Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Weather forces cancellation of several Air Canada London flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather forces cancellation of several Air Canada London flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
The way Londoners function in the white stuff is more or less equal to how Vancouverities do so during the same condition.
Two years ago at this time was the Big Dump at YVR and the ensung chaos. Two of the significant contributing factors (other than the obvious) were: 1. limited capacity on the deicing stand; 2. ~four different deicing contractors serving various airlines with little or no coordination among them.

Since that time the following has happened: 1. YVR has doubled the capacity of the deicing stand (happened in '09 because they didn't want to be embarassed if the same thing happened during the Olympics); and 2. they have gone to a single deicing contractor with centralized control. "Reliable sources" say things will be much better, however the new system hasn't been tested yet. Let's hope for the best. In the end, it all depends on whose ox is being gored.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:10 pm

The new system at YVR has had a few "tests." There were a few days of snow in november. Nov. 25 was one of those days with significant delays.
The "new" deicing company at YVR is Aeromag. They are the same people that handle deicing at YUL. I believe YYZ as well.

Aeromag is not perfect and it will be a few years before everyone is up to speed in YVR. Nonetheless things have improved here.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by airbus320
424 (Tiger) Squadron is a Search and Rescue/Transport Squadron working out of #9 Hangar at 8 Wing/CFB Trenton. To fulfil its roles, 424 Squadron flies the CH-146 Griffon helicopter and the Lockheed CC-130 Hercules.
I only knew about their C130s, learn something new everyday. Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:36 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Well, AC869 left for YYZ (only an hour late) so I'm hopeful that our noon flight will leave on time. Bit of a zoo outside of Terminal 3 when we arrived, they're only letting folks inside who are on operating flights. But despite that, it was only about 10 min to get checked in, drop bags, go through security, and pour myself a coffee in the lounge. There's nowhere near a full schedule today so things are pretty quiet here.

I hope they've managed to defrost our plane after it has sat on the tarmac for a couple of days!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G
Heathrow conditions continue to limit Air Canada flights to London

Consult Air Canada website for flight status before going to airport
Change and cancellation fees waived for affected customers
Further updates coming on flights to London today

MONTREAL, Dec. 20, 2010 - Air Canada advises that the continuing effects of severe winter conditions in England are strictly limiting its operations to and from London and passengers are urged to consult the company website www.aircanada.com for flight schedule updates before travelling or going to the airport.

"Air Canada is only able to operate one-third of its normal schedule due to restrictions at London Heathrow, meaning we initially are allowed only a combination of six take-offs and landings today. We will be using those flights primarily to return aircraft to Canada from London as well as moving to London one aircraft and passengers earlier diverted to Dublin. We recognize the inconvience this situation is causing passengers anxious to travel and we are taking all measures to ensure customers travel safely to their destinations as soon as possible. However our ability to increase capacity is very limited due to slot constraints at Heathrow and the fact our flights are already fully booked for the holiday season. Customers and others going to the airport should consult our website for the latest information as conditions at the London airport are continually changing and we will be updating it through the day," said Duncan Dee, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer.

Due to restrictions at London Heathrow, Air Canada currently plans to operate five departures from London on Monday, December 20, including two to Toronto and one each to Halifax, Calgary and Vancouver and there will be one flight in during the day from Dublin. Air Canada is currently awaiting information from Heathrow before determining which flights from Canada will operate to London in the evening of December 20. Winter weather is also affecting other European stations, notably Paris, where airport conditions are imposing lengthy delays or cancellations on carriers. Air Canada asks passengers to postpone non-essential travel and is waiving change and cancellation fees for those who wish to reschedule on affected routes.

Customers with confirmed tickets to flights to or from affected areas are advised to check on the status of their flight prior to leaving for the airport by consulting the Air Canada website at aircanada.com, or by calling Air Canada's automated flight information system at 1-888-422-7533, or by using a web-enhanced cell phone.

In order to facilitate changes to travel plans, Air Canada has revised its ticketing policy for customers booked on flights that are subject to cancellation. Those customers wishing to make alternate travel arrangements can do so without penalty, space permitting, by contacting Air Canada Reservations toll free in Canada and the U.S. at 888-247-2262; TTY: 1-800-361-8071 or Air Canada Reservations worldwide. Due to increased call centre volume, wait times are longer than usual. Customers inquiring about travel to or from London are asked NOT to call the call centre but should instead use www.aircanada.com
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:58 am

OT: Delays/Cancellation for YYZ today!

According to the Toronto Star

Pearson Airport has announced numerous flight delays and cancellations.

Cancellations include outgoing flights to Montreal, London, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Dayton, Allentown, Providence, New York, Ohio, Ottawa, Detroit, Cleveland, Boston and Calgary.

For more details visit: www.gtaa.com

Catch: Its only a few flurries out there!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago when they shut Gatwick and Edinburgh (luckily I was travelling from Heathrow, and got out with minimal problems). The UK is just not geared up for snow in the same way that Canada is. Large amounts of snow in the South of the UK are very very rare - and I am guessing justifying major amounts of money on equipement that will sit unused 364 days of the year is pretty hard. Yes, the last winter and this one have been very snowy, but people who I have talked to said they can't remember another year like it since they have been alive (50 + years).

From what I understand, there is de-icing equipment in LHR (and people tell me it has been shown repeatedly on the BBC news), but not nearly as much as somewhere like YYZ, and there are far fewer staff trained to use it.

In terms of staff not being able to get in - if the public transport stops working (buses, tube etc.) and people do not have snow tires, nor any knowledge of how to drive in the snow, what are they supposed to do? I am far from an expert at driving in snow, but I have managed a fair few winters here so far, but I wouldn't want to drive on the unplowed, ungritted UK roads, with no snow tires, in a car with no traction control (not as common as it is over here), and with other idiots who think a 4x4 is in fact a snowmobile but in reality, also don't have those things!

If you want a comparison, it would be like saying Toronto's power grid should be able to deal with 40 degrees C temperatures all summer (after all, they do in the UAE) but because it is a very rare occurance that temps reach anywhere near that level, instead on investing millions in upgrading the grid just in case, we deal with brown outs instead.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I don't think anyone can fairly criticize LHR for not having enough snowplows and other assorted heavy snow-related equipment. But it would be fair to criticize them for not having and executing a communication plan. Sh*t happens and airports should have contingency plans if for no other reason then to calm the public (read - VBITs; FFs should know how to handle these things with a touch of grace).

OTOH, I'm surprised that according to news reports FRA seems to be partially shut down. While the amount of snow may be atypical for them this time around, I wouldn't think it abnormal for FRA to see snow at all.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:26 am

extended Xmas holidays for ground crew i guess?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: A3*G
BRU airport authority has just announced they are suspending virtually all flying operations until Wednesday 22nd December morning at the earliest - they have run out of de-icing fluid. They have not been able to resupply because it normally comes in from France by road, but trucks have been banned from French motorways for some days due to the winter road conditions. This could impact anyone using the YYZ/YUL-BRU pair AC 832 and AC 833, and anyone connecting to/from Brussels.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It's like the volcano thing all over again but worse since the vacation hoards are our in full force!

My sympathies to all who are adversely affected by all this. It would seriously suck to be caught by this situation.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:26 pm

the brits need to call in the canadian army just like mel lastman did!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Unfortunately it is probably going to get much worse before it gets better.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2MM_Guy
Unfortunately it is probably going to get much worse before it gets better.
Indeed it looks bad....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12038847
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
the brits need to call in the canadian army just like mel lastman did!
Actually, that's the right answer, and no smilie needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.