Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program Changes - General Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Air Canada Top Tier Program Changes - General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:03 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Garbageman
I'll continue to enjoy my *A benefits, but my mileage with AC next year will be 10,000 miles and not one more if I can help it since I now have no hope in upgrading.
Same here. I bought M and B fares this year (five trips across the Atlantic) to get the upgrades. Now, I will fly AC to get my 5 Segments, but if something isnt done to change this program, most of my flying will be with other airlines who are offering a much cheaper way across the Atlantic. A drive from Buffallo to Toronto to save some money will be well worth it I think.

Originally Posted by Becreative;
josh.. actually all ffs are getting fleeced on this and to a certain extent AC will get fleeced too. i am not sure if they have realized that most of us that would buy M class fares due to the abundance of SWUs will now either buy the cheapest fares (not many credits) or fly with other * partners... so in essence this might have an impact on their revenues and down the road maybe their load factors and pricing power as well
Yeah, you are right. SE's did fare somewhat better, but this certainly isnt the impressive change that AC made it out to be. I am actually quite dissapointed. I like many others will have to seriously look at the travelling patterns over the next year. Not Happy.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:04 am

The main change here is that upgrading M fares now not only has to wait for the window but also costs more of your upgrades. Previously Latitude vs M just meant you had to wait for the window but you still got just as many assuming they cleared.

I'm really in the worst corner with this. Previously I chose 6 SWU + 2 SSWU. In 2010 I used every last one of them on 4 return M flights from LHR-SFO and 1 M flight to LHR-YUL and 1 Tango flight LHR-YUL. (Actually that's not quite right due to some quirky changes that won't repeat next year)

Under the new system that would cost 4*15 + 2*10 + 2*14 = 104 credits. I would only have 35 + 10 + 10 = 55 credits. So I got nearly twice as much benefit last year as I expect this year.

The 55 credits won't even by able to upgrade my two return business trips (SFO) let alone my personal trips to YUL. I've gone from 4 upgraded return trips to less than 2.

To some degree this is just my personal travel patterns. If I wasn't travelling > 5,000 miles on M fares for at least half my travel it wouldn't be so bad. I was just lucky enough to maximize my benefit under last year's system and be the worst-hit on this year's system.

Even if I only upgrade as far as YYZ or YVR that would still be 40 credits leaving me with 15 credits to use on my personal flights. Enough for a single leg.

The really bad part is that when I say above there were some quirks last year, one of those quirks was that I upgraded a colleague when we were returning from a conference. I clearly don't have any credits available to do that this year. That's going to make me feel pretty terrible.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan*E
Silver lining?

At least AC just saved me 2600 bucks... I was going to buy a Flight Pass for use this year, and without the opportunity to use the NAUs and blue wallpaper on it, that $2600 can stay in my bank account.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I´m just wondering whether any Es benefit from these changes?

I´ve been doing all sorts of calculations and the only group of people who seem to slightly benefit are FFs who solely fly on B/Y fares within North America:

formerly: 4SWUs +4 NAU certs (+3SWUs)
now: 16 (20) upgrade credits with a few credits to spare

The Es who got burnt most are:

- all Es who selected 2 SSWUs for int´l trips (even if they never used their SWUs)
- all Es who selected 4+2 SWUs for int´l travel to upgrade Lat fares, the devaluation obviously is much worse for those who regularly bought M fares
- all Es who generally bought flight passes booking into M (e.g. London FLight Pass)

I don´t think this is a good day for either FFPs or AC!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:20 am

Programs: A3*G, AP Basic, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold
I posted this in another thread a few days ago:

Title: E-Upgrades Credits...Good, Bad, or Ugly?

That is the burning question I have:

I'm really hoping that whatever e-upgrade credit system AC has developed will not cut the number of overall upgrades that we currenlty receive. I'll be very disapointed if I have to use a disporportionate number of credits to upgrade from T+ compared to Lattitude fare thus resulting in an overall decrease in the number of upgrades I'm able to request. As E, I'm expecting to be able to choose e-upgrade credits equal to 2xSSWU, and 2xSWU or 4xNAU.

The upgrades are one of the main reason I choose to spend my own money AC to get status (Yes I do this all on my own dime...will be just shy of 55 000Status Miles of which 54 000 is on AC). Even though I'm only E I've been able to use up most of my u/g cert over the few years. Buying a Lattitude fare is out of the question for me since I'm not traveling for work or billing clients.

Both Ms epost77 and I will be E next year and we hope we made the right decision to spend on AC Hears hoping to no devaluation in the AC Top Tier programs!!!

Now we have our answer: UGLY!!!!!!

As E I get nowhere near the u/g opportunity. I fly on my own dime so as of this moment I will no longer stive for any status with AC/AE. I will just use my AMEX Plat card to access the lounge and get priorty checking, etc.

VERY DISAPPOINTED...and will vote with my wallet!

Last edited by epost77; Dec 9, 2010 at 6:26 am
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:21 am

Programs: aerplan elite
not Even worth of 2 sswu for Elites any more

pretty bad for Elites, who travel to Asia, I used all my SSWU for trips to Asia, but I think as an Elite , I will only get 25 credit to start with if I choose tier bonus miles. united it offering unlimited upgrades for north america to their members and Air Canada trying hard to screw their own members.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by epost77
Now we have our answer: UGLY!!!!!!

As E I get nowhere near the u/g opportunity. I fly on my own dime so as of this moment I will no longer stive for any status with AC/AE. I will just use my AMEX Plat card to access the lounge and get priorty checking, etc.

VERY DISAPPOINTED...and will vote with my wallet!
Unfortunalely I have to agree with you, I´m in the same boat as you are, >95% of my flights being on my own dime.

IMO AC should have at least given Es the equivilant of 2 SSWUs (=40 upgrade credits), 25 credits is just ridiculous.

I wonder what all the other regular posters of the AC forum think of the recent "enhancements"?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:39 am

I just looked at the booking engine - before if you wanted M you clicked "upgradable fares" and selected your cert. Now - unless I'm missing something - you can't book M fares online.

I don't like the nominees option - i rarely travel on the same itinerary as someone else (different start or end dates) - so this means I can never upgrade my travel companion I can only upgrade people I nominate.

In 2009 I used 2 SSWUs 1 LHR and 1 PEK(via vancouver)
That would translate to roughly 14 + 10 + 20 credits = 44 credits
This year I used 2 SSWUs - 1 LHR and 1 HNL (via YYC)
That would translate to roughly 14 + 10 + 15 credits = 39 credits

I fail to see how this new system is better.

I fly for leisure, flying 35K for 1 upgrade a year is not worth it.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:40 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
With this new program it's much better to drop from SE to E, then re-qualify for instant SE and get a new set of credits on top of the meagre offering for E.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I would hope people will use their "wallpaper" up to Feb 28th, bank some extra ecerts while they can.

I have a SYD flight coming in January, so I can save my certs and get the extra 15.

I did not have the opportunity to use many SWUs/NAUs this year if this affords people who cannot (see: cheap clients) to purchase higher T+/L fares, this could work out OK...

i think the only way to know for sure is to stress test the system...

Programs: AC E, SPG Plat, FPC Plat
Done with the Status Game

New Years Resolutions

1. Enjoy what SuperElite/AC has to offer for 2011
2. Stop falling for loyalty program spin
3. Start insisting on value for dollar spent

And that will mean flying Porter a little more

(there are better options out there - even to Thunder Bay).

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Unfortunalely I have to agree with you, I´m in the same boat as you are, >95% of my flights being on my own dime.

IMO AC should have at least given Es the equivilant of 2 SSWUs (=40 upgrade credits), 25 credits is just ridiculous.

I wonder what all the other regular posters of the AC forum think of the recent "enhancements"?
I agree completely. They should have just made it simple. You need 10 ecert points = SSWU, 6 ecert points = SWU and so on. They have made it super complicated, frustrating, and completely unfair, and the system isnt even in place yet. Not a great day here at all.

Guess I should start looking at M&M or another program that is more Europe based! I hope they will read this and discover that this new program is not a popular one.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:43 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Seriously??? I decide to cancel an upgrade and might have to pay a fare difference? That is BS.
This is no different than today. You book in R, you release your original booked class, if you cancel your upgrade and the original booked class is not available and a higher class is used, then you pay the fare difference. Just that no one here has done this often so they don't run into this problem. It's not BS, it's just formalizing what has been the rule ever since upgrades have been in place.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
I'm pissed about the 12 eCredits for SE for Flight Pass activities - that isn't even one SSWU! Very pissed about that!!! We should get 28 as per this years' program.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: A3*G, AP Basic, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RockoHorse

I fly for leisure, flying 35K for 1 upgrade a year is not worth it.
Absolutely agree!!!

I'll now choose to spend my money on 5* hotels where I can enjoy the amenities for longer than a few hours and don't have to play aerolotto!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.