking at a trip to Asia on AC vs. CA but have an infant fare to consider. I just flew AC last week and happened to ask an FA (and confirmed on the AC website) that international infant fare is 10% of adult fare. I looked at CA and it is considerably cheaper for the route ($930 vs AC's $1100) but I called the Vancouver CA office to check and they priced out the dates and tell me the infant fare is $400. Apparently it is based on 10% of full Y fare, not 10% of my S class booking.

Has anyone had experience with an infant ticket for an international trip on AC (or CA, or any other airline)? If this is the case with CA but not AC then AC becomes comparable in terms of price and is obviously my preferred choice.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
Looking back at my receipt from YYZ-BGI we paid $45 to issue the infant ticket, this was ~ 10% of the fare that the adult ticket was. We bought cheap T+ tickets.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by pkeung
I'm looking at a trip to Asia on AC vs. CA but have an infant fare to consider. I just flew AC last week and happened to ask an FA (and confirmed on the AC website) that international infant fare is 10% of adult fare. I looked at CA and it is considerably cheaper for the route ($930 vs AC's $1100) but I called the Vancouver CA office to check and they priced out the dates and tell me the infant fare is $400. Apparently it is based on 10% of full Y fare, not 10% of my S class booking.

Has anyone had experience with an infant ticket for an international trip on AC (or CA, or any other airline)? If this is the case with CA but not AC then AC becomes comparable in terms of price and is obviously my preferred choice.
Whenever I've done this it has been about 10% when flying internationally (on AC and US Air). I recently booked AP tickets to Italy and purchased one for the same flight (not enough miles). I was told that normally I'd pay 10%, but this time it was more like 5%.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:04 pm
alc

The following are my tickets that I purchased in Dec 2007 for a trip in Apr 2008. Hope they help.

Passenger #1 (Adult)
Fare Amount in Canadian dollars (including Navcan & Surcharges)
$299.00
Taxes & Fees
$17.00 - Canada Security Charge (CA)
$158.00 - Carrier Admin. Service Charge (YQ)
$71.60 - Combined Taxes *see fare calculation below (XT)

Total Fare in Canadian dollars: 545.60

Passenger #2 (Infant)
Fare Amount in Canadian dollars (including Navcan & Surcharges)
$30.00
Taxes & Fees
$1.20 - Canada Goods and Services Tax (GST/HST #10009-2287) (XG)*
$20.00 - Canada Airport Improvement Fee (SQ)$71.60 - Combined Taxes

Total Fare in Canadian dollars: 51.20

*Fare calculation:
24APR08YTO AC PAR R161.27AC YTO R161.27NUC322.54 END
ROE0.926970 XT1.20XG20.00SQ19.92QX5.90IZ24.58FR
24APR08YTO AC PAR R16.12AC YTO R16.12NUC32.24 END ROE0.926970
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
I'm not sure if this is still possible (it was a long time ago) but I used to get full miles for my kids on infant and child fares, it helped subsidize the tickets as I paid 10% but used the resulting points for an adult award, in effect getting 10x the reward as the adults for equivalent cost. It may be worth looking at various FF programs for this benefit if you fly with them much. Also, some programs (ANA and BA) but not Aeroplan, allow you to pool points in a family account.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:13 pm
alc

Originally Posted by folkart
I'm not sure if this is still possible (it was a long time ago) but I used to get full miles for my kids on infant and child fares, it helped subsidize the tickets as I paid 10% but used the resulting points for an adult award, in effect getting 10x the reward as the adults for equivalent cost. It may be worth looking at various FF programs for this benefit if you fly with them much. Also, some programs (ANA and BA) but not Aeroplan, allow you to pool points in a family account.
From my experience in the recent years, Infant (10%/Free) do not get any miles, Child Fare (75%/Full) do get full miles like the Adult Fare does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.