Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Tally of actual lost AC revenue due to 2011 AE program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nothing speaks louder than real numbers.

Please list here actual (not planned) revenue lost due to 2011 Aeroplan cutbacks.

Here is my first feedback to AC.

4 WestJet flights YWG-YOW $ 1908.44

Tango instead of Tango Plus $104.10
_________

$ 2012.54

PS. Not much....but it is a start !!!!!!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: AC
Booked a flight, BRU to YYZ in January.

Price on AC for T+ was about $850 or so.

Ended up going United/continental through EWR for $792 taxes in.

So that is another $792. As mentioned before, more than happy to go back to AC if they fix this program and give us what we thought we were earning.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by airbus320
4 WestJet flights YWG-YOW $ 1908.44
But, aren't you just punishing yourself for that?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:32 am

I took the train for 20 years over the Windsor -> Montreal corridor, once a month. Via Preference rewards members really nicely who travel a lot. I used to get four 50% off coupons a year, plus accumulated a lot of points.

And if I miss a train my ticket is cashable, I don't have to go through security, I can show up 10 minutes before the train leaves, and I travel downtown to downtown, and I have free internet all the way.

I switched from the train to Air Canada this year because by doing so I could squeak over the line for Super Elite. I don't care about concierge, I care about getting as many upgrades as I can for use in travel to Asia. Since this has been gutted, my monthly expense of $900 on Air Canada that booted out Via Rail has been dropped, and I will travel 2011 on the Windsor -> Montreal corridor on the train again. So that's $10,000 right there.

My Asia flights I will be evaluating. I was on United Business Class from Tokyo to Beijing and it surprised me how good it is.

For Las Vegas, I will probably start flying with US Air. I have in the past, connecting in Charlotte means I can buy some good BBQ sauce, I have Wifi on the planes, and US Air has always had cheaper flights on routes like this.

Caribbean there is usually one direct flight a day from Montreal but they really try to get you to fly from Toronto (I don't want to get up at 3am to make the 6am direct flight from Montreal), so the lack of directs doesn't bother me flying US Air.

My main question from here is going to be which FF program will provide me the best benefits.

I stayed with Air Canada out of loyalty, Aeroplan Elite was something I liked, and I consciously was paying more with Air Canada because I felt the planes and service were a better product. But with the program gutted, the dollars and service are the only things that set it apart and really for short flights in Canada and the USA I think I will be better off saving a couple hundred dollars on a flight by taking the best price offered instead of staying on Air Canada metal. That is going to return thousands of dollars to my own pocket.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
But, aren't you just punishing yourself for that?
"For that".... loyalty is a two way street....There is nothing wrong with WestJet and I don't upgrade domestically.

There comes a time in life when you have to stand up for your beliefs...even if you have to forego status in 2012
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by airbus320; Dec 10, 2010 at 8:41 am Reason: second more sober thoughts
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:08 pm

While the change to the top tier benefits does not directly affect me, being a mere AP Peon, next year is the first year I will be within reaching distance of Elite with 2 planned trips to Europe (1 with my family of 4 for a wedding) and 1 down south. I was considering doing a MR to NRT to top up my account and get Elite status but that's now off the table. Instead we will all be redirecting our travel and be using BTV instead of using YUL. It will mean 1 extra connection and that madness that is TSA but so be it. At least we will save substansial $$.

So on our side the revenue lost will be :

4 X Europe flights : 1200$ a piece - 4800$ total
1 X Europe fight for myself - 900$
1 X Florida trip - 400$

And I won't be taking that Asian MR I was thinking about.

I just can't patronize a company that would treat its best customers that way.

Last edited by Canibus; Dec 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Due to my travel changes this year I see spending about $25k more for myself and my sales staff due to changes we are implementing. That should take care of any losses in the posts so far.

It's not often changes actually benefit me so let me gloat for at least a little while.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:39 pm

thats all? SQ PPS requires $25K USD just to renew each year
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
thats all? SQ PPS requires $25K USD just to renew each year
On top of my spend this year which is significantly above that figure.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by stinger
On top of my spend this year which is significantly above that figure.
forgot to mention.... that of the 10 years in that PPS program, never got an upgrade...not even once

interesting to see what happens to my AC share prices next year....hope they made the right macroeconomic decision
Old Dec 10, 2010, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by stinger
Due to my travel changes this year I see spending about $25k more for myself and my sales staff due to changes we are implementing. That should take care of any losses in the posts so far.

It's not often changes actually benefit me so let me gloat for at least a little while.
Quit acting like it's your own money and fess up that you work for a large corporation.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
YYZ-LHR x 2 = $2000 - I'll fly UA/CO

YYZ-LAX x 4 = $2000 - Virgin, anyone?

YYZ-YYC x 4 = $3000 - Might as well try Westjet!

That's just in the first 6 months - not sure about the rest of the year.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: AC SE
Count me in for about $15000-$18000. South America, South Africa, Europe about 7 times, multiple NA flights...
Old Dec 10, 2010, 6:49 pm

Lets make it real, lets have a share file of booked tickets outside of AC; of course with a big black pen. lets really show and prove how much AC will loose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.