Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YVR domestic to US transfer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

YVR domestic to US transfer

I did a search but did not come up with anything clear--I am trying to find out if transiting from Domestic to US in YVR do we have to retrieve our bags and go through US customs or is it like the olympics time where you only retrieve your bags if the US Customs wants you to beacuse they do a video check of the bags?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:31 pm

Yes, I travelled from Edmonton to Vancouver then on to San Diego. Just before US customs, they will present you with an image of your luggage for you to confirm. Then you proceed through US customer only with your carry on. much easier and very efficient! (No Nexus!! when you arrive in vancouver domestically going onto the US).
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
YEG-YVR-SFO, same experience as DJLenin -- video check of your bags

As an additional note, if you're doing domestic to US transfer and it just so happens that the airport is configured such that you walk through YVR international, don't try to use the int'l MLL -- they will refuse you access

edit: but then again i'm just some lowly E, as an SE you might have better luck than me ;p
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
But then again - the US MLL is better than the international MLL (in spite of the renovations). More space, same food and wine, and none of the heat you get if it happens to be a sunny day due to the SW facing windows which can make it unbearably hot.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by DJLenin
Yes, I travelled from Edmonton to Vancouver then on to San Diego. Just before US customs, they will present you with an image of your luggage for you to confirm. Then you proceed through US customer only with your carry on. much easier and very efficient! (No Nexus!! when you arrive in vancouver domestically going onto the US).
Welcome to FT, DJLenin. Yes, that is the procedure, and no, the NEXUS lanes are not accessible if you transfer internally. I would think this could become an issue during peak periods, as there only seem to be two agents for connecting flights, and that it may be easier to exit and re-enter completely to be able to use NEXUS. Can anyone confirm this?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by okazon69
Welcome to FT, DJLenin. Yes, that is the procedure, and no, the NEXUS lanes are not accessible if you transfer internally. I would think this could become an issue during peak periods, as there only seem to be two agents for connecting flights, and that it may be easier to exit and re-enter completely to be able to use NEXUS. Can anyone confirm this?
6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. I've tried both ways (although I haven't done this in the past few months).

You can certainly go land side and used the Nexus to bypass. When I did this I found the security screening with the people originating at YVR to be a hassle (even with priority line, etc.).

When I stayed air side I found the line up at US customs to be a hassle, but then security was very easy (I can't remember, it was either there was no additional screening required, or there was no line because of the bottleneck with the US customs people).

IMHO it is (only slightly) better to stay air side and put up with the line up at US customs).
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies--sets my mind at rest. Mrs ac777 is going to do this. She is a lowly E so I'll ask her to use the US side MLL.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: meh
Originally Posted by YEG USER
When I stayed air side I found the line up at US customs to be a hassle, but then security was very easy (I can't remember, it was either there was no additional screening required, or there was no line because of the bottleneck with the US customs people).

IMHO it is (only slightly) better to stay air side and put up with the line up at US customs).
I did this a few times last spring during the afternoon. The line up at the airside security always was non-existent (I actually interrupted a staff meeting when I arrived there once). Once I got the left arrow while playing DDR. I'm not sure if that was the trigger, or if it was my "Winner, winner, chicken dinner" comment, but I got SSSS'd at that point.

After they tore apart my bag, I went through to US customs and was the only person waiting in the airside lineup (the regular line was massive). The guy closest to the "wait here" sign waved me over as his next person and off I went. I think I cleared that whole process, including the SSSS, and was in the lounge in about 15 minutes.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:01 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by tomvancouver
But then again - the US MLL is better than the international MLL (in spite of the renovations). More space, same food and wine, and none of the heat you get if it happens to be a sunny day due to the SW facing windows which can make it unbearably hot.
Plus the US MLL has a shower which I think the international MLL doesn't have. Plus, the US MLL doesn't have a snarky power-tripping lounge maid like the YVR domestic MLL
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:21 am

Vancouver to LA

When flying direct from YVR to the US does the Customs/Security have a priority/First Class line?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by DeltaAggie01
When flying direct from YVR to the US does the Customs/Security have a priority/First Class line?
Yes, you will recieve a fast track sticker on your boarding pass when you check in.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:34 am

Thx cedric!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by okazon69
This an example of "learning something new everyday"!

Recently, had to go to LAX via YVR from YYZ. I did not know that there is an internal transfer and transferred the long way (i.e. outside and back in). I promised myself never to do that again!

Now I have some hope of repeating the experience but with the airside option. As stated later, if there was Nexus, it would be icing on the cake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.