Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MUC or Bust

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2001, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Apologizes for putting my mini-trip report here.

I got back from MUC yesterday and had a great trip. . .

My flight out of YYZ on Saturday left about 60 minutes late due to the de-icing. We had about a 2-3 inch wide band of snow on the leading edge of the wing and it took the de-icing crew about 30 minutes to "bath" the a/c. I wonder how AC pays for the de-icing, by the liter or a standard cost per AC.

The load was very light and I was pleased with the service - not great as the cabin crew kept disappearing for long periods of time.

We landed about 60 minutes late and I easily found the ground transportation facility. I tried to figure out how to use a credit card to purchase a subway ticket and gave up. The man working the desk helped me and recommended a 2 day unrestricted ticket (good for the subway and street cars) for 20 dm.

MUC while cold was excellent. It was the end of their Mardi Gras (I beleive) and everywhere I went they were throwing confetti and people were all dressed up having a great time. The only problem after about 3 hours I was frozen solid so I went back to the tourist booth at central train office to see where else I could go and was pleased to see a bus tour was leaving in 15 minutes so off I went. The tour was pretty interesting, at least for the parts I was awake - I ended up dozing on and off through out the 2.5 hour tour.

After the tour I headed back to my hotel - Hotel Jederman where I crashed at about 7:30 pm.

The next morning I was up by 6:00 AM and enjoyed their excellent continental breakfast and was out of the hotel by 7:00 am. I walked back to the central train station. I was very annoyed at myself for not planning a longer stay and wondered what would AC do if I showed up a day later to fly home - rather than find out I took the subway back to the Airport.

I got to the airport around 9:00 and what a ZOO!! I was glad that I could use the Star Alliance Gold check in and miss the line ups.

I went to the senator lounge and was surprised at the room decor, of should I say the lack of decor. I was VERY pleased at the selection of food and drink - sure puts the Red Carpet Lounges to shame and again I was pleased about the whole * alliance program.

One the trip home they apologized for not having the right aircraft on the route - the people in J class were given a coupon where they could either get 6,000 airmiles or a $200 travel voucher. Most didn't seem to care about the lack of executive first and I am basing that on the fact the 99% of them slept coming back.

The crew were the same on Monday as on my trip over on Saturday and commented they have noticed other people doing this trip over one night - I suggested it could be due to the web saver and the double aeroplan points.

The only negative part of the trip was customs at T1 in YYZ. We landed at the same time as 2 other 767 - I was in the immigration line for close to 45 minutes. I really wish they would set up the "cattle" lines used in so many other places.

I am now looking forward to the next international wwebsaver . . . what a blast! The only thing I would do differently is plan more time over there! It felt like I spent more time in the air than I spent on the ground!
Old Feb 27, 2001, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It is a nice weekend trip, particularly at that fare. I am glad to know I was not the only one having trouble with those transit ticket machines. I finally got my credit card to work, but worry how many charges went through on the other attempts!

Yes, thank goodness for that Gold STAR check-in. It was chaos for me on the Monday I flew back too. And the Senator Lounge is very convenient to the AC gate, while the LH Business lounge is in the next section of the terminal (and there is another set of lounges at the far domestic end of the terminal where I mistakenly checked in.

Old Feb 27, 2001, 9:39 am

Back Seat

Glad you had a good time in MUC.
Personally though I find an hour and a half is sufficient for European trips as discussed in the Sheraton bar!

We had the Exec.first on my two flights.

By the way how occupied was the y class?
Old Feb 27, 2001, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Skyhawk - overall the plane had about 110 open seats. In J there were about 12 of us.

I was really kicking my self for such a short trip - you should try and stay for at least a few more hours . .. you might like it

Shareholder - what is the difference between the Senator and the Business Class Lounge - or did you get a chance to compare them? When I checked in I was directed to the LH Business lounge, but at security they told me about the LH Senator lounge. By the way thanks again for the info about the subway and Munich it really helped.

Old Feb 27, 2001, 10:22 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

In J there were about 12 of us.

You mean you got upgraded on that fare?
Old Feb 27, 2001, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Old Feb 27, 2001, 10:31 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

How did you do it?
Old Feb 27, 2001, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Oh come on Empress, it's not that difficult. I flew 8 websaver segments last year and was upgraded on 6 of them.
Old Feb 27, 2001, 1:42 pm

Back Seat, the Senator Lounges are generally far less crowded than the business class ones. I have found the Lh business ones at times to be so crowded that I was unable to find a seat. First Class gets into Senator and I believe Star Gold.

They have a better champagne and pastry selection, All in all a more relaxing atmosphere.
Old Feb 27, 2001, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
As Skyhawk noted, the Senator Lounges are a bit more exclusive, for the use of F-class and STAR Gold passengers, and their own top tier FFers [who are STAR Gold, of course, but not the middle tier ones as with AC's Elites]. The quality of snacks and drinks is a bit higher and they are much less crowded, though the one we were in in MUC was smaller than most and I found it very crowded the day I was there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.