Wiki Posts
Search

Priority luggage at PEK weirdness?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Priority luggage at PEK weirdness?

Not a biggie, but weird...has anyone else experienced this? Or know why?

Flew PEK-YYZ-YOW in J. While normally I only have carryons, this time we had checked luggage. Red priority luggage red tags affixed at check-in in PEK. However, luggage arrived in YYZ with the priority luggage tags carefully removed. No harm done except standing a few minutes more at the belt, followed by a madder rush to catch the connecting flight than befits an esteemed priority customer - but am curious why someone made the effort. A baggage handler with communist egalitarian sensitivities? A ramp employee with a fetish for red priority tags that he posts like trophies on the wall?

If it was one bag of 3, I'd think nothing of it. But in this case, someone went to the effort to pry open the taped up part of the luggage tag to take out the red dart on 2 bags, and had snipped off the red part on the 3rd so that the part glued between the luggage tag white bits remained.

Last edited by montrealer; Dec 21, 2010 at 11:15 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Isn't it obvious???

AC has somehow infiltrated the Ironclad security of Flyertalk and put a real name to your Forum Tagname.

They then conspired, in an elaborate plan fit for only conspiracy movies starring George Clooney, to remove your priority luggage tags and stick to to a TOP Tier Member as a warning to the rest of us who complain about the new Devalued Top Tier Program.

Let this be a warning to all of us, AC means business!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA MP
You used Google instead of Baidu while you were there, didn't you? This is your payback.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: *G
It happened to me a few years ago YYZ-YVR - the priority tags on two bags had been neatly removed (ie, not accidental handling damage), and I always assumed it was the handlers' way of avoiding any complaints about late delivery of such bags. But since non priority delivery of bags is more normal than otherwise, I'm not sure why they bothered.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:39 pm

You were involved with wikileaks?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would you think this happened at PEK?

My best guess would be YYZ.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:15 am

Programs: AC*SE, Lifetime Bonvoy PP, Hilton D, National EE, Avis First
Originally Posted by fin 645
It happened to me a few years ago YYZ-YVR - the priority tags on two bags had been neatly removed (ie, not accidental handling damage), and I always assumed it was the handlers' way of avoiding any complaints about late delivery of such bags. But since non priority delivery of bags is more normal than otherwise, I'm not sure why they bothered.
i dont understand how they could be 'carefully' removed... if done correctly they are sandwiched between the adhesive stripes.

the only thing i can think of is the bag tags being reprinted and applied to your bag without the priority tags. this may be due to a damaged tag in the baggage handling area, or unreadable barcode, ect. baggage handlers are not going to take the time to put a priority tag back on your bag...
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
Obviously you must have done something to piss off the communist elite (sic) and were targetted for a serious bit of humiliation.
Weird or what?
Seriously, it is weird... hummm
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by NAJetSet
i dont understand how they could be 'carefully' removed... if done correctly they are sandwiched between the adhesive stripes.

the only thing i can think of is the bag tags being reprinted and applied to your bag without the priority tags. this may be due to a damaged tag in the baggage handling area, or unreadable barcode, ect. baggage handlers are not going to take the time to put a priority tag back on your bag...
No, the piece "sandwiched" between the strips was still there, but the exposed portion was neatly "cut" off. Identically on two bags. No accident.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:21 am

had this happen on yhz-yyz-lax bags arrived 2 days late with the priority tags neatly cut off so the only part that was left was hidden under the white tags. I figured it was just typical yyz crap.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:25 pm

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by montrealer
in this case, someone went to the effort to pry open the taped up part of the luggage tag to take out the red dart on 2 bags, and had snipped off the red part on the 3rd so that the part glued between the luggage tag white bits remained.
Pretty pathetic, but this could be the answer...
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by blue2002
What the?

That wouldn't even work because the Check In Agents manually put them on themselves!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: Just a kettle now :)
Originally Posted by blue2002
This is the funniest thing I've seen all day. Do people actually *pay* for these? After doing a search for "completed auctions", the answer seems to be "no".

-RS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.