Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Skipping Last leg of International Flight, still accrue miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Skipping Last leg of International Flight, still accrue miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold
Skipping Last leg of International Flight, still accrue miles?

Hi guys,
I'm new here.

I'm looking at flying to Italy from the US because Canadian airfares are expensive.

So, I found an itinerary that has all Star Alliance fleet, and I have Aeroplan membership.

On return, the flight lands in YVR and then ends at destination SEA. If I get off at YVR and don't fly all the way to SEA, will I still accrue miles?

What is the graceful way to do this with the airline companies?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:49 am

You will receive miles for the segments actually flown. The skipped segment will not accrue miles.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:01 am

Don't do this if you're checking bags. In YVR, you will not be physically reunited with your bags when connecting to the US.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: AC/AP-Elite, *G, HH-G
Originally Posted by skofz
Don't do this if you're checking bags. In YVR, you will not be physically reunited with your bags when connecting to the US.
It is true you won't accrue miles. As for not being able to have checked luggage, you should be able to check your bags through to YVR (or any leg you choose).

I have a career that involves a lot of last second changes, which means that I sometimes change destinations while on layover and have gotten in the habit of checking my bags through only to where I have a major layover if there is a possibility of my travel plans changing.

It sometimes takes some convincing at check-in, but I have never had major issues doing this. Just be nice to the staff at check-in, of course.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TriumphS3
As for not being able to have checked luggage, you should be able to check your bags through to YVR (or any leg you choose).
That is true. I've never experienced not being able to short-check my luggages with any airlines. And among those that I have heard who weren't able to couldn't do so as a result of an inflexible and/or inexperienced ground agent.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Even if you do check in for your flight, ie you have a boarding pass, but you don't show up for the flight itself, you will NOT get the miles. You need to pass through that final boarding pass check before you're clear to receive the miles.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Is this a return ticket? If it is, your plan won't work as your return flights to Italy will be cancelled.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:00 am
alc

Originally Posted by skofz
If YVR is the first Canadian city that the traveller enter to Canada, doesn't the traveller need to go thru custom, collect all the bags, and re-drop them off for US connection?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by alc
If YVR is the first Canadian city that the traveller enter to Canada, doesn't the traveller need to go thru custom, collect all the bags, and re-drop them off for US connection?
At YVR bags are transferred automatically to the US flight, but a photo is taken of each bag. The pax proceeds off the international flight but by-passes Canadian immigration/customs to go through security and then into a waiting room where their boarding pass and baggage stubs are confirmed and matched with the photo of the checked bag(s). Pax then proceeds through US pre clearance. Pax never physically comes in contact with the bag(s).
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
Is this a return ticket? If it is, your plan won't work as your return flights to Italy will be cancelled.
I think the OP is flying to Italy from SEA, not the other way around.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
its a hassle but if you tell them you are not going to go SEA they can get your bags.. if you did check your bags Italy-YVR-SEA
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TriumphS3
As for not being able to have checked luggage, you should be able to check your bags through to YVR (or any leg you choose).
This is probably a dangerous assumption to use. Not sure about AC, but US-airlines are wising up to the fact people are using hidden city ticketing to avoid paying higher fares. Part of cracking down on this is that requesting to have your bags short-checked is often denied. A super-long connection, or getting lucky with an agent might allow that. On UA, especially, assume that an agent will not do this.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your such quick responses!

My routing is SEA->ORD->ZRH->MXP->LHR->YVR->SEA
And essentially, I might be checking in luggage due to the need of warmer spring clothes.

@Shareholder, thanks for your clarification on the YVR-US connection procedures, I wasn't sure and thought it was as easy as checking it in and then getting it from the claim.

One more question for you guys,
If my return trip from Milan is with first w/ Lufthansa than Air Canada, do I check my bags in with Lufthansa all the way to "SEA"? Are they who I need to ask, nicely and with a smile, to check my bags to YVR?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

@Rejuvenated and TriumphS3

Out of curiosity, as I notice you guys are high flyers, is it possible the ability to short-check luggage is part of the service provided by the airlines to people in your preferred status?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Book as long a delay as possible before the ticket on to Seattle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.