Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program Changes - I like it / It works for me.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program Changes - I like it / It works for me.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2010, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Thumbs up 2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program Changes - I like it / It works for me.

Like the title says: I like the 2011 program and will stick with AC-AE. It works for me.

I have been SE from 2004 to present. Before that I was E 1998-2003 IIRC (so long ago, so many flights ). The AE program has evolved and changed a lot over that time and AC as an airline has had to adapt and transform itself at least twice.

Somehow, I’ve managed to survive too, as has everyone else here….these are not life & death issues.

I fly domestic (QK exYQB feeding into Rapidair YUL-YOW-YYZ), quite a bit of TATL, an occasional TPAC and some short-haul into the Northeastern US. I’ve only had a pass once, so mostly I buy T+ on domestic and US. For international, I buy Latitude and UG at time of purchase, with one or two T+/SSWU trips.

Since 2000, I have yet to miss an UG on a flight where J was available and where I wanted to sit in front. From 2007 onwards, my travel has been on my own dime.

My benefits as a SE member will not be negatively affected by the 2011 move to eCerts and based on some quick calculating, I stand to gain a few more UG opportunities on domestic flights where I usually choose to sit in the back. I also evaluate that I will have at least one more T+ upgradeable TATL trip with the new system.

I see the move to an electronic based upgrade currency as a good move: no more long waits for threshold certs in the mail, no more losing (and replacing) certs, less scamming at the gate and availability of eCerts within 48 hours of earning them.

Not sure if this is a possibility, but I can also see AC using eCerts as a quick and valuable form of compensation for IROPS and other goat-related problems that can be delivered almost instantly to a customer. @:-)

Contrary to the hyperbole, the “vast majority” and “90%”, etc. of AC FFers are not against the 2011 program. I think we are confusing our little fantasy world here where 150 people, amongst the 200,000 or so AE members with P/E/SE status, dissect and debate the arcane minutae of the day-to-day ops of an airline (napkin eyelets, size of red peppers in omelettes ( Simon), the colour of FA ties and scarves and on and on)

We also forget that we are not involved in a spousal relationship with AC; we are in a commercial relationship between a customer and supplier of services, nothing more. It’s about business and money, ours and the company’s.

AC has to manage a complex beast to attain a balance between so many competing interests: customers (and the worldy and knowledgeable sub-set represented by this small group ), employees, shareholders, regulators, etc. The company seems to have concluded that it is not feasible to fund an “open-bar” UG system for low-yield customers with status. I believe that I will not be affected by the new program.

Today I called my sister who has just re-qualified for E, and a business associate who has been E for 5 years. I asked them what their thoughts were. Both were not aware that they could now make their 2011 selections, nor were they aware of the changes for the coming year. There was no shock, no indignation…..we talked about it a few minutes and I answered some questions for them, as I usually do for people at this time of year.

They made their 2011 selections online and then told me to get a life and stop bothering them with FFer issues; they had driveways to shovel, swimming lessons with kids and holiday shopping to do.

I invite everyone to step back from the overheated atmosphere that has developed here in the last 48 hours and do their own math. There is more than one type of FFer and the program has to find the balance to meet the expectations of most of them.

I think that we need to give the airline a chance to show that the 2011 changes can work well for its customers. There will be exceptions and that’s unfortunate. Should WWIII ensue ? C'mon....

I will speak for myself and say: I like the 2011 program and will stick with AC-AE. It works for me.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
NordsFan, I think you put things into perspective quite nicely. The new program won't work for me quite as well (no Latitude flights internationally) but it's not that bad -- and there really aren't any better choices, given my views on the hard product and my flying patterns.

"Don't sweat the small stuff ... and it's all small stuff."
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by NordsFan
I will speak for myself and say: I like the 2011 program and will stick with AC-AE. It works for me.
Glad to hear the new program works for you! ^

I wish I could say the same for me.

I mainly do TATL lfights Europe-West Coast and mostly buying Latitude fares with the odd T+ fare (4-5 roundtrips/year) and unfortunately the new system won´t work too well for me. Really a pity as I enjoy flying AC.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I think its more than 150 people who are dissatisfied. I think no upfront communication about the changes (no transparency) is the problem. I don't fly Air Canada because its often more expensive anyways, and when I do pay for a flight, I look at the bottom dollar, not where I can rack up the points. I do fly AC when I can redeem my points on the metal.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will stay the course
Old Dec 11, 2010, 9:22 pm

considering AC/AE as a package, its not that bad..... only thing i might lose is the return portion of a TPAC trip, but i could always shorten one executive class trip or get Z fares to EWR and bail out @ YYZ

Good thing behind this is probably reduced Aerolotto
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
The program works well for me too.

The change to ecredits from certs and the number of credits given this year vs the number of paper certs we used to get is setback from last year, however it will not effect me at all given my travel patterns.

The combination of AC and AP is still out and away the best for me.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:16 pm

Like the title says: I like the 2011 program and will stick with AC-AE. It works for me.

I have been SE from 2004 to present. Before that I was E 1998-2003 IIRC (so long ago, so many flights ). The AE program has evolved and changed a lot over that time and AC as an airline has had to adapt and transform itself at least twice.

Somehow, I’ve managed to survive too, as has everyone else here….these are not life & death issues.

I fly domestic (QK exYQB feeding into Rapidair YUL-YOW-YYZ), quite a bit of TATL, an occasional TPAC and some short-haul into the Northeastern US. I’ve only had a pass once, so mostly I buy T+ on domestic and US. For international, I buy Latitude and UG at time of purchase, with one or two T+/SSWU trips.

Since 2000, I have yet to miss an UG on a flight where J was available and where I wanted to sit in front. From 2007 onwards, my travel has been on my own dime.

My benefits as a SE member will not be negatively affected by the 2011 move to eCerts and based on some quick calculating, I stand to gain a few more UG opportunities on domestic flights where I usually choose to sit in the back. I also evaluate that I will have at least one more T+ upgradeable TATL trip with the new system.

I see the move to an electronic based upgrade currency as a good move: no more long waits for threshold certs in the mail, no more losing (and replacing) certs, less scamming at the gate and availability of eCerts within 48 hours of earning them.

Not sure if this is a possibility, but I can also see AC using eCerts as a quick and valuable form of compensation for IROPS and other goat-related problems that can be delivered almost instantly to a customer. @:-)

Contrary to the hyperbole, the “vast majority” and “90%”, etc. of AC FFers are not against the 2011 program. I think we are confusing our little fantasy world here where 150 people, amongst the 200,000 or so AE members with P/E/SE status, dissect and debate the arcane minutae of the day-to-day ops of an airline (napkin eyelets, size of red peppers in omelettes ( Simon), the colour of FA ties and scarves and on and on)

We also forget that we are not involved in a spousal relationship with AC; we are in a commercial relationship between a customer and supplier of services, nothing more. It’s about business and money, ours and the company’s.

AC has to manage a complex beast to attain a balance between so many competing interests: customers (and the worldy and knowledgeable sub-set represented by this small group ), employees, shareholders, regulators, etc. The company seems to have concluded that it is not feasible to fund an “open-bar” UG system for low-yield customers with status. I believe that I will not be affected by the new program.

Today I called my sister who has just re-qualified for E, and a business associate who has been E for 5 years. I asked them what their thoughts were. Both were not aware that they could now make their 2011 selections, nor were they aware of the changes for the coming year. There was no shock, no indignation…..we talked about it a few minutes and I answered some questions for them, as I usually do for people at this time of year.

They made their 2011 selections online and then told me to get a life and stop bothering them with FFer issues; they had driveways to shovel, swimming lessons with kids and holiday shopping to do.

I invite everyone to step back from the overheated atmosphere that has developed here in the last 48 hours and do their own math. There is more than one type of FFer and the program has to find the balance to meet the expectations of most of them.

I think that we need to give the airline a chance to show that the 2011 changes can work well for its customers. There will be exceptions and that’s unfortunate. Should WWIII ensue ? C'mon....

I agree. It works for me. Much of my flying for 2011 already booked and upgraded, including some NA flights I thought I might have to fly in the back on. Some later year stuff will be fine once I hit the 20K and 40K. The new E 60K bonus will offer a nice start to 2012. Also planning on taking advantage of the easier upgrading to Cancun and Bermuda. Coupled my paid flights in summer to/from Europe with an easy to get J award ticket for my wife, so we have a nice vacation in France and UK in August all booked and all in J
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Before that I was E 1998-2003 IIRC (so long ago, so many flights ).
1998 was the year I first signed up for Aeroplan and became AE basic. Back then the first AE card I got was a flimsy plastic one before they replaced it with a hard plastic one few years later.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Jury is still out for me.

Looking at the number of certs I got as an E in the past couple of years versus how many I've actually been able to use (Lat fares are a luxury for me) I'm about even.

Will it make me consider other airlines or *A partners? Probably no more or less so than before.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
The program works well for me as well, thanks for posting Nordsfan. I sent a quick email to Ben and Calin to let them know as well. I have complained in the past so will let them know my support on this one.

I was even able to keep the Mrs. Happy this year with the MLL buddy pass!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: AC75 MM
I think it will work for me - at least the number of usable upgrades may be slightly ahead (based on this year's travel pattern as a template)

But where I may lose out is that the new system is fairer to everyone, which means the FT tricks, like how to call at 12:01am and how to OLCI at 24hrs even with a conencting flight etc are no longer our prerogative!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I may actually come out ahead wrt upgrades in 2011 due to my flying patterns....but, as I have done in the each of the past 2 years, am looking at alternatives now before the new flying year starts...

What is bugging me is the high taxes, yq and other fees I need to pay on an award ticket- issues I believe would not be there if AC owned AP...

I have 4 kids - to fly 6 of us to SFO next summer in economy will cost me >$1200 in taxes and fees- if I was on a us- based carrier, it would be ~$300...
I can't really use my AP miles to book on United for lower fee, because I will not get the number of seats I require.

I did use some US Air point in Ot to fly with my son on AC to SFO, and I was only charged ~$50 ea in taxes and fees....

The last time we all flew to Europe on AC on awards, it cost me >$3000!!

Plumber
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
I like it

I think the new system will work for us. I do a lot of intl J or ug from lat fares. I sometimes trAvel with my 2 children so the nominee option looks great. My wife made P this year so our options are better. I would like more ecerts to start as E, but the threshold certs seem OK. I have a lot of paper left over this year. More flexibility works for me.

Change is difficult. There will be new opportunities available.

I moved from NW (now DL) to AC a couple of years ago. Anyone thinking of moving to DL will likely not be pleased. CO is a great airline but who knows what the new UA-CO will bring. UA has YWG locked in with only CRJs to ORD or DEN. My experience is that AC Y trumps most other NA J/F. AC has a good intl J and midtiers enjoy the opportunity to ug easily to J.

I will stay with AC and likely fly 60 k or so next year.

If E remains at 35 k, may I suggest a 4 tier program with 25, 35, 75 and 100/125? There is a lot of space between E and SE and the perceived change in benefits reflects this.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:26 am

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I hope everyone has fun trying to book their mini-RTW F reward flights on UA and CO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.